Is it possible to replace just the fuel pump without replacing the entire unit?

So Jerry the check valve is apart of the fuel pump assembly ? and replacing the assembly would fix the problem?
If the leak down only occurs after the Jeep has been sitting a while, like overnight, it should. Leaky fuel injectors, a broken fuel line fitting, etc. can also cause the problem but it is usually caused by the check valve in the fuel pump.

like @diverbbert was saying. My jeep is running fine once it cranks, but the starting is ridiculous . I know there several components that make up the fuel pump unit. but replacing just one part of the unit is not reasonable when the unit could be up to 21 years old (who knows). Then like Jerry said could be other factors at play like injectors, fuel lines.....

As far as the pump assembly, the pump, FPR and the strainer are replaceable, the rest is plastic and if the tank wasn’t dry for a long period of time then the plastic components should be okay to seperate. It’s still 50/50 on damaging the plastic housing

Hey Chris I just want to make sure im ordering the right fuel pump. the above part number is 67659. i have a 97 tj 6cyl. I read in a different thread where this part number was recommended Bosch - 67756.. can you confirm which I should order. thanks man .

Do you have the 15 gallon or 19 gallon tank? That one I linked to was for the 15 gallon tank. The 19 gallon tank unit is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZJDK2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Part number 67756 does not fit your 97.

Do you have the 15 gallon or 19 gallon tank? That one I linked to was for the 15 gallon tank. The 19 gallon tank unit is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZJDK2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Part number 67756 does not fit your 97.
Dang I dont know. my owners manual says 15 but 19 optional . so how in the world besides filling up when empty can i find out.? Ill get back to you when I find out. but if its 15 ill order the 67659

Dang I dont know. my owners manual says 15 but 19 optional . so how in the world besides filling up when empty can i find out.? Ill get back to you when I find out. but if its 15 ill order the 67659

I’m not entirely sure how to tell visually, though I imagine the 15 gallon tank would look much smaller in appearance and not hang down as low.

SO my gas tank part # is 52018768 and the ASSY# is 52100310AA I think that is a 15 gal.

there are way to many chinese knock off's on amazon right now. that claim to be the real deal. I have lost trust in amazon.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-walmart-newegg-third-party-sellers-sell-counterfeits-report-gao/

that report is just for 3rd party sellers. but i have a hard time beliving amazon doesn't buy 3rd party stuff and resell it under their own name too

I’m not worried about it one bit. Not when it comes to a fuel pump at least. Not to mention amazon has the best return policy and customer service I’ve ever dealt with. I’m 100% certain the unit I received was genuine Bosch.

this is ridiculous , i go to the MOPAR web site and type in the model number from the gas tank and it says " Oops! No records matching with your search string"

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
so ive been looking all around on the web and come to find out ( if its true ) that all the tanks are the same size , but it has to do with how far down the vent tube goes into the tank. It also said if you have a 15 gal tank and cut the vent tube off that extends down in the tank that you would now have an 20 gal tank, BUT .......
this is getting crazier by the min.
wondering if Jerry or mrblaine would have any info on the subject?

so ive been looking all around on the web and come to find out ( if its true ) that all the tanks are the same size , but it has to do with how far down the vent tube goes into the tank. It also said if you have a 15 gal tank and cut the vent tube off that extends down in the tank that you would now have an 20 gal tank, BUT .......
this is getting crazier by the min.
wondering if Jerry or mrblaine would have any info on the subject?

Sounds about right. I looked at the part diagrams and I only see one fuel tank for 97 models, which is listed as a 19 gallon tank.

@Jerry Bransford, do you know by chance if the 15 gallon tank was a different tank altogether, or if it was the same as the 19 gallon tank?

Sounds about right. I looked at the part diagrams and I only see one fuel tank for 97 models, which is listed as a 19 gallon tank.

@Jerry Bransford, do you know by chance if the 15 gallon tank was a different tank altogether, or if it was the same as the 19 gallon tank?
It is the same tank with just a difference in the vent hose length. 15 gallon capacity tanks are actually pretty rare in our TJs, only the most stripped down basic models came with them. Most who think they only have a a 15 gallon tank are actually just a victim of the inaccurate fuel gauge whose pointer notoriously indicates lower than the level really is.

It is the same tank with just a difference in the vent hose length. 15 gallon capacity tanks are actually pretty rare in our TJs, only the most stripped down basic models came with them. Most who think they only have a a 15 gallon tank are actually just a victim of the inaccurate fuel gauge whose pointer notoriously indicates lower than the level really is.
So Jerry, im trying to buy a new fuel pump,( to fix my slow to crank problem) do you know which bosch pump I need to buy? is it the one Chris listed ?earlier 67659 or for the 19gal. 67786 ?