Is it worth swapping my Rancho RS7000MT shocks for RS5000X shocks?

I'd be curious as to the lengths of those shocks. On the bottom of the shock body should be a part # stamped into the housing. Can you see if you can find it? According to the wear marks on the top of the shock piston, it does not look like you have bottomed them out. That doesn't mean you are out of the woods yet. You just may have not articulated the suspension hard enough. You do have 2" bump stop extensions on the lower pads, so that is good. Would hate for you to lose any more up travel by adding more, so lets concentrate on finding out what shock you have, then you can pick a shock length that will let you keep your up travel.

Here it is measured correctly to your specifications Looks like 6’ and 1/4 from Metal cup to the bottom. Thanks again in advance

Looks like you are about 2" shy on your bump stops for your shock length. You have 4.25" of shock travel and about 6.25" of bump stop travel.

Next step for me would be like the above poster suggested that you look up the lengths of the shocks you have on the Rancho website and look for ones that are 2" shorter (compressed) than that. That will give you 2" of additional up travel over what you have now and you will be using the jounce bumpers rather than bottoming out hard on the shock body. (FWIW: if you have 4" of lift you'll likely want 2" lift rancho shocks but measure to be sure) Rancho runs long in their suggested shocks.

In the interim air down your tires to 24-26psi and go for a drive. See if that doesn't help some but you need either shorter shocks or more bump stop.

Looks like you are about 2" shy on your bump stops for your shock length. You have 4.25" of shock travel and about 6.25" of bump stop travel.

Next step for me would be like the above poster suggested that you look up the lengths of the shocks you have on the Rancho website and look for ones that are 2" shorter (compressed) than that. That will give you 2" of additional up travel over what you have now and you will be using the jounce bumpers rather than bottoming out hard on the shock body. (FWIW: if you have 4" of lift you'll likely want 2" lift rancho shocks but measure to be sure) Rancho runs long in their suggested shocks.

In the interim air down your tires to 24-26psi and go for a drive. See if that doesn't help some but you need either shorter shocks or more bump stop.

29DDF9F2-2A10-4C81-9802-B0B9AAC4367B.jpeg
RS7255 on the front
On rancho’s website it says vehicle height 2.50 I’m was told I have a 4inch lift maybe that’s with the previous owner was already going for?

Their selection of shocks for our TJs in the 7000s are bleak. I have spent an hour a cpl times on the phone with Rancho asking them if they will release any other models to "fill the gap", so to speak.
The techs couldn't even tell me the difference between the 7062 and 7256 Models. Which have the EXACT same compressed/ext lengths BUT are advertised for 2 very different ride heights.

I run the 7062s in the rear of my LJR with a 4.5" RE spring lift AND they are too long by about 1-1/2". I have maybe 3.5" of uptravel in the rear....even less when my lifted Coleman is attached. The only option I have, with the 7000s, would be to go with their 7241 but I will lose an inch of travel (full stroke) BUT will gain my uptravel I need (7062 Comp= 15.580 and 9.280" of travel/ 7241 Comp= 14.2 and 8.09" of travel).

I am either gonna build shock shifters to move closer to my tire and lower (to gain a bit of uptravel, as a bunch of down is wasted currently) OR save my $$$ to go see David @ Jeepwest and outboard some Foxs next year

View attachment 127834 RS7255 on the front
On rancho’s website it says vehicle height 2.50 I’m was told I have a 4inch lift maybe that’s with the previous owner was already going for?
These shocks would probably be better. I just said FCK it and extended my front shock towers when I didn't have enough uptravel in the front and adjusted BS. I am running RS7061 with almost 11" of travel. I have a 50/50 split now with extended towers BUT my rears are brutal. Like I said, probably around 3.5-4" of uptravel/ 5-5.5" of down :(

RS7128.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
Sorry to keep sending you out there with a tape measure, but can you measure you front shocks at ride height on level ground? from the bottom 2 bolt mount to the hat on the top of the piston.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
Front springs are 16’ 1/4. Front shocks are roughly 21 1/2 Measured from the 2 bolt mount to the stopper at the top
From the 2 bolt to the top of the shock body is roughly 16’

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
Front springs are 16’ 1/4. Front shocks are roughly 21 1/2 Measured from the 2 bolt mount to the stopper at the top
From the 2 bolt to the top of the shock body is roughly 16’

You are really close to being ok. According to your previous measurements, it looks like your springs/bump stops allow for 6" of up travel. Your shocks can take 5.66" of up before bottoming out. While your jounce bumpers do compress, they still will give you 0.25" of bump, so like I said, really close. Your bias travel is actually pretty good with roughly a 60/40 bias. 50/50 is ideal, but often tough to achieve.

The RS5000X shock will get you a little bit closer than those 7000's.
http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh...er/rancho-rs5000x-shock-absorber-rs55255.html