Is it legal to have your doors off in your state?

Actually AZ's law is only when the ride "is constructed or loaded in a manner that obstructs the driver's view to the rear" so that I can't turn my head to see out the back. Wheeling without doors and side mirrors are not an issue.

Out here there is no law against it that I know of...been next to cops at lights and the only reaction I get is 'Nice Jeep' or 'That beats air-conditioning'.
if the doors provide structural strength to the overall vehicle then they need to stay on...but the TJ doors aren't so over hear we are good to go. ( That's what a mechanic told me and he does the 6 monthly safety checks we need to have out here to stay legal)

I really try to only do one illegal thing at once, since I also dont have a front license plate. I've never really gotten more than glance with my doors off but I live near a state trooper nest and a sheriff substation. Legally I should have a rear view and a drivers mirror i believe.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I remember reading somewhere that Jeep made the doors a no-cost option for the Wrangler. Since doors were not standard equipment, they'd be legal to remove. Anyone else familiar with this?

I don't know how that would apply to PA or BC as mentioned here. The posted BC memo states original, not standard, equipment. Out of curiosity, I pulled up the build sheet PDF I have for my 2003 Rubicon. Sure enough, the full doors are listed in the Optional Equipment section.

Pennsylvania appears to be the only state that you are legally required to have doors.

Here's a big fuck you to Pennsylvania!
Just remember without Pennsylvania there’d be no ‘Jeep’, oh & no United States to drive whatever abomination would’ve risen in its place anyway so don’t fuck us too hard :LOL:

It cracks me up every time this issue comes up, I get the impression people outside of PA think that if you take the doors off your Jeep cops swoop in & pounce. The reality is I’ve been here my whole life & I’ve seen (& been in) doorless Jeeps constantly out & about doing their thing in the presence of police without issue. I know a ton of people with Jeeps & don’t know of any that have ever gotten a ticket. It seems to be a very small minority of departments that enforce this inspection-related regulation, I think the overwhelming majority are a little too busy with actual law enforcement problems to worry about such trivial shit… If you live/drive in those areas that sucks, if you like going doorless anyway

I live in PA and see Jeeps with doors off pretty much daily in the country, but not in the city much. I even see four doors off the big SUV Jeeps. I have heard locally that people have gotten tickets, which is enough for me never to drive doorless. I got half doors and love it fine. I don't think I need no doors, but might drive around my little town just to see what it is like someday. I may never put my full doors back on now that I picked up sliding uppers. I just don't want to deal with police and no doors. Who needs that hassle. On a side note, somehow a motorcycle group got the helmet law repealed and now you can ride your motorcycle without a helmet. That was amazing and makes it really odd about doors on a Jeep. Ah well.

Just remember without Pennsylvania there’d be no ‘Jeep’, oh & no United States to drive whatever abomination would’ve risen in its place anyway so don’t fuck us too hard :LOL:

It cracks me up every time this issue comes up, I get the impression people outside of PA think that if you take the doors off your Jeep cops swoop in & pounce. The reality is I’ve been here my whole life & I’ve seen (& been in) doorless Jeeps constantly out & about doing their thing in the presence of police without issue. I know a ton of people with Jeeps & don’t know of any that have ever gotten a ticket. It seems to be a very small minority of departments that enforce this inspection-related regulation, I think the overwhelming majority are a little too busy with actual law enforcement problems to worry about such trivial shit… If you live/drive in those areas that sucks, if you like going doorless anyway

I figured that was the case.

Every state has little fringe laws like this. The issue is that most cops don't know every single law off the top of their head, so most of them don't even care to begin with.

A good friend of mine is a local sheriff and he always tells me about some of the stupid laws he's aware of in Oregon, and how even if he saw someone breaking one of those laws, he wouldn't even care.

Good to know they aren't really enforcing this one much, because social media would have you believe otherwise!

Reactions: Rick Flair
Maybe I'm a bit too flippant towards this, but I've never had any problems with the police (even in PA and Chicago). My jeep is fairly illegal in PA for tires sticking out of the fenders, no doors, no side mirrors, no license plate light, an emissions system that was broken for 8+ years, and a few other things. I even have to swap to my old snow tires to even get it to pass PA inspection (I always leave the full size spare on the back for fun).

At least in the part of PA I'm from, they don't seem to care very much. I see Jeeps driving around doorless all the time. @Westtown Willy put it best, it just isn't too much of a problem. Maybe every once in a while a cop will give someone a ticket for it, but most of the time I think they just don't care.

Reactions: Rick Flair
CO only requires a review mirror that allows you to see 200' and is not obstructed.

I live in PA and see Jeeps with doors off pretty much daily in the country, but not in the city much. I even see four doors off the big SUV Jeeps.

funny you mention that, when I'm in Philly (never in my TJ though) I see a lot of them, usually full on JKU brodozers (the kind @Chris likes) with the flashing lights & all that other bullshit. But then again you'd pretty much have to rob a liquor store in one to get the cops to even turn their head there...

I've supported all the annual 'petitions to change the door law' that circulate from time to time & I'll keep doing it when they come up, but truthfully I'm not much of a fan of going doorless on the road. Off road that's a different story, can't stand the doors at all, I want full visibility when I'm crawling through the trails. On the road I prefer the denim half doors, as someone said in another thread once mostly to lean my arm on...

FB_IMG_1564155097664.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that Jeep made the doors a no-cost option for the Wrangler. Since doors were not standard equipment, they'd be legal to remove. Anyone else familiar with this?

I don't know how that would apply to PA or BC as mentioned here. The posted BC memo states original, not standard, equipment. Out of curiosity, I pulled up the build sheet PDF I have for my 2003 Rubicon. Sure enough, the full doors are listed in the Optional Equipment section.
Mine are also optional equipment. On a rig I looked at with half doors it was standard.
Capture.JPG