Is it possible to put a winch on the factory front bumper?

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
I’m sorry. I like the original front bumper and I’m sorry. However, I need a winch so therefore have been thinking of replacing my front bumper but before I do.

Is it possible or smart even, to place a winch on the original bumper or am I asking for trouble??

Also any recommendations on winches and affordable front bumpers??

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ 4.0L 2.5in lift 32 in mudclaws
Thanks

Reactions: JMT
You can mount a winch on the stock bumper. Winch mounting plates only pass their mounting bolts through the bumper to the frame below. The bumper doesn't even have to be there.

A winch capacity of 8000 to 9500 lbs. is ideal for a Wrangler. Warn is widely regarded has having the best quality and performance.

You just need to also buy a winch mounting plate. The winch mounts to it and then the assembly is bolted to the frame after sitting it on top of the bumper.

Last edited:
You can mount a winch on the stock bumper. Winch mounting plates only pass their mounting bolts through the bumper to the frame below. The bumper doesn't even have to be there.

A winch capacity of 8000 to 9500 lbs. is ideal for a Wrangler. Warn is widely regarded has having the best quality and performance.
That’s good to know! Learning more and more on here

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
For a stock bumper setup...
Does the swaybar affect the mounting plate design? And would there be a different option if you have an Antirock setup?

Reactions: Mcnenc1
An Antirock doesn't affect how a winch mounts. The factory antiswaybar sits on top behind the bumper but most mounting plates clear it completely.

I have a winch and a stock bumper, and as Jerry mentions, all you need is a winch plate. I chose a Smittybilt raised plate and installed a Warn VR-8S.

More pictures and details of it can be found in my build thread.

Reactions: jazngab and Mcnenc1
I’m sorry. I like the original front bumper and I’m sorry. However, I need a winch so therefore have been thinking of replacing my front bumper but before I do.

Is it possible or smart even, to place a winch on the original bumper or am I asking for trouble??

Also any recommendations on winches and affordable front bumpers??

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ 4.0L 2.5in lift 32 in mudclaws
Thanks
No need to apologize brother, there are tons of people (myself included) who have ran a winch plate on the stock bumper and been just fine. There’s little to no problems with that setup and you can save a ton of weight doing so!

For a stock bumper setup...
Does the swaybar affect the mounting plate design? And would there be a different option if you have an Antirock setup?

With the stock antisway bar in place the winch will need to sit about 1-2" more forward. If you remove (not recommending) or switch to an antirock/swayloc style the winch can be moved back toward the grill.

No need to apologize brother, there are tons of people (myself included) who have ran a winch plate on the stock bumper and been just fine. There’s little to no problems with that setup and you can save a ton of weight doing so!
That’s my idea is to not add a ton of weight! Thanks for the insight!

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
found a Warn m8000 at northern tool for 599, can't find chit for rebates or offers from any Jeep outfitters. really trying to hold for black friday deals but i can't find word of anything and am really tempted to snatch it soon.

M8274 ;)

Jerry is right though, the M8000 is hard to beat, and is a great winch for a TJ!
I have the M8274 on a Warn winch plate with the stock bumper. I used to have the stock antiswaybar that I replaced with the Antirock system. No problems, and as @Jerry Bransford said, the winch is attached to the frame.

Last edited:
Here's my stock bumper with winch setup. I really wanted to keep the stock unit and avoid those heavy aftermarket bumper options.

Winch Engo SR10S.jpg

M8000 on the stock bumper with a shop built plate. Might get a Currie Anti Rock Sway bar and lower the winch this summer. Like to see your set up Byhumba...

View attachment 125886
Mine sits high. The M8274 is massive so it covers a good portion of the grille. No problems with heating while wheeling...other than what's normal. Lol. I don't have a picture of the front of my Jeep, but have these from last year at an angle. I will take one from the front tomorrow and post it.

20180511_211848.jpg

20180511_211838.jpg