Is It Legal to Drive With Your Doors Off?

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
The answer to this question, of course, depends on the vehicle statutes for your state. For instance, in PA:

PA inspection code states - § 175.77 (f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Apparently this is open to interpretation, whereby officers may cite Jeep Wrangler w era for driving doors off. There is a new petition up at Change.org speaking to this here:

https://www.change.org/p/pennsylvan...ents_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

However, I've just been reading through Colorado statutes before falling asleep here and cannot find anything prohibiting driving DO.

Anyone know of a definitive guide/resource that speaks to all states and the legalities surrounding using off road equipment as a DD?

I've never read about a problem driving without doors, only that state statutes vary in the number of rear facing mirrors that are required.

You are fine in CO, I have passed a lot of highway patrol officers without doors, and I don't have mirrors either. From what I understand in CO, you are good with just a rear view

I think y'all are missing my question. I am not asking if it's legal in Colorado - I know it is from reading the statutes myself via LexisNexis

My question was (and is):

Does anyone know of a definitive resource (say an app, website or reference manual) that speaks to all states and the legalities of using off-road gear in a DD?

All states have their own regs regarding vehicle equipment. Only a few have wording like PA. In BC our law states any vehicle manufactured with doors must have doors installed. It is an $87.00 fine to drive doorless.

Your only real source is to read each state statute. They can change at any time and I sure wuld not have much faith in someone elses research. Like you said, depends on the police officers interpretation. Also depends on wether they even care to enforce it.

Reactions: Serbonze
Bummer. I know most states publish their statutes to LexisNexis so was trying to find an app or site that might have compiled this stuff via an API to keep it current. I guess since some states don't publish to LN, it'd be hard to have any kind of dynamic resource that stays current.