Is it possible to replace the radiator petcock?

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I just got a new Mopar radiator, and the petcock is broken. I swear, it's always something. Anyways, is there an easy way to remove it and replace it? Does it have to be destroyed? It won't thread all the way out and I can't get to the other side to see what's happening on the inside.

How did you notice that ?
I wouldn’t have noticed until I had to drain the radiator when it failed lol
Most of the time I just check if it’s tightened and slap it in.

IMG_1262.jpeg

Unpackaged it and checked for cracks and damaged fins. the tabs are broken off. Threads are fine.

mine had also arrived broken, was missing a ear. I didnt find it worth my hassle to exchange or replace it.

Dorman makes a replacement though 490234, looks like a bit of a hassle to fully pull it out.

Just unscrew and pull.

cork.jpg

I wouldn't even worry about cracked fins, how often do you open it? Just use a crescent wrench on it and forget about it.

Just unscrew and pull.

View attachment 309990

I wouldn't even worry about cracked fins, how often do you open it? Just use a crescent wrench on it and forget about it.
Oh. I didn't yank on it too hard, but I'll try that... it's already broken anyways. I already called Summit and they already shipped out a new radiator to replace it. What's more, they said the shipping company will contact me to let me know if they wanna take it back to Ohio or if I should "throw it away". So there's a chance I'll get a free radiator (with a broken petcock) out of it. Not my intention but I wouldn't object either.

if yours looks like the one in the picture and you want it then shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way. It's no spring chicken but the new rubber gasket might swap?

Reactions: Tob