Is it worth putting ARB air locker on Dana 35 and Dana 30?

To add...
Why not just add a selectable locker to the 30 until you find the 44 you're looking for.
Perhaps your shop is giving you a break if you do both at once (we would)
But...if you're a loyal customer they will give you a deal when the time comes for the rear locker. (We would)

You seem to have it burned in the brain you need a 44...
I think you'll second guess yourself if you go forth using the 35.

Just a thought

Reactions: Blondie70
If you have a welding shop supply store near you, you can get your CO2 filled.

My 20 lb tank will fill tires for years.

do you have a recommendation on a more cost effective solution? Also do you have a co2 tank brand and setup recommendation?
I made my own CO2 tank for around $190 or so. I bought a 10 lb. aluminum CO2 tank online for around $100 from an online beverage parts distributor, a CO2 regulator for around $50, and the rest of the parts in my local Home Depot and hardware store.

I just discovered Amazon now has the tanks for $105 including free shipping. Make sure to get one with a handle like this one shows.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086XKB46F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This regulator would be perfect and comes already set up. I had to build mine up to be like this one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081S7YYPC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Neither of those were on Amazon when I built mine so it's easier now.

20170401_102916_resized.jpg
20170401_103044_resized.jpg
Air-Chuck.jpg
Tank.jpg

I made my own CO2 tank for around $190 or so. I bought a 10 lb. aluminum CO2 tank online for around $100 from an online beverage parts distributor, a CO2 regulator for around $50, and the rest of the parts in my local Home Depot and hardware store.

I just discovered Amazon now has the tanks for $105 including free shipping. Make sure to get one with a handle like this one shows.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086XKB46F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This regulator would be perfect and comes already set up. I had to build mine up to be like this one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081S7YYPC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Neither of those were on Amazon when I built mine so it's easier now.

View attachment 259842View attachment 259844View attachment 259845View attachment 259846
How many tires can you air up before a refill with that tank?

I can fill up all four of my 35x12.50R15 probably four times, maybe five. So that's 16-20 35" tires going from 8 to 25 psi.
Nice. That was a good bit more than I was expecting. I have the Kilby's on board air system. It works fine but I think the tank is quicker. And with that kind of refill range, it's a real consideration. I'm at about 5-8 minutes a refill per tire. When it's late January in Johnson Valley you feel every minute. lol

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I use my single ARB compressor to air up my 33s. It takes about a minute and a half per tire to go from 15psi to 32psi.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Nice. That was a good bit more than I was expecting. I have the Kilby's on board air system. It works fine but I think the tank is quicker. And with that kind of refill range, it's a real consideration. I'm at about 5-8 minutes a refill per tire. When it's late January in Johnson Valley you feel every minute. lol
I installed a Kilby kit into my previous TJ using a York F210 compressor sourced locally for $30. I'm sure it put out about the same volume and refilled my tires just as quickly as my present CO2 tank does. I miss that York and that Jeep (stolen).

I made sure all my York fittings and hose were 3/8" I.D. so it could produce its full potential CFM capability. Perhaps yours has an unnoticed 1/4" fitting or two mixed in somewhere that slightly reduces its potential output CFM slowing it a bit?

Only if you buy a big ARB compressor which is expensive. The standard ARB air compressor puts out just a tiny amount of air, suitable only for locking the locker, but not even close to being large enough to consider using it to air tires up with.
Agreed, I have one on my 2000, not what you want to air up with. If they have a larger one that would help.

I have the high output compressor not the double one. Like the mentioned above, I can go from 10-25psi in around 2 min. per tire. I’m ok with hanging out and waiting 8 minutes, maybe enjoy the views, a beer, or a snack.

Arb does offer three different compressors. A small one for only lockers, a high output that allows you to inflate tires and a high performance one that is basically doubles the high output. When I got my f/r arb’s installed, arb was offering a free compressor upgrade so I got the middle performance one for free.

I installed a Kilby kit into my previous TJ using a York F210 compressor sourced locally for $30. I'm sure it put out about the same volume and refilled my tires just as quickly as my present CO2 tank does. I miss that York and that Jeep (stolen).

I made sure all my York fittings and hose were 3/8" I.D. so it could produce its full potential CFM capability. Perhaps yours has an unnoticed 1/4" fitting or two mixed in somewhere that slightly reduces its potential output CFM slowing it a bit?
Good point. I'll check for that.
Thanks

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Subscribed. Going to have some upgrades done over the coming winter. Didn't know the 30/35's were capable enough to retain.
Built right the 30/35 combo can certainly handle 35’s. Bigger than that, not so much - but then you are opening up another whole can of worms…

Subscribed. Going to have some upgrades done over the coming winter. Didn't know the 30/35's were capable enough to retain.
Without a locker Dana 35 can handle going offroad with 33's. If you want inside that Dana 35 or you want to run 35's, you need to install a Super 35 kit with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts.

The front Dana 30 can handle 35's stock, but it needs replacement 4340 axle shafts, 27 spline is fine, to also run a locker.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Just an Fyi shit breaks when and where is not up to you just remember when it does break it wont be in your driveway, it will be some where that is a major PIA at night, or in the mud, or the snow or the scorching heat, or the rain, there will be fire ants biting your ass, there wont be cell service, you will run out of beer, you wont have the right tools, this includes all of the following 30's, 35s, 44's 50's 60's and final drives on dozers, did I mention fire ants.

Last edited:
Without a locker Dana 35 can handle going offroad with 33's. If you want inside that Dana 35 or you want to run 35's, you need to install a Super 35 kit with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts.

The front Dana 30 can handle 35's stock, but it needs replacement 4340 axle shafts, 27 spline is fine, to also run a locker.
Thanks much, going to do some shopping... I will get the work done this early in the fall after the local rallys are done.
Plan is:
I'd like to end up with 4:10's (I think) have 3.08's now I'm told, she really drags on the grades. Also want to get lockers, and go from the 31's to 33's, have 3" lift now, hoping that's enough to accommodate the tires. Also thinking a skid plate for the new oil pan, my oil pan is pretty beat up, now pump oil out of it.. All help is appreciated!

Plan is:
I'd like to end up with 4:10's (I think) have 3.08's now I'm told, she really drags on the grades.
if you're definitely going to 33s you might want to rethink that, depending on your transmission, if you have a 5 speed consider 4.56 or 4.88s. I'm not sure which ratio works best for auto transmissions.
go from the 31's to 33's, have 3" lift now, hoping that's enough to accommodate the tires. Also thinking a skid plate for the new oil pan, my oil pan is pretty beat up, now pump oil out of it.. All help is appreciated!
3 inches of lift should work for 33s provided you have added the appropriate bump stops. Most will recommend 4 inches for 33s however.

Definitely add an oil pan skid if you have any intention of traveling over rocks