Is it possible to have a true dual purpose Jeep?

where-do-you-see-yourself-in-10-years-i-have-29845594.png

Mine has been multi purpose for a long time.

Agreed - I think they are multi purpose the second they roll off the assembly line-

At the same time I have both sizes of 33 inch tire and wheel and there’s a noticeable difference in how much power it takes to turn my 12.5 x 33” mid tires vs my 10.5 x 33- And that is exactly how I ended up with both.

You can build a dual purpose rig that will handle well on and off road... But it takes a commitment to get there. You have to be willing to chase down the things that bug you. You have to put the time in to cycle the suspension, one more time to make sure that last change did what it was supposed to and didn't create another issue. You gotta spend some money cuz good parts ain't cheap and cheap parts ain't good.

I'm on the way with mine... It's been an extremely challenging and rewarding experience, I've learned a ton, and I've met some really great people along the way.

PS... Building for 33s really isn't that much different than building for 35s... It's basically the tires...

I did the math once upon a time, and I don't think 5.38 with a 4sp auto will have too high of RPM for highway. Right now, I just turn overdrive off. I have a 3.73. A 5.38 with OD is effectively 3.65. 5 speed math is different.

If I want full articulation with 35's, main difference will be adding a small body lift (and dealing with whatever problems that causes). I suspect the real difference is I have certain limitations with 15" rims and different ones with wider 17" rims. I don't think there is a guarantee a big brake kit will fit inside the 15" wheels.

I did the math once upon a time, and I don't think 5.38 with a 4sp auto will have too high of RPM for highway. Right now, I just turn overdrive off. I have a 3.73. A 5.38 with OD is effectively 3.65. 5 speed math is different.

What tire size did you do the math on?

This is a 35" tire.
42rle/33.875"/5.38=2762rpm @ 75mph
NV3550/33.875"/5.38=3122rpm @ 75mph

Reactions: rasband

If I want full articulation with 35's, main difference will be adding a small body lift (and dealing with whatever problems that causes). I suspect the real difference is I have certain limitations with 15" rims and different ones with wider 17" rims. I don't think there is a guarantee a big brake kit will fit inside the 15" wheels.

I'd argue that you should already have a body lift with 33s, because the tummy tuck is such a valuable modification... Assuming you're doing more difficult stuff than fire roads or beach cruising

Reactions: L J and psrivats
... I don't think there is a guarantee a big brake kit will fit inside the 15" wheels.

The 15" bbk fits inside a 15" wheel. And the 16" bbk will fit some 15" wheels, too. I have tried my 16" bbk on three different 15s and all have fit.

I don't have much to contribute, other than my Jeep is a daily, but has gone thru stages of ohh shiny, to WTF was I thinking. It's a thin line sir. 32's, or 33's is a good benchmark for a dual purpose rig, but do your homework. Gearing will be a make or break moment. I enjoyed my jeep on 31's more than any other upgrade.

I would like to get to the point where I am confident enough to try rock crawling and some of the more difficult trails in Colorado as well as Utah &AZ as I travel there frequently to visit family. I want to be able to explore more in Colorado than just I-70 and I-25. But definitely easier stuff to start and learn what I am doing. I don't want to have to rebuild it later because I didn't do it right the first time.

IMO... Serious rock crawling and DD are never a good mix. It can be done with a lot of work, but factor in damage and disrepair after trips.

In SoCal... a lot of the dedicated "rock crawlers" are often trailered in. And they stopped being a jeep years ago, and are more like jeep-shaped-custom rigs.

At least, that's what I see often in the desert valleys.

@Nickgsjeep is a good example of a DD with excellent abilities on the more extreme trails.

*Note: there are differing degrees of rock crawling. What I had in mind was the more severe type.

Last edited:
~$2500 later it's a mere stair step up into your TJ:
View attachment 339627

And it's not just any old 35" tire, brother. Only a true 35" tire will suffice. 🧐

Don't ya know I still have money tied up with a certain race shop that also sells parts?!!

Though I would be THAT guy to forget to raise them up.

• Haha
Reactions: L J