Is my transmission mount bad?

Junebugkp

Hey everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. I have had my 04 sport for about a year now and have really been learning a lot about it. It is a 4.0 auto with 90k miles on it.

Since I have owned it, I have been trying to track down a "clunk" noise. This noise happens when I put it into gear (drive or reverse) and also when I am about to stop in reverse (backing into a parking spot). I found that my lower control arm bushing were worn so I replaced those along with the rear track bar bushings which helped but did not stop the noise all together. The other day I was under the jeep trying to see if there was any play in the driveshaft. As I was pulling and pushing on it, I noticed my transfer case was moving up and down. If I had to guess I would say it moving about a half inch every time I pushed up on it. Should the trans mount be that flexible or is it possible this is my culprit to all of the clunking?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Last edited:
Intresting, I also have an 04, with an auto trans. After a year driving it, I noticed the feeling that something wasn't right with the trans or drive line. I used a jack on the trans case and noticed the slop. We pulled the skid plate and removed the trans mount. It was definitely split. Replaced it with a rubber style replacement. And it drove again like a new vehicle.

I plan on dropping the skid on Sunday and getting a better look at the mount, I just haven't had to the time lately.
The clunk is so bad that at first I thought something was wrong with the diff. You can hear the clunk a little, but feel it a lot. Feels like someone is hitting the floor board with a mallet or something.

If you have a 1/2" of slop then go ahead and order yourself a new one now.
Try and get rubber. Polly mounts send all the drivetrain vibration up into the cab.

Reactions: JMT
Be aware that some rubber transmission mounts are nearly as stiff as polyurethane. For that reason I'd avoid the least expensive rubber mounts but as above, do make sure to go with rubber. Hopefully a more expensive rubber mount you find has the softer rubber formulation like the factory mount uses.

Reactions: Goatman
Well I changed out the trans mount which helped with some vibrations I was having. But the clunk is still there when I am backing up and hit brakes

That could be control arm bushings. If they are stock then they most likely need replacement just due to age. If you see any dryrot on the rubber then its time.

I didn't have a flashlight so it was hard to see the bushings while I was under it yesterday, but the arms themselves do look stock. I might as well replace them since they are cheap enough.

Well I changed out the trans mount which helped with some vibrations I was having. But the clunk is still there when I am backing up and hit brakes
Take a look at the exhaust hanger on the pass side of the trans mount and confirm the rubber bush is still there and intact.

Just went thru this and thought I would help others out on here. Decided to put a Deep Sump on my Transmision and in the process noticed a torn Transmission Mount. Went to dealer and they were asking $260.00 so naturally went to Amazion and ordered a replacement made by DEA A2882 for $20.00 I noticed a little vibration at idle when in gear but thought the rubber would relax and smooth out after the trip. Next day I headed out Hillsboro Oregon from Gilbert Arizona, via Las Vegas, Tonopah, Hawthorne, Reno, along the "Freedom Hiway" epic trip to do by myself although it took 23 hours drive time. Stopped by Crater Lake and finally arrived in Hillsboro Oregon. Never really noticed much vibration at speed. As I pulled into hotel though, the vibration was NOTICEABLY worse.....Glove box door was shaking like crazy...... gonna be here on business for the next 4 weeks so starting looking for replacement right away. Got lucky and found OEM PN# 52058551AB Transmission mount with Chrysler markings on Amazon that was made in Canada for $96.00 and free shipping. Ordered to the hotel and managed to swap it out again in the hotel parking lot and have to say I should have bought the OEM mount in the first place. Idles in drive as smooth as any Honda Civic. Very smooth as you roll away from the light. Much smoother on the at 75MPH. Just 150% better then non-OEM part. No comparison what so ever.

Before installing OEM PN# 52058551AB I pushed my finger against the rubber and have to say that it is WAY softer then the DEA part I ordered. DEA part was rock hard in comparison. OEM was WAY softer.....

I just wanted to let others know so they don't make the same mistake I made. Some parts you can get away with non-OEM to save some $ but the Transmission Mount is NOT ONE OF THEM!

I know money doesnt grow on trees and we all try and save a little money here and there but I can assure you going with the OEM you will not regret it.

Like night and day difference and worth the extra $$$$

Reactions: Claytone and JMT
Hmm. if you swap the mount and same issue check your spider gears in your rear end. Also to save ya some money get your hear axle off the ground have a buddy go through the gears while you observe the drivetrain see if the tranny is hopping at the mount. if not and you hear it closer to the tires welcome to stock rear end world.