Is Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30 oil a thing of the past?

No, it's the real deal. As engine seals age they tend to dry out from conventional lubricants, especially from many synthetics. High mileage engine oils have additional ingredients meant specifically to restore the seals and in most cases they'll stop leaks from the seals after having been restored. It's not just plugging the leaks in other words.

I had a massive rear-main seal leak on my daily driver BMW maybe ten years ago that was leaving a good size puddle on my garage floor every day. BMW shops wanted close to $2k to replace the seal (which required removing the transmission) so I started scouring BMW forums for advice. All consistently said to switch to a high mileage conventional. I did and my leak was completely gone within a week of daily driving. I've been a believer ever since.

Happy birthday Jerry, just noticed you have the same birthday as my sister

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry don't know which one you use. but in another thread I said I was using Pennzoil conventional high mileage and was told they don't make a conv. high mileage. after looking they were right Pennzoil only makes a semi-synthetic high mileage oil.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...VkYXBwLnN0YXRpYy9pbmRleC5odG1sP2xhbmc9ZW4tVVM

I get the conventional from Amazon so I’m not sure what that link says. I’ve been buying it for about 6-9 months anyways.

DB8E9976-BECF-4823-97D2-2D6EDF17329D.png

Electric cars don't need that stuff. :unsure: I just heard that Cali is going to ban all gas cars on the roads by 2035.
p.s. Now that my student loans are getting paid off, I'm hoping Joe buys all Americans a Tesla next. He says it's all free and he would never lie (or remember if he did). :rolleyes:

They'll have to install a lot of charging stations on the trails...lol

Reactions: JMT
I get the conventional from Amazon so I’m not sure what that link says. I’ve been buying it for about 6-9 months anyways.

View attachment 354268

I've been a life-long Pennzoil guy and have typically ended up running their conventional high-mileage oils since I hold onto vehicles for YEARS.

Last oil change I looked and looked for conventional high mileage 10W-30 and noticed fewer, if any, options. Even @Jerry Bransford's recommendation of NAPA's conventional high-mileage was a bust.

Like @tr21triton says, Pennzoil's website mentions their conventional high-mileage is a blend. Wilder still, they show even their conventional oil is a blend. I'm no chemist and don't work in Pennzoil's formulation lab, so I don't know what constitutes their non-synthetic to synthetic "blend" ratios. I'd imagine anything with an additive could/might/maybe be called a blend.

When I went in person to my O'Reilly's and looked at the labels, I didn't see the term conventional anywhere on the front of the Pennzoil High-Mileage bottles. The rear label doesn't say anything about its makeup other than its additives making it able to condition seals. That's a sample of one store, but I'm somewhat suspect of what they mean when they sell it as "conventional". If they mean the oil is blended at 51% regular to 49% synthetic making it "conventional", that's a little crazy to me.

Having said all that, I have a hunch that all the oil dropped off for recycling when people do oil changes gets put back into the supply chain. That may be where the majority of "blends" come from, as impurities may be filtered out but synthetics can't be separated from conventional oils. Like I said, not sure on this but just a theory. Cheaper for the company to clean and reuse oils than buy pure oil and formulate it from scratch? Again, don't know.

Now, ordering from Amazon, you may be getting some old stock, non-synthetic blended, oil. Maybe their description doesn't match the product you get. Not sure.

In my case I think I ended up using the Pennzoil High-Mileage anyway, just because, and have been fine to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Having said all that, I have a hunch that all the oil dropped off for recycling when people do oil changes gets put back into the supply chain. That may be where the majority of "blends" come from, as impurities may be filtered out but synthetics can't be separated from conventional oils. Like I said, not sure on this but just a theory. Cheaper for the company to clean and reuse oils than buy pure oil and formulate it from scratch? Again, don't know.

I doubt the big companies would do that, but the no-names and private labels might. I worked at one of the chain quick lube shops many years ago, and it was my understanding that their bulk oils were a blend of new conventional and reprocessed used oils. That bulk oil was always a shade darker than typical bottled oils. Not that I would want it, but plenty of cars live on that oil.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I've been a life-long Pennzoil guy and have typically ended up running their conventional high-mileage oils since I hold onto vehicles for YEARS.

Last oil change I looked and looked for conventional high mileage 10W-30 and noticed fewer, if any, options. Even @Jerry Bransford's recommendation of NAPA's conventional high-mileage was a bust.

Like @tr21triton says, Pennzoil's website mentions their conventional high-mileage is a blend. Wilder still, they show even their conventional oil is a blend. I'm no chemist and don't work in Pennzoil's formulation lab, so I don't know what constitutes their non-synthetic to synthetic "blend" ratios. I'd imagine anything with an additive could/might/maybe be called a blend.

When I went in person to my O'Reilly's and looked at the labels, I didn't see the term conventional anywhere on the front of the Pennzoil High-Mileage bottles. The rear label doesn't say anything about its makeup other than its additives making it able to condition seals. That's a sample of one store, but I'm somewhat suspect of what they mean when they sell it as "conventional". If they mean the oil is blended at 51% regular to 49% synthetic making it "conventional", that's a little crazy to me.

Now, ordering from Amazon, you may be getting some old stock, non-synthetic blended, oil. Maybe their description doesn't match the product you get. Not sure.

In my case I think I ended up using the Pennzoil High-Mileage anyway, just because, and have been fine to this point.
I thought the the Pennzoil high mileage oil I bought 2 days ago was a pure conventional. I'll look it over more closely today, I was going off the information on Walmart's website.

Check this out. Found these at my local Wally World. Same exact red label you referred to and @tr21triton commented on BUT with 1 minor difference (besides weight). Jerry, perhaps you did have 10w-30 HM Dino after all. Another member posted the 5qt jug Amazon has and it too also has the appearance of being true conventional. I stocked up on several single quarts from WM in hopes of getting several 5qt jugs off of Amazon (for MUCH less than the individual quarts) and having them to add to them as the 6th quart.

6B25EAEE-17A0-41EF-96C8-B0BF5C7A8D50.jpeg

73C1A7A0-0259-452C-A002-BAD7E67F5058.jpeg

Check this out. Found these at my local Wally World. Same exact red label you referred to and @tr21triton commented on BUT with 1 minor difference (besides weight). Jerry, perhaps you did have 10w-30 HM Dino after all. Another member posted the 5qt jug Amazon has and it too also has the appearance of being true conventional. I stocked up on several single quarts from WM in hopes of getting several 5qt jugs off of Amazon (for MUCH less than the individual quarts) and having them to add to them as the 6th quart.

View attachment 355140

View attachment 355141

I just bought 6 identical bottles at Dollar General just yesterday. I was there, so was the oil, and I have a change coming up soon.

Reactions: 04 LJ
The labels on my bottles absolutely don't say what it is. I might call Pennzoil tomorrow to see what they say it is.

after seeing that I went and looked at the 2 5qt bottles I have and they said nothing about semi-synthetic on them either :unsure: . but their website shows the exact same bottle and they say it's semi-synthetic ? WTF ?

Last edited:
Mobile One 10-30 High mileage.

The closest Walmart to our place is in Prescott,

They show it in stock.

I put 10 gallons in the cart, ready for after 2pm today,

The next closest is Surprise they have 5 in stock ready for pick up today.

You've done some great yeoman's work, @Jerry Bransford, thanks!

Did they offer any more detail, or just that say that specific one is conventional?
No details other than confirming what it is. I had been on the phone for 5-10 minutes mostly going through options so I was more anxious to get off than ask for anything else lol.

Yes I did and what an ordeal lol. Finally got the answer! YES p/n 550022812 on the rear of the bottle indicates it is a pure conventional high mileage 10W-30! 😍

thanks for checking Jerry ! atleast now we know there's another option out there....and to look at those bottles close !