Is my door bent, seals bad, or door surrounds?

lulzpwndyah

TJ Enthusiast
I think my door is bent, in the last picture it looks like the door sticks out a bit. In the other pictures I show how the seals don't seem to actually seal but just sit on top of the door surround. I think at least the outer ring of the seal should go past the door surround to make a seal right? Water will get in from that side and I hear wind when driving. If I push up on the door surround from the inside while driving the wind stops.

If it's bent should I just hit it with a mallet? Looked at the other side which looked more flush but the seal also sat on the outside of the door surround.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

It does look like your door is bent to some degree. If that ends up being the case I don't think a mallet is what you want to use to fix it. Putting your knee on the interior panel and pulling on the top of the window frame would probably be better.

There may even be better ideas. We shall see.

Reactions: Daryl
No. Don't hit anything with a hammer on the body if it isn't a dent.

First , use a straight edge against the door itself extended up and compare to the right side and see if it's the door or the top assembly on wrong .

Be sure it doesn't bind as it closes also.

If it's the door, you will break the welds bending it. It needs a good auto body man/person/individual

Also if you have to do that to satisfy your self, lower the glass first at least.

If that slight bow along the back side of the window is your only problem then I would pull the door off the Jeep and lay it on the floor with some 2×4s supporting all the outside edges so the crank and handle aren getting fubar'd. Be sure the glass is all the way down! Then support the top window frame so the door sits evenly on the floor. Gently, HEY! I SAID GENTLY! Apply a bit of knee pressure at the height of the bow. Be certain that the window frame has good support at the top corner and also at the very bottom where the weld for the frame is. Without support at the weld it could crack the metal.
Stop and check frequently with a straight edge. If you need a bit more then go again, increasing pressure by just a bit each time until you get close to straight. Then re-hang the door and check that all aligns right. You may need a bit of a tweak on the other side since I didn't see it from the pics. After this is straight you may need to adjust the latch pin in or out a hair. Be aware of this before you try to slam the door to latch it and possibly bend the whole frame out at the base. That would take a body guy to fix without likely cracking the window frame welds. Good luck. Should take longer to find the 2×4s than it does to straighten the window frame. 👍