Is my e-brake cable safe / normal?

DWR

TJ Addict
Finally going to adjust my e-brakes this weekend and was confirming that my rears have the adjustment star inside the hub (checking because one of the prior owner put willwod brakes on the back). I noticed that the cable is attached to the rear using a wire clamp and looked like they dont have much looped through to the other side.

My questions are, are they normally attached this way? Also is it safe as it is right now with not much pulled through? Can a couple people show me what theirs look like please?

D69382F5-A2A8-4D98-A693-E355750F7707.jpeg

28A74647-EAA7-4940-A079-F10D9603F605.jpeg

D2AF697A-32A2-4155-A541-9E9E4C8A9DA4.jpeg

7824A696-5967-4FBE-AD17-5D870580E94D.jpeg

I would want more cable pulled through. An inch or so should be safe enough. That is definitely not 'stock', but may be the result of the aftermarket brakes. More likley is the PO just cobbled it to get the brake to work. I'm actually surprised it has passed a DMV inspection. What is going on on the other cable? That one is possibly stock and not hacked up. I'm pre-coffee this morning. I'll try for a pic later if no one else does.

Reactions: skrelnik
I would want more cable pulled through. An inch or so should be safe enough. That is definitely not 'stock', but may be the result of the aftermarket brakes. More likley is the PO just cobbled it to get the brake to work. I'm actually surprised it has passed a DMV inspection. What is going on on the other cable? That one is possibly stock and not hacked up. I'm pre-coffee this morning. I'll try for a pic later if no one else does.

I posted pics of both of them. They are both like that, one pic was from above, showing how it comes in.

Ha, same here, I'd post a selfie by accident.

When they did the conversion, they hacked up the parking brake cables for the drum brakes by cutting the cable end stop off. They should have left the cable end stop and adjusted the cable out longer at the splitter. The easy solution is to purchase a set of cables for an 03-06 TJ Rubicon.

When they did the conversion, they hacked up the parking brake cables for the drum brakes by cutting the cable end stop off. They should have left the cable end stop and adjusted the cable out longer at the splitter. The easy solution is to purchase a set of cables for an 03-06 TJ Rubicon.

My Jeep is a 97, are the 03-06 cables somehow better? Is it pretty easy to swap out?

My Jeep is a 97, are the 03-06 cables somehow better? Is it pretty easy to swap out?
Better is subjective. They are better in that they are OEM parking brake cables for disc brakes that are standard on the Rubicon models and have a rectangular loop on the ends for the actuation lever on the backing plates.

Easy is also subjective. Takes me about 10 minutes to do them.

Why not just get the right cables?

I was trying to get it fixed before my trip next week, guess that won’t happen.

Are you sure the moose one comes with the rectangle loop end to pull the lever?

looks like the willwood version isthe same price, would it be just as good? Think I can get it quicker

Want quicker? Loosen the cable, pull more through, and tighten them up and readjust the brakes.
Want it right? Listen to Blaine. Choose is up to you.

Reactions: DWR
Want quicker? Loosen the cable, pull more through, and tighten them up and readjust the brakes.
Want it right? Listen to Blaine. Choose is up to you.

Lol I do plan to listen to Blain. I *may* use the quick method just so I have a workable e-brake for my trip but will be ordering new cables before I leave.