Is my clutch master and slave cylinder doomed for failure?

03coloradowrangler

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Pulled the cap on the master cylinder for my clutch and noticed white specs in it. Seems like its some sort of grease and looks like the white grease/lube within the slave visible where the piston slides when you remove the rubber boot. Master/Slave assembly appears to be OEM and im at 160k miles.

I fully pressed the slave piston all the way in and siphoned all the brake fluid out with whatever bits of this gunk this is and topped off with fresh brake fluid a few times before releasing the piston and drawing air back in but it seems like it never stops reappearing. Also i don't see any brake fluid leaking anywhere or behind the rubber slave boot.

Is this typical, expected, slave cylinder piston grease making its way there over the years or something else? should I be concerned?

I'm driving a little under 1500 miles this next weekend hence my concern as well as the clutch pedal throw feels odd toward the end (or maybe it doesn't) but inspection camera through the slave cylinder opening looking at the clutch, tob and pressure plate everything inside looks normal and good.

I think I may be over concerning myself but wanted to reach out with my concern.

IMG_0063.jpeg

It's a very easy part to replace. Most come with bother the master and slave cylinder and the hose between them pre bled. 2 bolts and 2 nuts and an electrical connector. The hardest part was getting the nuts off the master cylinder under the dash. But only takes about 20 minutes to replace the entire package.

I've done some pricing and unfortunately at this point I'm limited to picking up a new master and slave assembly locally at the generic auto parts store. They run around $170 though and my concern is that I'm not sure if i should be concerned or not. Additionally generic parts store only have unknown brands listed for availability.

i agree, its a simple replacement though. i was up under the dash looking around and it is pretty tight up in there.

@Chris, I know I selected general discussion when generating this post. No idea how it Managed to change over to a how-to guide category on its own. I clearly know better than that.

Sorry you had to move the thread, but something occurred somewhere else than here that caused it.

Is it leaking fluid? Is the white stuff new? Probably some interior lining is breaking down after all these years.
If this just started then I might worry, but more likely you noticed it for the first time and it has been like that for years. Or maybe two different fluid types were mixed. Bring some spare fluid on the trip, or bring a spare clutch master/slave assy. and a wrench. Again, if no leaks then unlikely to fail.