Is my steering damper working properly?

Shatto

TJ Enthusiast
***** I Want Car Help *****
This is the steering damper on my Jeep Wrangler.
It is scraped but you can't see the dent.
I don't have any steering symptoms but I do wonder if it is working properly or even working.

upload_2018-9-16_21-24-58.png

Keep in mind that a steering damper has no effect only your steering whatsoever for the most part. You can take it off entirely, drive around for a week, and it really won't feel any different.

For this reason, it's quite amusing when you see people go out and waste their money on "performance" steering stabilizers, or even better, "dual steering stabilizers" (which are an even bigger joke), as if it's going to some how make their steering better.

Quite the contrary actually. What some of those very stiff dampers will do is fight your steering in one direction and cause your power steering pump (and your hands) to work harder to turn the wheel.

The only reason you'd ever need some insane setup like that would possibly be if you were doing Baja style dessert racing, where you were hitting washboard roads at high speeds. At that point, much like the steering damper on a performance sport bike (motorcycle), the steering damper would dampen the high-speed shimmying / side-to-side movement of the steering. It won't get rid of it entirely, but it will dampen it to some degree.

The moral of the story is that you can replace your steering damper, but if you do so, don't spend tons of money. Buy a Monroe damper, or something cheaper like a Rancho, OME, etc. Don't waste money on a part that isn't going to do anything for you.

A bad steering damper would have no symptoms whatsoever. I can also say with certainty that those little scratches and minor dents on it, are not enough to cause it to fail.

Reactions: SSTJ and Boinked
The steering dampener is actually pretty easy to diagnose because if it’s bad it is one of the causes for death wobble so try taking it to 55 mph and see if you have death wobble and if you do it is likely the dampener that was the very first problem I had to fix on my tj but you can also tell it’s bad if it starts to leak fluid or if you unbolt one side and it’s very easy to compress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The steering dampener is actually pretty easy to diagnose because if it’s bad it is one of the causes for death wobble so try taking it to 55 mph and see if you have death wobble and if you do it is likely the dampener.

No, it's not a cause of death wobble.

*Edit* And it's not a fix for death wobble.

The steering dampener is actually pretty easy to diagnose because if it’s bad it is one of the causes for death wobble so try taking it to 55 mph and see if you have death wobble and if you do it is likely the dampener that was the very first problem I had to fix on my tj but you can also tell it’s bad if it starts to leak fluid or if you unbolt one side and it’s very easy to compress.

This is so wrong in so many ways. A steering damper does not cause or cure "death wobble", it can only mask steering problems.

When mine was dented really bad I removed it. I drove it that way for a couples of months and I couldn't tell it wasn't there. I did end up putting a cheap one back on, but I know several TJ owners that haven't run one in years.

This is so wrong in so many ways. A steering damper does not cause or cure "death wobble", it can only mask steering problems.

When mine was dented really bad I removed it. I drove it that way for a couples of months and I couldn't tell it wasn't there. I did end up putting a cheap one back on, but I know several TJ owners that haven't run one in years.

Well I guess I’ve got some big problems to find that sucks lol

*********DISCLAIMER*******
This is for information use only.

This is a good video of what death wobble "COULD" look like.

You can "MASK" or hide the effects of death wobble by installing a new stabilizer. But that will not fix the cause.

***** I Want Car Help *****
This is the steering damper on my Jeep Wrangler.
It is scraped but you can't see the dent.
I don't have any steering symptoms but I do wonder if it is working properly or even working.

View attachment 55642
What was dented? The dust cover over the shaft or the main body?

*********DISCLAIMER*******
This is for information use only.

This is a good video of what death wobble "COULD" look like.

You can "MASK" or hide the effects of death wobble by installing a new stabilizer. But that will not fix the cause.

holy shit!

I agree i love that one. But i wanted to show the steering stabilizer movement. It illustrate that if it was new and tight it could absorb the wobble. But still not fix the cause.

Reactions: Squatch
I agree i love that one. But i wanted to show the steering stabilizer movement. It illustrate that if it was new and tight it could absorb the wobble. But still not fix the cause.
The video you posted does, in fact, demonstrate that. The first thing one notices is the nice, new RC unit on there. Unfortunately, the violence is happening so quickly that you can hardly tell what's going on under there, even in slow motion. I only added my video choice to show how much fun it is when viewed from the outside. ;)

Edit: After watching it again, I guess you do definitely get to see the stabilizer doing its best to keep up! LOL A few miles of Death Wobble is like a 6 months of dampening activity under normal driving conditions!

The video you posted does, in fact, demonstrate that. The first thing one notices is the nice, new RC unit on there. Unfortunately, the violence is happening so quickly that you can hardly tell what's going on under there, even in slow motion. I only added my video choice to show how much fun it is when viewed from the outside. ;)
I want to find one with split screen.

I want to see the front shaking the shit out of the tires.

While i watch the driver shaking a shit out of himself.

Reactions: Squatch