Is Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30 oil a thing of the past?

Why would you run a synthetic in a 4.0? They leak! A good synthetic blend is the way to go. I like to run Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 in my TJ. But I have noticed that the 10W-30 is becoming scarce. It makes sense 5W-30 is easier for them to sell, but I think the thicker oil is better for our old engines.

@tr21triton Mine has the big red label and after looking the bottle over closely it doesn't say if it's a conventional or blend. But from their website it appears to be a blend. Damn Walmart website, it said it was a pure conventional. I had been on Pennzoil's website months ago looking around for a pure conventional high mileage and didn't find one. I figured maybe Walmart was having them make it for just them. Sure doesn't look like it after revisiting Pennzoil's website via that above link.

And near as I can tell NAPA no longer sells the pure conventional 10W-30 High Mileage 10W-30 I bought there for a while. I have been on NAPA's main corporate website several times lately looking for it but no luck. Valvoline was making it for NAPA but didn't sell it themselves.

It's looking like a pure conventional high mileage engine oil has gotten to be a pretty damned tough thing to find now. I'm not giving up though lol.

I bought NAPA hi-mileage conventional last month ...and the NAPA Gold (WIX) filter. Website shows in stock in Va. (22025) I hope it doesnt go away!!!

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOL75305?impressionRank=1

Last edited:
@Jerry Bransford you might have to send someone to get you that oil from autozone ! haven't you been banned from entering their stores ? or is it only the ones in Cali. ? 🤣 🤣 🤣
Ha I know right? I actually still go in there to buy some things but they're limited to things like various automotive cleaners, lubricants, and filters. As long as it's not Duralast lol!

When i go to the local wally world i do notice that most oils now are all synthetic blend, which seems fairly true because ive been told be the oil company reps that dino oil is almost gone and all the oil you will see is synthetic. I use valvoline high mileage

Why would you run a synthetic in a 4.0? They leak! A good synthetic blend is the way to go. I like to run Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 in my TJ. But I have noticed that the 10W-30 is becoming scarce. It makes sense 5W-30 is easier for them to sell, but I think the thicker oil is better for our old engines.

I've wondered the same thing about gas :unsure: ethanol free is so expensive, so I got smart and use a blend of E85 and ethanol free in my lawn mowers and weedeaters and notice it only stops up 1/2 the carburetor. we try to use a conventional high mileage to reduce the oil leaks or hopefully stop them. the synthetic for some reason is hard on seals and gaskets even with the high mileage additives.

Last edited:
I want a Rivian electric truck like my neighbor has. He thinks he's the shit now. I thought he was shit before he bought it. 🤫
View attachment 353805

This Coal Fired Truck is strange. The difficult thing is how tough it is to get the Coal Fired or Natural Gas Fired energy into the engine. What a slow, pain in the ass process.

The stupidity of "no" gas powered, ha, literally stupid. Getting Coal or Natural Gas Fired Electric into a vehicle on the way out to the Ranch in West Texas is a freaking joke. These are the exact same thing as a Natural Gas or Coal Fired Electric Subway in NYC. Great, but that shit doesn't drop off in Alpine, TX, or Balmorhea, ha.

These things are built for the 40 mile a day commuter in a city.

Reactions: BlueC and JMT
I just run 5W-30. 5W-30 and even 0W-30 flow the same as a 10W-30 at engine operating temperatures. The difference is that the 5W-30 and 0W-30 flow better at startup.

I would run 0W-30 instead, but there is no extended mileage version.

Interesting. The 5-30 is still available in the mobil super

Reactions: Steel City 06
Interesting. The 5-30 is still available in the mobil super

10W-30 is generally being phased out in favor of 5W-30 mostly due to improved startup fuel economy and cold performance. Since it remains less viscous at colder temperatures than 10W-30, it takes far less energy to pump and more quickly reaches the rest of the engine to begin lubrication.

0W-30 is slowly becoming more common, but it is more expensive to produce as it has a lot more friction modifiers than 5W-30.

5W-30 used to be a lot more expensive and difficult to make, but modern synthetic oils naturally have less viscosity change as the temperature increases than mineral oils, and so 5W-30 can easily be produced without a lot of additives.

Interestingly, it is often more difficult and expensive to make a 10W-30 in synthetic than 5W-30, because viscosity modifiers are needed for the opposite reason, or to make the oil thicker at cold temperatures. Since there is really no reason to run 10W-30 when 5W-30 is the same price (or cheaper), it pretty much makes sense to eliminate 10W-30 altogether.

The 5W-30 full synthetic is quite literally a better oil, cheaper to produce, and with fewer additives than the 10W-30 full synthetic. To make a 10W-30 full synthetic, you pretty much start with a 5W-30 stock and add viscosity modifiers to nerf it until it no longer meets the cold lubrication requirements of a 5W oil.

Once the engine is warmed up, the viscosity is almost exactly the same in all three weights, hence the "30".

As to why the TJ recommends 10W-30 over 5W-30 in the hottest environments, I suspect it's mainly due to the viscosity modifier additives in 5W-30 mineral oil being more prone to breakdown at high operating temperatures. Given that synthetic 10W-30 requires  more additives, that reasoning generally does not apply with full synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC and JMT
I suggest using WIX, who also makes NAPA gold filters and a few others, or a Mobil 1 if you want to pay a little more.

I don’t intend to run synthetic. That said, is the WIX or WIX XP better for conventional? I’d have to order the WIX online but have a Car Quest within minutes of the house if they are in fact one in the same. Seems the CQ variety comes in 4 different levels from basic to platinum. Thoughts & opinions welcomed.

Reactions: BlueC
As to why the TJ recommends 10W-30 over 5W-30

What are you talking about, whole post is BS as far as I can tell. Not a single thing you posted matches any published information. Not understanding 5w-30 vs 10w-30 looking at the viscosity curves is silly, anybody can look that up those curves and see you are way off base.

Reactions: R49
I don’t intend to run synthetic. That said, is the WIX or WIX XP better for conventional? I’d have to order the WIX online but have a Car Quest within minutes of the house if they are in fact one in the same. Seems the CQ variety comes in 4 different levels from basic to platinum. Thoughts & opinions welcomed.

Either WIX standard or XP will work fine. The difference is the XP has a wire-backed fine mesh media, and the standard filter has a paper type media. Which is better? I really don't know, but the XP is marketed toward synthetic oils and extended oil change intervals. (I cut my filters open and both are built the same minus the filter media) The Mobil1 and K&N filters are marketed like the WIX XP.

As far as I'm aware, the NAPA Gold is the standard WIX. I'm not sure about the CQ line up, but one of their countertop monkeys might be able to tell you who makes what filter.

Reactions: 04 LJ
I'm not sure about the CQ line up, but one of their countertop monkeys might be able to tell you who makes what filter.
Was a long day yesterday when I posted that from bed. I meant the Napa filter comes 4 varieties and that I had a Napa down the street, not CQ. Moron 🙋🏻‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and BlueC