Is it worth arguing with a dealership over LJ Rubicon price?

I had run the VIN and it is a Rubicon. He was just talking out his butt at that point and I let it go, not my first time trying to deal with them. I'd like to buy local, they just make it really difficult.

I searched for months and got the same lines from dealers too. One guy straight up told me that he knew it was overpriced but he also knew someone would likely pay it, or close enough to asking price, and so they knew they could get away with it.

Obviously I don't know what a lot of the ones I looked at ended up selling for but it didn't matter how high they listed them. They all sold in under 30 days.

there are 05 and 06 Tj Rubicons and both Lj Rubicons and LJ standard models (whether they are called an x or a sport I don't know )

I have an 05 TJ Rubicon Automatic and an 03 TJ Rubicon Manual

The non-Rubicon LJ (at least in '05) shares the VIN indicator of a TJ Sport although they aren't marked as such.
From my research on LJs, there are basically 2 versions. Rubicon and the "Unlimited". It's not a Sport or other edition, it's just the Unlimited. There's also a Premium options package which has 2 tone seats, silver dash panels, 7 speaker sound system, chrome grille and other nice to have odds and ends (mine has the Premium package). There only way to identify a Premium package LJ that I know of is to have the a copy of the build sheet which can be requested from Jeep. On the build sheet for mine, it's almost at the end of the options listings.

I searched for months and got the same lines from dealers too. One guy straight up told me that he knew it was overpriced but he also knew someone would likely pay it, or close enough to asking price, and so they knew they could get away with it.

Obviously I don't know what a lot of the ones I looked at ended up selling for but it didn't matter how high they listed them. They all sold in under 30 days.

Mine was listed at $11k when I found it. I got the dealer down to $10k and he just wasn't going to budge any lower. I came back early the next morning with a check for $9,999 from the bank and he took it. I did make sure I had an extra dollar in my pocket just in case. I'd made up my mind to buy it, I just wanted to be able to say I got it for under 5 figures.

Coming from a guy who bought one of the last 2006 ljr on the west coast new in 2007, I still have it with 33k on it, it’s all what you want to spend, I got 0% for 6 years and traded an 2001 tj I had just bought when I found out about the financing and I. Ought what I wanted, and put everything but the aev highline I almost ordered, wish I had done that,

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Mine was listed at $11k when I found it. I got the dealer down to $10k and he just wasn't going to budge any lower. I came back early the next morning with a check for $9,999 from the bank and he took it. I did make sure I had an extra dollar in my pocket just in case. I'd made up my mind to buy it, I just wanted to be able to say I got it for under 5 figures.

For sure, I learned really quickly that straight cash in hand is the only thing that gives you bargaining power.

Reactions: Starrs
Our LJR came used from a Jeep dealership — showed up in their inventory before they had it listed for sale. Got a price, then asked them for their "best price" — and they came off $500.

Told them that I certainly didn't think that was their best price (they had just taken it in a trade on a new JL), and they said they'd "be happy to put it out front and see" how good the price was...

So it was their best price.

Well the price dropped $2000 this week so I stopped to take a bit closer look at it.
Paint bubbling on the rockers just above the diamond plate on both sides. Paint bubbling on the rear RH under the tail light. Frame looks like it was coated at some point and is starting to come off in large flakes.
I laughed and left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
Just for a datapoint, I got a LJR in the west with 50,000 miles for just under $17k. If you’re patient and strategic, you’ll get the right one at the right price. A buddy of mine was about to book a flight out from the east coast if I didn’t buy it...

Well the price dropped $2000 this week so I stopped to take a bit closer look at it.
Paint bubbling on the rockers just above the diamond plate on both sides. Paint bubbling on the rear RH under the tail light. Frame looks like it was coated at some point and is starting to come off in large flakes.
I laughed and left.
Probably best you skipped it. I've learned that any sign of rust you can see is 3 times worse once you dig into it. The frame coating is a big red flag, and the wheels appear to be basic cragar steelies, nothing special there.

They need a new camera guy. Half the pics are blurry crap.

Probably best you skipped it. I've learned that any sign of rust you can see is 3 times worse once you dig into it. The frame coating is a big red flag, and the wheels appear to be basic cragar steelies, nothing special there.

They need a new camera guy. Half the pics are blurry crap.

I checked out an LJ recently and noticed the frame had been coated. It must have been done within the past couple of months because it still looked shiny and had no signs of wear on the coating. The vehicle history shows it spent time in New Mexico and Arizona, so I didn't think rust would be an issue. However, we did spot some rust (nothing serious) on the rear bumper. I didn't get underneath to check out the rest, but that did leave me questioning whether I should have a mechanic look it over.

I would personally prefer to see something like Fluid Film on the OEM paint in stead of any rubberized coating.

I would personally prefer to see something like Fluid Film on the OEM paint in stead of any rubberized coating.

My LJ had a fresh coat of undercoating on it when I bought it. I think they sprayed directly over some surface rust. My frame was sound, but not pristine. I spent a lot of time and effort, taking the frame down to bare metal and repainting, both inside and out.