Is it possible to activate Rubicon lockers over 10mph?

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
So I am told (haven't tested it out) that the factory Rubicon lockers de-activate at speeds over 10 mph and only work in 4 low.

Is there an easy way to allow them to work in 4 hi and speeds over 10 mph? Or is this a bad / dangerous idea? Mostly I was thinking it might be nice to have the rear locker work at speeds over 10 mph.

What is preventing them from working over 10 mph and in 4 hi? Is this an electronic issue or a mechanical one?

I'll bet if anyone has a solid answer for this one it's @Jerry Bransford

Awesome question though because I too would like to know if this is possible.

The Rubicon's lockers are locked out in 4Hi and faster speeds, they're really only meant for trails difficult enough that require crawling at ultra-low speeds. It's an electronic issue, which is accomplished by how they're wired and how the computer is programmed.

There's a way to wire around the issue, one source of information is at http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/TJLJmods/Locker_Defeat.htm but look for others too, it took me 10 seconds to find that using Google.

My Rubicon's lockers weren't working when I bought it used so I moved the compressors into the engine compartment and wired them myself with a pair of on-off switches. They're no more complicated to wire up than a pair of light bulbs, the locker compressors only require a switched 12v circuit. I can engage my lockers at any time, though I don't engage them unless it's a really challenging trail that the Jeep needs to crawl over.

Reactions: Chris
Lots of choices we want get over ruled by the safety and liability ninnies. My favorite is 2WD LO. Standard in the CJ2 with the twin stick and yes, the ability to lock up in 4HI, even lock the rear in 2HI would be nice... and a lot simpler than all the electronic sshit used to make sure we cannot do it.

All these threads reinforce my desire for a CJ2 with a carburetor... just have to add a couple of OxLockers.

Lots of choices we want get over ruled by the safety and liability ninnies. My favorite is 2WD LO. Standard in the CJ2 with the twin stick and yes, the ability to lock up in 4HI, even lock the rear in 2HI would be nice... and a lot simpler than all the electronic sshit used to make sure we cannot do it.

All these threads reinforce my desire for a CJ2 with a carburetor... just have to add a couple of OxLockers.

Makes me miss my 69 Camaro SS. Man that thing was simple to work on!

I'm ashamed to admit that I played with my lockers for the first time last night. (Thanks, Chris)

They worked perfectly. This is a testament to the awesomeness of our LJ/TJ Wrangler/Rubicons. I've had lots of off-road fun but never even needed the lockers.

I love my JEEP.