Is it me or do these gas spout things suck

For the price, I think that should be one of those necessity things that one carries in their off-road "tool kit".

I didn't even know about this until you guys posted it, but it seems very handy to have. Not just for the Jeep either, I'm sure I could use this around the house for lawnmowers and other power equipment.
I've been using a siphon hose just like that (different manufacturer) for almost 20 years now. I won it in a raffle at Operation Shore Patrol in WA. They work great and no more fuel in the mouth! Filling small fuel tanks can be a challenge if you're not quick on the draw pulling the suction end out of your gas can. Once they get flowing they'll empty a 5 gallon can in short order.

Reactions: Chris
Is that a concern out there? What would happen to in individual if their can spouts were not "CARB legal"? Do you all have roving inspectors on the gov't payroll randomly inspecting gas can spouts?

Well using a non CARB spout would not be an issue in your home life, only like pagrey suggested, at OHV or use in a business.
The biggest problem is sourcing a good old school spout.

Admittedly that's why I never tried using one! I was always certain I'd end up with a mouth full of gas or something :LOL:
My guess is who ever designed it experienced that exact event one too many times!!! And I would also assume that the person that donated the one I won from the raffle shared that unfortunate experience. :unsure:

My guess is who ever designed it experienced that exact event one too many times!!! And I would also assume that the person that donated the one I won from the raffle shared that unfortunate experience. :unsure:

I'd have to say you're probably right on the money!

For just under $11, I think it's a no brainer!

Reactions: reddvltj
I purchased some of the yellow "water" spouts at the same time I purchased my Rotopax 2 gal. fuel containers and threw away the CARB spouts. When I replaced the Rotopax containers with a 20 liter NATO can I gutted the included CARB spout so it would flow freely, but have only used the spout when refueling others. For refueling the jeep I leave the can in place and use a Safety Siphon. I've had the same one since the mid-1980's. With its transfer rate of 3.5 gal./minute I can empty a jerry can in less than two minutes.

View attachment 110855

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTQI4A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://safetysiphon.net/

How do you keep the hose from dripping gas once you're done?

img_4837-jpg.jpg

Not for the rotopacks, but for "lawn equipment" style cans that stay upright it's also beneficial to get the snap on vents so the gas doesn't "chug" on it's way out.

Racing style cans have been my favorite lately.

Reactions: lowranger
I have 5 Blitz cans & only 1 nozzle that doesn't leak. I have a jiggler and have only used it gassing up the boat when it's in the slip. I havent used it at all gassing up the mower, golf cart, or jetski. It's a drag storing the hose on the vehicle.

I replaced the CARB nozzles with these. They're not much better. Gaskets don't stay put as you screw the cap on, plastic is cheap, etc.

Someone must make a descent nozzle for the millions of Blitz cans out there.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I have 5 Blitz cans & only 1 nozzle that doesn't leak. I have a jiggler and have only used it gassing up the boat when it's in the slip. I havent used it at all gassing up the mower, golf cart, or jetski. It's a drag storing the hose on the vehicle.
Someone must make a descent nozzle for the millions of Blitz cans out there.
I've used replacement spouts from this company and they work pretty good.

You can thank California for that piece of shit. They don't allow vapors to escape while fueling and this is what you get. There are many, many work a round's with after market spouts.

Which is crazy because just think of all the vapors that escape from the gas that gets spilled on the ground when using these. I ended up buying the metal Eagle cans to replace the plastic cans.
1566467291337.png

Reactions: chad
Hate these spouts so much that while road tripping through Canada last year I picked up a couple of 20 liter Scepter military style cans and a spout for them. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized I had forgotten to pick up a small 2 gallon utility can. Oh well, next time.

. . . unfortunately at some OHV parks people have been fined for non-CARB gas cans. I don't know how real the risk is, what can you believe these days?

The California statutes prohibit the manufacture, distribution and sale of non-CARB cans. There is no prohibition against possession of non-CARB cans by the end user. Fines for use or possession of non-CARB cans are Internet myth.

The current regulations are here: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fue...8.1294145678.1566497167-1783431058.1566497115

Reactions: reddvltj
Thanks Obama for the safety spouts on our gas cans

Obama had nothing to do with it.

The regulations were promulgated by the California Air Resources Board in 1999 and became effective in 2000. Gray Davis was the Governor of California (subsequently recalled) and Bill Clinton was President (post-impeachment). Obama was an Illinois state senator.

Reactions: Daryl and reddvltj
Still not Obama. Per the article, the Feds adopted the California rule in 2007, effective in 2009. George Bush was President.

I never liked Obama. Still don't. But he isn't to blame for everything - just almost everything.

I'm sorry, did I say it was Obama's fault?

It's just a funny article that pertains to the topic at hand.