Washington Is it legal in Washington to drive with the doors off?

I talked to a retired WSP Trooper/friend of mine today and asked about driving doorless. He said he never stopped, and had never heard of any other troop stopping, a doorless Jeeper. He did say driving with no side mirrors wasn't wise.

Reactions: JMT and mushdogs
I talked to a retired WSP Trooper/friend of mine today and asked about driving doorless. He said he never stopped, and had never heard of any other troop stopping, a doorless Jeeper. He did say driving with no side mirrors wasn't wise.
Appreciate that report. I am finally planning to take the top off of the Jeep tomorrow. It has been 11 days of wonderful weather (apart from a couple of light rains) and I have got to get it off. I was planning to get a mirror like this. What do you think? I saw this on a thread somewhere about 6 months ago. Thought it was a better idea than relocating the mirrors or buying some of the useless Quadratec ones that someone, no doubt, will now sing praises over.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PM1LBQ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: tomtaylz
If we had to always live by the pettiest of laws, I’m sure that we would all become so tired that we would violently break them.
There’s still laws on the books that you can’t tie a horse outside a bank as well and I don’t see that being a pressing need anymore.

You’ll be fine as long as you have mirrors. When I moved out here I read through the laws and had my flat fenders made for compete tire coverage. I settled in an area just across the Sound from Seattle and have no state inspections and no emissions testing... you chose the wrong side of the state my friend 🤫😁

There’s still laws on the books that you can’t tie a horse outside a bank as well and I don’t see that being a pressing need anymore.

You’ll be fine as long as you have mirrors. When I moved out here I read through the laws and had my flat fenders made for compete tire coverage. I settled in an area just across the Sound from Seattle and have no state inspections and no emissions testing... you chose the wrong side of the state my friend 🤫😁
I’m seeing a mixture of Jeeps and trucks with full tire coverage. Seems like it’s not enforced. IDK. If it is I’ll get some Rubicon flares and a wheel without as much BS.

After talking to my friend, I'd run a Harley style mirror on each side. The H-D mirrors may not work that well, but they would be easily visible for the police.
There was a thread on here about 2 years ago where the HD mirrors came up. At the time they looked like the best option. It’s just another thing to put on or take off. The stock relocation brackets avoid another step but IIRC the passenger mirror becomes useless.

Passenger mirror definitely useless with doors on. Maybe cj mirrors would work.
5FEDD289-0E4B-4F0B-990F-FFDD0D03C23D.png

I am doorless in Washington most of the summer. I regularly pass by and park near cops on the "Eastside" (Redmond, Woodinville, Snohomish) without incident and didn't even consider that it might be illegal until I read this thread.

Unless they are looking for an excuse to pull you over, I cannot imagine that anyone inbbn this state cares about your doors.

Reactions: JMT
Hey fellow Washingtonian’s. We just moved here and I’m trying to find out if it’s legal to drive public roads with the doors off. The legal code 517 is ambiguous since it doesn’t really address the issue. What’s the law?

I've always had really good luck tracking down an officer or going to the local PD and asking. Most of the time they are honest about how things are enforced state wide.

Emissions testing ends 1/1/20 statewide. Although if you need a test in Dec, 2019 you are still required to get tested to get yor new tabs even if you wait until 2020.

Reactions: Quigley
@JMT, I've lived here my whole life and jeeps have always run around doorless. I drove my cj5 without doors all the time whether around town or highway/interstate. Never have been bothered by law enforcement about the issue. Of course, if you're doing something that gets their attention all bets are off.

Reactions: JMT
Fellow Tri-Citian here, ran all summer no doors, passed by multiple PD, no issues. (Even had no rear view mirrors or third brake light)

My wife just got a fix it ticket for driving with her doors off. 2 mirrors installed. Cop said she had to have the metal bars or put the doors back on. Said to send a picture with doors on or he will send another ticket.
I’m really surprised at that. Good thing is it’s a quick and easy “fix” but still. I lived in Washington for a year and had no doors almost the whole time with no issues.

Quick story: Recently moved to Oregon, I pull up at some gas station on the coast and I can see there is a state trooper with lights blazing at the pump like whoever he pulled over slid in there. Anyway I pull in opposite side of him (both our driver doors are lined up) and as he finishes ticketing that guy he glances over at me and my Jeep which has no doors, no top, and a toddler riding in the front passenger seat.

There is a cold stare for like 30 seconds, then I give him a nod, he nods back, and he closes his door and drives away. Total badass moment. 🤣

My wife just got a fix it ticket for driving with her doors off. 2 mirrors installed. Cop said she had to have the metal bars or put the doors back on. Said to send a picture with doors on or he will send another ticket.
What city or town if you don’t mind me asking, or which side of the state?

Reactions: zebra12
That's actually shocking to me. I've run doors off and one mirror for 10 years and never had an issue. I've even been pulled over with that configuration and it wasn't even mentioned.