Is Mobil Super High Mileage 10W-30 oil a thing of the past?

I just bought 6 identical bottles at Dollar General just yesterday. I was there, so was the oil, and I have a change coming up soon.

What was the price at DG?

Mobile One 10-30 High mileage.

It won’t be conventional with a Mobile 1 label. It will be syn blend or full syn. The only non syn Mobile high mileage product was called Mobile Super and it’s been discontinued in 10w-30.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
I just run 5W-30. 5W-30 and even 0W-30 flow the same as a 10W-30 at engine operating temperatures. The difference is that the 5W-30 and 0W-30 flow better at startup.

I would run 0W-30 instead, but there is no extended mileage version.

Been running 5w-30 in mine forever, I'll switch it up in cold season 5w-20 or 0w-30. Runs like a top.

O'Reilly's appear to have full conventional high-mileage 10W-30.
1662048658021.png

Phased out? Completely?

I don’t know for sure, not many conventional oil options anymore.
The Pennzoil rep said it is now a synthetic blend. That’s all I know. Does the 10% matter? The Napa stuff is still Dino oil.

I don’t know for sure, not many conventional oil options anymore.
The Pennzoil rep said it is now a synthetic blend. That’s all I know. Does the 10% matter? The Napa stuff is still Dino oil.
Having 'repped' for many companies over the years I can verify not all reps know WTF they're talking about.

Having 'repped' for many companies over the years I can verify not all reps know WTF they're talking about.

That is very true. They also do not show a conventional high mileage oil available on their web page any more either. Does not appear to be much of a change on the bottle either.

For those still wondering if the High Mileage Pennzoil conventional p/n 550022812 I bought is still out there, it is. It's even on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006A49BWI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I found a bunch of hits by Googling Pennzoil 550022812.

My local OhReally? says they have it, and they call it Conventional. So does Jerry's Amazon link.

But how do we know it's really Conventional, or still Conventional if it used to be? I don't see that word on the bottle, and the Pennzoil website seems to know nothing about 550022812.

Reactions: Gollywomper
And Home Depot lists this p/n 550022812 as Synthetic (not that HD has ever got anything right on their webpage).

My local OhReally? says they have it, and they call it Conventional. So does Jerry's Amazon link.

But how do we know it's really Conventional, or still Conventional if it used to be? I don't see that word on the bottle, and the Pennzoil website seems to know nothing about 550022812.

I think there is still some conventional stock out there available.
The rep said it had to do with meeting the new API standards. Both the Pennzoil offering and the Napa oil have nothing on the label saying conventional or otherwise. Wish it was otherwise.

I have been a life-long Pennzoil or Pennzoil High Mileage user. However, at my Jeep's last oil change (this past November) I switched to Castrol High Mileage 10W-30 and so far it's been no problem.

I decided to switch as a test since my last 2 Blackstone reports stated that the oil's viscosity was below where it should have been. Both times I had been running Pennzoil HM 10W-30. I'm testing the Castrol HM to see what, if anything, changes. So far, so good.

Also, I figured if I already (likely) had a blend in the Pennzoil HM, then trying another blend shouldn't hurt anything too much.

Looking on the Wal-Mart web site, I can find a 5 quart container of Mobil Super 10w-30 High Mileage for $62.44. I've been using this oil for over 20 years in my vehicles. No way I'm paying that so time to look for a replacement oil. Possibly Wal-Mart Super Tech.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Looking on the Wal-Mart web site, I can find a 5 quart container of Mobil Super 10w-30 High Mileage for $62.44. I've been using this oil for over 20 years in my vehicles. No way I'm paying that so time to look for a replacement oil. Possibly Wal-Mart Super Tech.

5W-30 in the same specification is less than half the price. The 5W-30 is the same base oil stock, just fewer additives to increase the viscosity at low temperatures.

No real difference in protection between the two except that the 5W-30 flows better at startup and when cold.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
5W-30 in the same specification is less than half the price. The 5W-30 is the same base oil stock, just fewer additives to increase the viscosity at low temperatures.

No real difference in protection between the two except that the 5W-30 flows better at startup and when cold.

I think it's the other way around. Winter weight is the base stock and the additives keep it from thinning out as quickly.
Ie, 5w-20 and 5w-30 would have the same base.

Reactions: BlueC
I think it's the other way around. Winter weight is the base stock and the additives keep it from thinning out as quickly.
Ie, 5w-20 and 5w-30 would have the same base.

With mineral oils that is often the case. Mineral oils naturally get more viscous faster as they cool compared to modern synthetic oils. So in order to get tighter viscosity ranges, additives are used to either thicken thinner oil at high temperatures or thin oil at lower temperatures.

Modern synthetic oils tend to hold a somewhat tighter range of viscosities at various temperature ranges than mineral oils by default, hence why 5W-30 synthetic oil is so common, but 5W-30 mineral oil is not. To make a 5W-30 mineral engine oil, you can either nerf a 5W-20 at higher temperatures, or try to thin out a 10W-30 at lower temperatures. However, a synthetic oil can easily be made to meet a 5W-30 specification without the use of a large number of additives. If you want to take that and make a 0W-30, sure you'll need a number of additives.

But if you want to make a synthetic into a 10W-30, you need to find a way to nerf it at low temperatures. The reality is there simply isn't any point. The whole advantage of 10W-30 mineral over 5W-30 mineral historically was that 10W-30 was cheaper and contained fewer additives, and thus lasted a bit longer. But with synthetic, it is literally more expensive to make a 10W-30 than a 5W-30, and given the higher additives required to make it into a 10W-30, there simply is no technical advantage except in perhaps some very rare and unusual scenarios.

The whole [X]W-[Y] naming convention for oils is outdated in my opinion and really should be updated. All oils get thicker as they get colder, but some oils do it to a a lesser degree than others. Really the proper way to identity an oil's viscosity is using the units of centistokes and centipoise.

In order for an oil to be considered a SAE viscosity grade 30, it has to have a viscosity at 100°C between 5.6 and 9.3 cSt (note this is a simplification). In order for that Grade 30 to also be assigned a W viscosity grade, it is then also tested at various temperatures to chart viscosity, and then is compared to a table (per SAE J300) to determine what category it should be placed in. For example, if our grade 30 oil has 6200 cP or less at -35C, it is labeled a 0W. If it exceeds 6200 cP at -35°C, it is then tested at -30°C. If at -30°C it is 6,600 cP or less, it is labeled a 5W. If not, it is tested at -25, and if it is 7,000 cP or less, it is labeled a 10W (and so on). Note this is a simplification, and I'm leaving a lot out.

By definition a 5W-30 oil meets all of the specifications of a 10W-30 oil. However, per SAE J300, if an oil passes as a 5W-30, it must be labeled as a 5W-30 and cannot be labeled as a 10W-30, even though it passes every other criteria to be considered a 10W-30. A 5W-30 will perform as well as a 10W-30 in most cases except that it also performs better at lower temperatures.

For more detail, I highly recommend reading through the J300 specification. Technically it is copyrighted, so I won't post it here. That said you can find it online pretty easily. Wikipedia also has a pretty good summary of SAE J300:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J300

Reactions: srimes and Zorba