Is my starter siezed?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Long story short, the Jeep labored a bit this morning starting up. Get to school, shut it off and come back in a few minutes later and it won't start. Battery gauge shows good charge and jumping didn't work. Solenoid clicks over but nothing after that.

Think the starter is shot?

I went to the Mopar site to look for a starter - they have Manual ones but not Auto - is this legit or do the manual and auto trannys use the same starter and one is good on both?

The first thing I would do is pull the battery ends and clean the terminals. If that doesn't work have a buddy turn the key while you give the starter a few wacks with a hammer. If the hammer trick does it then the starter is stuck.

Reactions: Twopoint
The first thing I would do is pull the battery ends and clean the terminals. If that doesn't work have a buddy turn the key while you give the starter a few wacks with a hammer. If the hammer trick does it then the starter is stuck.

Terminals are fine - they've been pulled and neatened up a bit. I'll see if I can find a hammer and try that.

If I do need a starter, what brand? Bosch reman work?

https://www.wermopar.com/auto-parts...ical-cat/starter-scat/?part_number=56041012ae

The above page doesn't show any starters for automatics available - unless that's their way of saying there's only one starter and it works on both autos and manuals.

Terminals are fine - they've been pulled and neatened up a bit. I'll see if I can find a hammer and try that.

If I do need a starter, what brand? Bosch reman work?

https://www.wermopar.com/auto-parts...ical-cat/starter-scat/?part_number=56041012ae

The above page doesn't show any starters for automatics available - unless that's their way of saying there's only one starter and it works on both autos and manuals.
Rock auto has the starters in stock https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1432231,electrical,starter+motor,4152

I can not stress enough to make sure the terminal are SUPER clean (using a terminal cleaning brush) and tight on the battery. I have had this same issue and that was the fix. Also, make sure the wires on the bottom of the starter are tight and not corroded.

Reactions: Sancho
I went to the Mopar site to look for a starter - they have Manual ones but not Auto - is this legit or do the manual and auto trannys use the same starter and one is good on both?
Different part numbers on rock auto also so my guess is they aren't interchangeable @Chris ??

Different part numbers on rock auto also so my guess is they aren't interchangeable @Chris ??

Hard to say. My first guess would be yes, but my next guess would be that maybe one is a superseded part number or something. I know that tends to happen a lot with OE parts.

Check the battery first. Have it load tested at your local auto part store or Batteries Plus. It needs to actually be load tested.

Also, check the production date on the battery. How old is it?

Reactions: Alex01
When we tried to jump it, the battery jumper said we were getting 12.7v. The gauge on the dash has the needle right in between where it should be. I also get the solenoid click, so the only other option is the starter.

This morning, it took some convincing to start at home.

I tried tapping it with the hammer while someone cranked - didn't work. So here's a couple pics of it.

46913840814_0f87026f5a_h.jpg

46913840824_7cee4942db_h.jpg

I'm surprised by the gunk on it - it rained today, but the Jeep was stationary and hasn't rolled through anything today.

I think your starter is low on oil by the looks of it. ;) try jumping across the terminals on the starter itself, if it cranks then it's the solenoid not the motor it self, if not replace the starter motor complete.
And you can get a good voltage reading from battery but it may not have any amperage, what floats the boat is amperage.

Last edited:
I think your starter is low on oil by the looks of it. ;) try jumping across the terminals on the starter itself, if it cranks then it's the solenoid not the motor it self, if not replace the starter motor complete.

Is that what that is? Oil, not mud?

Yikes - if that's oil, I'd say I have a bit of a leak somewhere.

you can do your own load test. Put a volt meter on the battery terminals (not the cable ends) while somebody turns the key or you jump the starter terminals. If the voltage drops below like 11-12V while trying to crank, your battery is toast. If it stays at 12V+, it's not the battery. Or not only the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: CybrSlydr
I have no idea what is, I was making a joke, apparently a poor joke at that.
No worries - when I'm dealing with something new, I don't assume anything. You tell me that's oil, I'll believe you unless told otherwise. I don't want to make any assumptions that may foul up the process.

So, what's the easiest way to get to this starter? I went under the Jeep last night in the school parking lot and put the passenger wheel up on a ramp, but the exhaust ran so close to it that I couldn't get the ratchet to start to pull it off.

Is it easier to go from the top down through the engine bay? That seems like a long reach.

So, what's the easiest way to get to this starter? I went under the Jeep last night in the school parking lot and put the passenger wheel up on a ramp, but the exhaust ran so close to it that I couldn't get the ratchet to start to pull it off.

Is it easier to go from the top down through the engine bay? That seems like a long reach.
Wobble sockets and extensions should do the trick. Habor frieghts set hasn't failed me yet. 2 uses :ROFLMAO:

Welp, got the old one off.

46928447884_9c4455a43f_k.jpg

Am getting ready to take it to AutoZone where I bought a New DuraMax Gold with a lifetime warranty to swap for the $40 core charge. Prior to the core refund, the starter was $184.99.