Is my steering damper working properly?

I’m new to the jeep community I just took my jeep to get new upper and lower ball joints and a few newer things int the front because my jeep was experiencing the death wobble that fixed the problem until I put new rims on. Kept the same tires just added new wheels. Now I’m experiencing the death wobble again. I ordered a new steering stabilizer hoping that with help me drive. Other then that I’m lost. Is there any one who can help me identify the problem. It feels like my tire is about to snap off. If anyone could help that’s be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I’m new to the jeep community I just took my jeep to get new upper and lower ball joints and a few newer things int the front because my jeep was experiencing the death wobble that fixed the problem until I put new rims on. Kept the same tires just added new wheels. Now I’m experiencing the death wobble again. I ordered a new steering stabilizer hoping that with help me drive. Other then that I’m lost. Is there any one who can help me identify the problem. It feels like my tire is about to snap off. If anyone could help that’s be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Post some photos of the front axle and suspension. In particular we'll want to see a shot that includes the steering drag link, tie rod, and trackbar.

Also take good photos of the trackbar mount and of the pitman arm.

Often times shops or previous owners will install steering equipment that has altered geometry from stock. Some of this works to various degrees, but more often than not it causes new issues. If we can identify what you have we can rule out a lot of possibilities.

***** I Want Car Help *****
This is the steering damper on my Jeep Wrangler.
It is scraped but you can't see the dent.
I don't have any steering symptoms but I do wonder if it is working properly or even working.

View attachment 55642
As a general rule, it is always best to check all of your steering and brake components and make sure they are all in good condition.

I help a big group of TJers with their repairs and maintenance every week and we always start with a complete inspection of the components. In the steering sector, the most common flaws I personally run into are trackbar and ball joints.

We generally end up replacing the balls and doing a full ZJ conversion and a new adjustable track bar. The last item of consideration is the dampener. With all those new parts, most opt for a basic and inexpensive dampener just to keep it pretty.

As the labor is free, I have had guys replace all their steering components and ball joints (even though they passed inspection but were just old), and then claim their steering/handling/ride vastly improved. Placebo? I doubt it. Miniscule play in multiple areas can add up. Add to it we align it whilst we are at it and suddenly we are miracle workers.

As you are concerned about something that has not manifested in bad handling, test the entire sector and replace any worn componenets. Get a competent alignment and rest easy. Bottom of the list will be the dampener.

BTW, I always replace the axle seals when doing the balls and 50% of the time that ends with new axle joints as well. Overkill? Most of the parts I see and test are original and used hard and poorly maintained.

The TJs here are almost all dune bashers.

Post some photos of the front axle and suspension. In particular we'll want to see a shot that includes the steering drag link, tie rod, and trackbar.

Also take good photos of the trackbar mount and of the pitman arm.

Often times shops or previous owners will install steering equipment that has altered geometry from stock. Some of this works to various degrees, but more often than not it causes new issues. If we can identify what you have we can rule out a lot of possibilities.

9D53B106-05DF-42B7-8F86-C15AF1E5865A.jpeg

D487D7E7-5BD6-4B2A-81F0-B3B1EE08EA09.jpeg

223988DF-7E5C-4FE6-B31D-9296131B2630.jpeg

F680BE1E-69E7-490E-A16E-900559FE718B.jpeg

609DE596-1C31-4E54-9F44-0D0C7CAB4E5F.jpeg

2BAC43A3-6686-41F7-9B8E-35C80A58837A.jpeg

That appears to be a dropped trackbar mount. Not 100% sure but that appears to be a stock pitman arm. If that's the case, then the steering geometry could be adversely affected. Drop trackbar mounts and dropped pitman arms can be used but they MUST be used together.

That also appears to be a crossover steering kit which is not stock. My.recommendation would be to replace the steering with either factory or factory-geometry upgraded (e.g., ZJ, Currie, or Savvy steering) and the trackbard with stock or upgraded stock geometry.

The only unknown is if they drilled out the knuckles or trackbar mount to install that stuff, meaning you would have to replace those items too.

@mrblaine do you recognize that steering? Do you think they drilled out the knuckles to install it?

Edit: Ignore everything. Wrong jeep

Last edited:
That appears to be a dropped trackbar mount. Not 100% sure but that appears to be a stock pitman arm. If that's the case, then the steering geometry could be adversely affected. Drop trackbar mounts and dropped pitman arms can be used but they MUST be used together.

That also appears to be a crossover steering kit which is not stock. My.recommendation would be to replace the steering with either factory or factory-geometry upgraded (e.g., ZJ, Currie, or Savvy steering) and the trackbard with stock or upgraded stock geometry.

The only unknown is if they drilled out the knuckles or trackbar mount to install that stuff, meaning you would have to replace those items too.

@mrblaine do you recognize that steering? Do you think they drilled out the knuckles to install it?
It would help if you knew you were looking under the front of a JK. Also not sure why they have offset upper balljoints.

Reactions: Steel City 06