Is it possible to get better fuel economy from a Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Let's also not forget that when you remove your top and your doors, you're making the already shitty aerodynamics of the TJ even worse!

Reactions: Tldelaney
After a month of commuting on mixed hwy/city, I'm getting 23.6mpg imperial or 19.65 U.S. mpg on the 4 cyl SE. A fair mix of hills and some wind off the lake plus it's winter (we've had a cold sh*tty winter). It's a 35-40 minute drive each way and I can do all 5 days of the week on a tank of gas and still have 4-5 gallons left until it's dry. I can live with that.

After a month of commuting on mixed hwy/city, I'm getting 23.6mpg imperial or 19.65 U.S. mpg on the 4 cyl SE. A fair mix of hills and some wind off the lake plus it's winter (we've had a cold sh*tty winter). It's a 35-40 minute drive each way and I can do all 5 days of the week on a tank of gas and still have 4-5 gallons left until it's dry. I can live with that.

That is mileage you can be proud of for a TJ!

Never checked my fuel milage but I'm getting almost twice what my friend with a 3.8 running 37's is getting.
We fill up at the same place, ride a trail, fill up again and he usually puts in twice what i do.

Reactions: Chris
is it possible to get better mile per gallon from jeep wrangler tj??
Leave the top and doors on and treat it like anything else you want to get better MPG out of, add upgrades that help put more air through the engine and burn the fuel better and you'll go farther per gallon.

Best mpg is stock jeep......street tires, no lift, nothing. I have 35" mid terrains, 4.88 gears, 5 speed. I get between 13-14 mpg, city or highway. One time, I was trying to see how good it could do, so I drove through a tank full over fuel, taking off from a stop incredibly slow, coasting anytime I was approaching a traffic signal, avoiding the brakes,and got 16.1 mpg. I just ended up pissing off everbody on the road, and at one point was ready to kick my own ass....never again.

Reactions: TJ2 and Chris
One time, I was trying to see how good it could do, so I drove through a tank full over fuel, taking off from a stop incredibly slow, coasting anytime I was approaching a traffic signal, avoiding the brakes,and got 16.1 mpg. I just ended up pissing off everbody on the road, and at one point was ready to kick my own ass....never again.

Haha, I tried that once as well. It just pissed everyone off like you said and made them all pass me, a lot of them giving me the evil eye in the process (I don't blame them).

My wife, during the week drives her Dodge Journey with the 3.6 Pentastar, short trips around town. I checked her MPG according to the dash read out, 14.2 mpg. My TJ gets a constant 15.
We took a 100 mile trip last week, and I reset the MPG read out, and the Journey showed 26 mpg, but on short trips the TJ wins.

I think you might want to do another comparison test and leave the wife out of it. ;)

My lady gets 28mpg in the Elantra while I get 41mpg when I drive it. Ladies tend to have a heavy foot.

most JK drivers don't appreciate the Wrangler, and some our snobs. It's weird. Not all, but some... most?

I wonder if the dealers at the 'ship are still teaching jeep buyers about the wave?

I bought my first TJ (2000) back in 2002 and one of the first things they mentioned was the Jeep Wave. "Watch out for waving jeep drivers and be sure to wave back. It's a jeep thing!"

Is is "snobby" or that many aren't "Jeep" people? I see lots of them, more of the 4dr, with soccer moms driving. The 4dr is the new Tahoe to many folks, not a Jeep like we see them.
I saw a white JKU the other day with a soccer mom driving a Jeep full of little kids with all 4 doors removed, and she made sure all the kids inside waved to me as we passed. It was hilarious and adorable!

Reactions: TJ2
:argue::argue::argue:
I think you might want to do another comparison test and leave the wife out of it. ;)

My lady gets 28mpg in the Elantra while I get 41mpg when I drive it. Ladies tend to have a heavy foot.
My wife has two important peddles. A go fast and a brake hard. Her mpg is always 2-4 under mine plus her mpb (miles per brakejob) is about 30,000 less. I have learned to not coach

:argue::argue::argue:
My wife has two important peddles. A go fast and a brake hard. Her mpg is always 2-4 under mine plus her mpb (miles per brakejob) is about 30,000 less. I have learned to not coach
thats hilarious and sad all at the same time. i feel for ya brother

Reactions: JP98
I agree after owning my 4.0 auto tj 2006 if your looking a vehicle that will get you any were the TJ will do that rain snow mud what ever you will get there in the TJ at a price mine is stock and it loves its fuel like a fat kid eatting cake I get about 15 to 16 and I'm on the highway most of the time

I drive conservatively and I got 220 last fill up. Hills and all. All highway though. Rpms at 1900-2200 they hit 3000 going up hills. 55-60 all the way

put in a stroked 4.0 and 4.56 gears in my 97 without overdrive. best I ever get is 15 on the freeway and 10-12 on the trail. I understand the desire for better mileage and if I wanted it I probably should not have put the stroked motor in it as it does not need the HP. That being said, you will be trading mileage for off road performance regardless of what you start with.

Damn. Are you telling me I need to wave at all the Jeeps that drive by? I already get that from motorcyclists. It’s annoying to have someone wave at you expecting a wave back when you’re leaned over taking a 35mph turn at 70. Fortunately, I’m less likely to be doing crazy stuff like that in the Jeep.