Is Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30 oil a thing of the past?

04 LJ

🇺🇸 JEEP 🇺🇸
Supporting Member
Have been using this since ordering it in bulk in 2021 thanks to the advice of @Jerry Bransford. Went to order more today for my next oil change but it seems to no longer be available. Can anyone confirm if it is in fact discontinued? If so, what is your choice of oil and why, especially if you used this before? I know some will say “any basic Dino oil” but I’d prefer more specific recommendations. Pairing with Fram Tough Guard for what it’s worth. Thanks in advance!

04 LJ w/ 85k on the odometer

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've been running nothing but castrol GTX high mileage in all my vehicles for close to a decade...because all my vehicles are high mileage lol.

I played around with some Valvoline products in my 99 to try to quiet the lifter tap but everything I tried was no better, if not worse, than castrol.

Have been using this since ordering it in bulk in 2021 thanks to the advice of @Jerry Bransford. Went to order more today for my next oil change but it seems to no longer be available. Can anyone confirm if it is in fact discontinued? If so, what is your choice of oil and why, especially if you used this before? I know some will say “any basic Dino oil” but I’d prefer more specific recommendations. Pairing with Fram Tough Guard for what it’s worth. Thanks in advance!

04 LJ w/ 85k on the odometer
Pennzoil makes a good high mileage 10W-30 conventional, I just bought 6 quarts of it yesterday at my local Walmart.

I get my oil tested by Blackstone Labs, and their technicians typically respond that as long as your oil meets the correct "S" or "C" spec for your motor, it will be fine. I use whatever full synthetic oil is on sale and run 10,000 to 15,000 miles (depending on vehicle) between changes, and my oil analyses have been good for 20 years.

Reactions: Zorba
If so, what is your choice of oil and why, especially if you used this before? I know some will say “any basic Dino oil” but I’d prefer more specific recommendations. Pairing with Fram Tough Guard for what it’s worth. Thanks in advance!

I run Valvoline products in all of my vehicles and 95% of it is synthetic, even in vehicles from the '60s (VR1 for ZDDP). I suggest picking a reputable brand and going with it.

My more specific recommendations is to leave those Fram filters in the trash where they belong. I suggest using WIX, who also makes NAPA gold filters and a few others, or a Mobil 1 if you want to pay a little more.

Reactions: 04 LJ
Jerry don't know which one you use. but in another thread I said I was using Pennzoil conventional high mileage and was told they don't make a conv. high mileage. after looking they were right Pennzoil only makes a semi-synthetic high mileage oil.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...VkYXBwLnN0YXRpYy9pbmRleC5odG1sP2xhbmc9ZW4tVVM
I thought the the Pennzoil high mileage oil I bought 2 days ago was a pure conventional. I'll look it over more closely today, I was going off the information on Walmart's website.

can you get a picture of the bottle ? I can start running that in mine ? was planning on changing to NAPA ...
@tr21triton Mine has the big red label and after looking the bottle over closely it doesn't say if it's a conventional or blend. But from their website it appears to be a blend. Damn Walmart website, it said it was a pure conventional. I had been on Pennzoil's website months ago looking around for a pure conventional high mileage and didn't find one. I figured maybe Walmart was having them make it for just them. Sure doesn't look like it after revisiting Pennzoil's website via that above link.

And near as I can tell NAPA no longer sells the pure conventional 10W-30 High Mileage 10W-30 I bought there for a while. I have been on NAPA's main corporate website several times lately looking for it but no luck. Valvoline was making it for NAPA but didn't sell it themselves.

It's looking like a pure conventional high mileage engine oil has gotten to be a pretty damned tough thing to find now. I'm not giving up though lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 04 LJ and Zorba
I just run 5W-30. 5W-30 and even 0W-30 flow the same as a 10W-30 at engine operating temperatures. The difference is that the 5W-30 and 0W-30 flow better at startup.

I would run 0W-30 instead, but there is no extended mileage version.

I was using this Walmart ST oil for a long time ($17/5 quarts). Now NTB (National Tire & Battery) does an oil change and tire rotation for $26.
1661430186151.png

I was using this Walmart ST oil for a long time ($17/5 quarts). Now NTB (National Tire & Battery) does an oil change and tire rotation for $26.
View attachment 353784
Damn I would have bought that if I had seen it on their shelves. I just confirmed Super Tech does have a high mileage conventional 10W-30, that's great news. I'm going to call my local Walmart and if they have that in stock I'll exchange it for what I bought and even save a few bucks in the process.

Edit: It's not stocked there I'd have to order it. Screw the exchange then, I'll order that oil the next time.

It's looking like a pure conventional high mileage engine oil has gotten to be a pretty damned tough thing to find now. I'm not giving up though lol.

I was recently (last 6 months) told by one of the old timers at my local Oreillys that the oil companies seem to be phasing out conventional. I rarely buy conventional so I didn't ask any for any more detail, but at a glance that seems to be happening.

@tr21triton Mine has the big red label and after looking the bottle over closely it doesn't say if it's a conventional or blend. But from their website it appears to be a blend. Damn Walmart website, it said it was a pure conventional. I had been on Pennzoil's website months ago looking around for a pure conventional high mileage and didn't find one. I figured maybe Walmart was having them make it for just them. Sure doesn't look like it after revisiting Pennzoil's website via that above link.

And near as I can tell NAPA no longer sells the pure conventional 10W-30 High Mileage 10W-30 I bought there for a while. I have been on NAPA's main corporate website several times lately looking for it but no luck. Valvoline was making it for NAPA but didn't sell it themselves.

Sorry to burst your bubble there Jerry ! I did the same thing... 😞

Pennzoil makes a good high mileage 10W-30 conventional, I just bought 6 quarts of it yesterday at my local Walmart.

I cant even find the valvoline "daily driver" in the white jugs anymore in my neck of the woods which I think was your go to. Now its red jug syn blend high miles for $17 or so. Labeling/ marketing games I recon.

• Sad