Is my TJ the only TJ where my soft top leaks less than my hard top?

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I mean seriously, my back window seems to allow a significant amount of water in at the very top where the glass meets the seal/hardtop. I can't even seem to source a replacement seal for it and it looks fine. Any advice?

I never thought my soft top would ever be 100% dry and my hard top would be the issue :L.

You're not alone. My soft top doesn't leak at all, but I have the same problem where my hard top leaks around the rear window. I haven't been able to locate the exact spot where mine leaks though.

My soft top is held together with Gorilla tape, and it doesn't leak. The JKU on the other hand, pees on my left leg no matter what I do. TJ soft tops rock.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I mean seriously, my back window seems to allow a significant amount of water in at the very top where the glass meets the seal/hardtop. I can't even seem to source a replacement seal for it and it looks fine. Any advice?

I never thought my soft top would ever be 100% dry and my hard top would be the issue :L.
My hardtop started leaking through the back window last season, tried tightening up all the seals, no luck.

Then after having it off all summer and putting it back on in the fall, I've had no leaks after some heavy rain and snow. Which makes me think maybe the top shifted and wasn't sealing right.

Maybe check all your bolts holding the hardtop on and make sure they're snug? Also try repositioning it, as that seemed to inadvertently solve my leaky hardtop problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
My hardtop started leaking through the back window last season, tried tightening up all the seals, no luck.

Then after having it off all summer and putting it back on in the fall, I've had no leaks after some heavy rain and snow. Which makes me think maybe the top shifted and wasn't sealing right.

Maybe check all your bolts holding the hardtop on and make sure they're snug? Also try repositioning it, as that seemed to inadvertently solve my leaky hardtop problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah they are all snug, I will get a hose on it in a day or two and track down the leak.

My hardtop never leaks at all, not once, and that's in the crazy rain we have up here in Oregon. Of course all my seals are relatively new...

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'm familiar with this leaking source, although mine is not here. My is the giant seal that goes along the side and top of the hardtop where the glass rests against. It leaks on the top during heavy rain. Its easy to diagnose because I can see it dripping down the window during the rain.

Oh, you mean the header seal! Yeah, when I replaced mine, I got it from here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GEIX2H0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those things are kind of expensive, but it fixed the slight noise I was getting from my old header seal.

Oh, you mean the header seal! Yeah, when I replaced mine, I got it from here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GEIX2H0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those things are kind of expensive, but it fixed the slight noise I was getting from my old header seal.
Dang I thought my communication class was helping me in college ;). I really suck at explaining. Its literally the only window touching seal you haven't mentioned.

Edit: See photo below, its that giant seal/piece of weatherstripping:

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang I thought my communication class was helping me in college ;). I really suck at explaining. Its literally the only window touching seal you haven't mentioned.

Edit: See photo below, its that giant seal/piece of weatherstripping:

View attachment 27003

Haha, my bad!

That's part number 55175041AH. I ended up getting mind from Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD915ZF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They have the OE one as well, but it's just rubber, so I wasn't too concerned:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007O3LR7Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rock on chris I’ll pick that up in the near future, think I should seat the seal with a small amount of rtv underneath? Or just seat the seal on bare hardtop?

I didn’t actually use any RTV and mine has been fine. However, now that you bring that up, I think it wouldn’t hurt at all to use some RTV in all honesty.

Took mine through the car wash about a month ago and I was surprised the only place it leaked was the back window at the very bottom where the zipper doesn't meet all the way. Tj soft tops are awesome. I will never take it through the car wash again with a soft top on lol. Was very sketchy haha

My hard top has always leaked at the bottom rear corners where the back glass seats into the tailgate bar clips. I've replaced the bottom back glass seal but didn't help. I haven't replaced the surround seal you mentioned Jimbo. My soft top has zero leaks, and it's a CL special.
If you replace that seal, just put a couple strategically placed dabs of gorilla snot on it to retain the gasket as you install it. RTV can get messy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M/?tag=wranglerorg-20