Is my axle supposed to look like this?! I had hell getting it out.

Matt Sharp

First of all I'm new to the site. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I noticed today some gear oil leaking around my rear passenger axle. So I thought i would go ahead and replace the rear axle outter seal and bearing. I couldn't get the axles pushed in far enough to get the C clip out. I thought it may have had something to do with the auburn locker on it. I finally had to beat it in pretty hard to get the axle in far enough to remove the C clip and then beat it back out to remove the axle. On every i got it out i think i know the problem i was having with not being able to get it out. Apparently the bearing went out and rubbed a big grove in it. Now I've got to replace the axle. It has 30 spline alloy USA axles and a auburn locker in it.

Am I correct thinking that that big grove shouldn't be there?

IMG_8332.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Uh, no. That axle is toast. New axle, bearing, and seal is needed. You should clean out the tubes as well. There is a bunch of metallic inside from that axle.

Reactions: Matt Sharp
First of all I'm new to the site. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I noticed today some gear oil leaking around my rear passenger axle. So I thought i would go ahead and replace the rear axle outter seal and bearing. I couldn't get the axles pushed in far enough to get the C clip out. I thought it may have had something to do with the auburn locker on it. I finally had to beat it in pretty hard to get the axle in far enough to remove the C clip and then beat it back out to remove the axle. On every i got it out i think i know the problem i was having with not being able to get it out. Apparently the bearing went out and rubbed a big grove in it. Now I've got to replace the axle. It has 30 spline alloy USA axles and a auburn locker in it.

Am I correct thinking that that big grove shouldn't be there?

View attachment 10747
Dang! Ah no, that's a ton of wear bro! :)

Any suggestions? It has alloy usa 30 splines in it now.
Revolution is a good brand. There has a lot of discussion on this subject and a lot of opinions. I am bias, i would call Northridge 4x4 in Silverdale, WA. They have never steered me wrong and the customer service is outstanding.

Thanks, I'll look those 2 up.
Revolution Gear & Axle is the only provider of US (made in Los Angeles) manufactured axle shafts, all of the others made for our Jeeps are imported. So X2 on the www.revolutiongear.com recommendation. They're what I'm running in my rear Dana 44.

My personal recommendation for one of RGA's better dealers is Ricky at www.4lowparts.com. Ricky has been with RGA since day one.

I am definitely buying revolution axles as well - on both Jerry, and Blaine's advice.
I was disappointed to find out that Yukon gears are both USA *and* Korean made.
Not that I wouldn't trust Yukon stuff - It never broke on my old Jeep - but I am really big on buying US made parts for the Jeep, and the fact that is so local to me makes it twice as good.
I always try to support local businesses if possible.

Can't wait to get my super 35 kit etc. :)