Is my LJ Rubicon supposed to feel gutless?

Your LJ was under-geared from the factory. For 31" stock tires, Jeep should have put in 4.56 or 4.88 gears instead of the 4.10's they did. The 42RLE has an overdrive ratio of 0.69, which is pretty tall compared to the top gear ratio of the manuals.

$2400 is ridiculous. Total to re-gear should be around $1500 for both axles. That number does depend on your region, but I couldn't imagine that it would be $2400 (especially per axle!). If I was in your position, I would probably put 5.38 Revolution gears in. If you ever decide to go to 35's, 5.38 would be what you want. 5.38 with 33's wouldn't be terrible either.
I paid 1800 in the east bay. Another shop quoted me 2100 so I would say its a bit high but in the ball park. If it was me I would regear to 5.38 in the event you go to 35s down the line.

35s just look so good on ljs ;)

I run 33s in a TJR with the 6speed and 4.10s. It works great. Towing a trailer i'm often in 5th, but on a long straight I wish for 3.73s in 6th. The issue with the automatic is the outrageous 0.69OD. No matter what ratio you pick, the jump from 3rd to 4th will be huuge.
I think the key factor there is the "the 6 speed". The 6 speed manual is much better geared for the stock Rubi 4.10/4.11 gears; especially since its overdrive is a far more reasonable .84:1.
The gearing on my 6 speed rubi with 33" tires seems quite reasonable on the road and I think I'll probably stay with that setup unless I up the tire size but, from what I've read, you just won't get there with the 42RLE without going with deeper gears.

To the OP; as far as $2400 for a regear, that's pretty much highway robbery in my eyes. Really, trully, if you have any experience working on machinery, I'd do a bunch of research (look on youtube) on how to swap out gears to see if you might want to tackle the job yourself. Even if you are not an avid DIYer, I'd look into it and see if it sounds like something you might want to tackle...seriously, working on your Wrangler is one of the most rewarding things. Otherwise, call around to different shops and see what they quote...and look for shops that specialize in Jeeps and/or 4X4's as they often have more discerning clientele who know a rip-off price when they hear it...that is, with the caveat that there are those posers that are totally about taking advantage of the pretty boys in the expensive toys, and they will totally try to rip you to the core. Just shop around!

Reactions: Thunderhead
My 06 LJR feels fine but I have a manual and it’s all stock.
This is where the 190 horepower shines best.

Its crazy to witness GM now producing a turbo 4 cylinder that can take on the V8. Their new 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque 4 cylinder makes its peak tourqe between 1500-4000 RPM.

Makes you wonder if the TJ would be designed and engineered today what engine, "could" have been put in it.

I think the key factor there is the "the 6 speed". The 6 speed manual is much better geared for the stock Rubi 4.10/4.11 gears; especially since its overdrive is a far more reasonable .84:1.
The gearing on my 6 speed rubi with 33" tires seems quite reasonable on the road and I think I'll probably stay with that setup unless I up the tire size but, from what I've read, you just won't get there with the 42RLE without going with deeper gears.

To the OP; as far as $2400 for a regear, that's pretty much highway robbery in my eyes. Really, trully, if you have any experience working on machinery, I'd do a bunch of research (look on youtube) on how to swap out gears to see if you might want to tackle the job yourself. Even if you are not an avid DIYer, I'd look into it and see if it sounds like something you might want to tackle...seriously, working on your Wrangler is one of the most rewarding things. Otherwise, call around to different shops and see what they quote...and look for shops that specialize in Jeeps and/or 4X4's as they often have more discerning clientele who know a rip-off price when they hear it...that is, with the caveat that there are those posers that are totally about taking advantage of the pretty boys in the expensive toys, and they will totally try to rip you to the core. Just shop around!
As somebody who has done all the work on their jeep them self gears is one area where I would gladly pay someone else.

It requires a lot of special equipment, pullers, presses, dial calipers, but most of all knowledge.

I agree that working on your jeep is rewarding but some jobs are best left to people who do it for a living or with the expertise. Just ask @Rob5589 who recently helped @tomtaylz do his.

As somebody who has done all the work on their jeep them self gears is one area where I would gladly pay someone else.

It requires a lot of special equipment, pullers, presses, dial calipers, but most of all knowledge.

I agree that working on your jeep is rewarding but some jobs are best left to people who do it for a living or with the expertise. Just ask @Rob5589 who recently helped @tomtaylz do his.
If you think you might try, but aren't really sure, you'll wish you hadn't if you do.

Gears man , gears. Engine is fine , it's a 4.0. Find @Rob5589's shop or another good one and get it regeared.

I don't have a shop and my last gear gig was '92. As far as pricing, I cannot speak to what the going labor rate is. I also cannot recommend any place in particular since I have no first hand knowledge. Wish I could. As far as taking jobs; I may from time to time depending on what I have going on. But, they would be diffs only, out of the vehicle. Re-gearing Toms LJ on the garage floor reminded me of my age 😁

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go the regear route for sure. That is the consistent message. I know the Jeep is never going to be a rocket, but I don't want a 4 speed tranny with only 3 usable gears. As it is now, I won't even drive on the highway longer than 45 miles. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet. I'm going to look around more in my area and see if I can find a more reasonable axle shop. I also think I'm going to go with the 5.38s unless one of you talks me out of it.
Thanks again.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm going to go the regear route for sure. That is the consistent message. I know the Jeep is never going to be a rocket, but I don't want a 4 speed tranny with only 3 usable gears. As it is now, I won't even drive on the highway longer than 45 miles. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet. I'm going to look around more in my area and see if I can find a more reasonable axle shop. I also think I'm going to go with the 5.38s unless one of you talks me out of it.
Thanks again.
Regearing is definitely the fix for that issue. Mine was an absolute dog on the road with 35" tires with even 4.88. I ended up installing 5.38 gears last year and everything is better. Even my mpg went up over 2 mpg to the mid-14's. I would have even gone lower than 5.38 for my 35's if that was possible but it wasn't so I'm happy with the overall improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: psdtime
I spoke with Revolution Gear and Axle a couple weeks ago, They are expecting a shipment of 5.38 gear sets for the Rubicon March 10th or so. I haven't found any physically in stock anywhere yet.
If you find some sooner let me know please!

Thanks again.
In this area, in the car re-gear will typically run 250-275 per end for parts, 5-600 per end labor so roughly 15-1700 for both. Cut the labor in half for a bench job.

To @psdtime:

Contact Jeff Arabia at Arabia's Overkill Jeep Fabrication in Campbell. According to several friends in the area who have had work done there he does a terrific job, but he is probably not the cheapest. Even if he cannot do your job, or is too expensive, he would be a good source for referrals to other gear shops in your area.

http://arabiasoverkill.com/