Is loose steering on a TJ normal?

Devin Ross

So, I am a first time jeep owner. I took my it to get an alignment after replacing tie rods, drag link, sway bar links, and shocks. The guy who handed me my keys after doing the alignment told me there's still some slop in the steering but he went on to say how that's just the nature of the short wheel-base? Is this true? or should I keep checking things out until I get this thing fixed?

I still have to turn the steering wheel about ten degrees to stay straight and there is a slight dead spot as well. It really just doesn't seem natural for the jeep. I am guessing it is the track bar or something but it is driving me crazy. I just want it fixed

By the way it's a 1997 2.5 with a 4" lift.

The wheel not being stright is a drag link length issue. That's adjustable provided the collar isn't rusted in place. The dead spot can be reduced as well to a point by an adjustment on the steering box.
On top there is an Alan screw with a nut locking it in place. Loosen the nut and make small 1/4 turn at a time adjustments of the Allan screw till things tighten up. Keep in mind there will always be a small dead spot in any steering box setup.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: CounterEMF
The wheel not being stright is a drag link length issue. That's adjustable provided the collar isn't rusted in place. The dead spot can be reduced as well to a point by an adjustment on the steering box.
On top there is an Alan screw with a nut locking it in place. Loosen the nut and make small 1/4 turn at a time adjustments of the Allan screw till things tighten up. Keep in mind there will always be a small dead spot in any steering box setup.

I didn't reuse anything when i replaced it so its all brand new from the tie rod ends to the adjusting hardware.

Perfect should move nice and easy then. Just loosen the pinch bolts on the collar, make sure the wheels are dead straight and turn the drag link collar the the steering wheel is lined up. Then crank down on the pinch bolts again. (provided you went stock style replacement)

Perfect should move nice and easy then. Just loosen the pinch bolts on the collar, make sure the wheels are dead straight and turn the drag link collar the the steering wheel is lined up. Then crank down on the pinch bolts again. (provided you went stock style replacement)

Alright, I will try that because I'm going crazy having to keep the wheel turned to go straight.

What you got was a version of "it's a Jeep thing". I've heard that a lot as I've gone through mine and tried to get everything perfect. There's a certain contingent satisfied with calling it a Jeep thing and then there's the other side that wants to get everything perfect. Neither are wrong, but if you want it set up perfect you'll have to do some navigating around the "it's a Jeep thing" folks!

My steering was sloppy too. My argument was that it didn't leave the factory with 45 degrees of slop in the steering. Perfectionists unite! :)

What you got was a version of "it's a Jeep thing". I've heard that a lot as I've gone through mine and tried to get everything perfect. There's a certain contingent satisfied with calling it a Jeep thing and then there's the other side that wants to get everything perfect. Neither are wrong, but if you want it set up perfect you'll have to do some navigating around the "it's a Jeep thing" folks!

My steering was sloppy too. My argument was that it didn't leave the factory with 45 degrees of slop in the steering. Perfectionists unite! :)

My thoughts exactly. That's the thing that bugs me most is I know this is some sort of issue and the fact that they are just brushing it off frustrates me. Well, I am taking it back wednesday to have them put it back on a rack. I didn't pay $85 for it to be of by 10-15 degrees

Keep in mind that the alignment won't necessarily fix the steering slop. Drizit gave some good spots to check on. My particular issue was a worn out track bar bushing. After replacing, the steering was much improved.

Reactions: greenliftedtj97
@Devin Ross I'm with you man. I had death wobble a few months ago, replaced everything you the same as you, and I have a pull to the right and about 10-15 degrees of slop. I don't but the "it's a Jeep thing", that means something different to me :) If it ain't broke don't fix it, but that's not your case. Dig in deep and work it out my friend. Plenty of help on these threads. When it stops snowing I'll tighten my steering box and replace the u-joints on the way. Good luck!

Reactions: Devin Ross
"It's a Jeep thing" is B.S. Slop in the steering is not normal. So is the steering wheel not being centered going straight down the road.
This is correct.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would argue that those who simply assume that a Jeep will handle and ride poorly are wrong and shouldn't be listened to. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"It's a Jeep thing" is B.S. Slop in the steering is not normal. So is the steering wheel not being centered going straight down the road.
Not being stright is normal for mine ;)
But that's because of my aftermarket steering and the fact that I can only adjust it in half turn increments.

Slop can also be caused by bad ujoints in the steering input shaft from the steering column. Don't neglect to check that before you crank on that steering box bolt too much. Going too far can make the steering twitchy.

I didn't reuse anything when i replaced it so its all brand new from the tie rod ends to the adjusting hardware.
I had a similar issue, the alignment guy said it was all done, a "few" vibrations were noticed........ I drove it, he was right...... got under it, found the alignment guy had forgotten to tighten the collar, it was fee spinning....... Once I set my steering wheel straight and tightened it, steering was perfect, no vibrations.

It’s not necessarily the slop that I’m too worried about currently the steering wheel not being straight. But I’m looking into all my current options and I want to just figure out the problem. I’ll see what they say when I take it back to the shop. But i will check the steering wheel as well

Just replaced the damper with a rancho xl it was the best I could do that day. I’m working on upgrading to bilstein shocks and dampers but it will be a couple months as I just put about $500 into it and don’t want to do anything extra until I get this problem fixed.

How's the trackbar look? How do the tires look? What air pressure? The off center steering wheel is mostly cosmetic and a 5 minute fix. If you you are having to hold the wheel to keep it straight then it is pulling and there are some other issues going on. I assume your 4" lift has aftermarket control arms. How do they look? Are they squared up front to rear?

Reactions: Devin Ross
How's the trackbar look? How do the tires look? What air pressure? The off center steering wheel is mostly cosmetic and a 5 minute fix. If you you are having to hold the wheel to keep it straight then it is pulling and there are some other issues going on. I assume your 4" lift has aftermarket control arms. How do they look? Are they squared up front to rear?

Tires look almost brand new fronts are at 28psi I didn’t have time to do the rears when I did the front so no clue on them.(could be a problem now that I think about it).
They said the track bar was slightly loose when I got it aligned but I checked it when I was under there and it felt fine. Didn’t even think to check the bushings on it.

And yes there is some slight walking going on when I let go of the steering wheel but nothing excessive. I have no clue about the lift as it was installed when I bought the Jeep. And I haven’t checked the control arms but I’m sure we would have noticed if they were bad when I was under there. That’s my main reason why I want to drop it and do my own lift on it and do the H&R coils with bilstein shocks so I know everything on it is quality and in good condition.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you lay lay under the front end looking for movement at the suspension component ends. Not running of course. Sometimes a simple shake by hand won't produce movement/looseness.

Reactions: LonestarTJ