Is one air filter better than the other?

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
Changed out my air filter. The one I replaced was a Hastings. The new is, as you can all see below, a Napa Gold. I don't give these things much thought or analyzation. But curiously wondering if that added Hastings layer was just that, an extra w the same effect? Anyone that cares to comment, please do.

e27b3f55ebfb02421fd09bfd6f405163.jpg
9d601cf313e4c100b92d3b92ebf81d93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC-Delco consistently gets top marks in air filtration tests, K&N consistently gets the very worst marks. Marks being for air filtration, dirt capacity, and flow time until the air flow restriction from getting clogged with dirt reaches a certain point. The only thing K&N's air filters consistently rank highest in is air flow, which is an easy thing to get good marks in. A coarse screen would get high marks in air flow too but like the K&N, it doesn't filter fine dust, silica, or dirt out either.

I'd go AC-Delco, Purolator, or Fram where air filters are concerned. AC-Delco is well above anyone else, the rest were not close seconds.

AC-Delco's filter gets good marks for both air flow and filtration... exactly what we want.

Last edited:
Jerry (above) is the reason I removed my conical K&N air filter and went back to stock box.
Up until then, I thought the K&N filter was the best.
Considering I was primarily doing city driving at the time, I don't think it hurt me any, and I loved the 1.376 HP boost :p, but I feel safer now that I travel on dirtier/dustier 4x4 areas with my stock box. (I can't remember the brand I have, but I think it's AC-Delco).

So I've said it before, and I'll say it again - thanks for your contributions to the Jeep community Jerry.

Over oiled K&N's can cause issues with mass air flow meters. The wires change resistance with air flow, that's how the computer knows how much air the engine is getting. When they get coated with oil from a overdose of oil on a K&N type air filter they are not accurate because the oil coating changes the resistance. Just one more reason to go with a good standard filter like Jerry recommends.

B

Reactions: Robert J Balsan Jr
Thank you for the wisdom, fellas. I'll go with AC Delco next air filter change-up. I did, at some point, recently read that AC Delco outperformed other brands. But I wasn't too concerned that the NAPA filter was a poor choice. And for the record, I've thankfully never touched a K&N product. The price alone kept me far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's common sense. A high end $60 filter is way better than a cheap $10 filter.

I don't put cheap filters in my jeep.

:smiley_1140:

:couch:

Reactions: StG58
Good air filters are important. A filter's job is to keep out the dirt and let in the air. I've seen that having a really dirty air filter caused gas mileage to drop so I like to keep them fresh. However, if I'm spending a few days off road in the dust, I will remove my "everyday" filter and put in my "off road" filter. Probably being too cheap but that's my nature.

Reactions: fourpointzero
However, if I'm spending a few days off road in the dust, I will remove my "everyday" filter and put in my "off road" filter. Probably being too cheap but that's my nature.
I'd rather trust a cheap filter on-road where it is less dusty than off-road where it is often extremely dusty. For offroading, I'd run the best filter possible... that's where the most contaminants and fine dirt/dust/silica is going to be in the air.

Over oiled K&N's can cause issues with mass air flow meters. The wires change resistance with air flow, that's how the computer knows how much air the engine is getting. When they get coated with oil from a overdose of oil on a K&N type air filter they are not accurate because the oil coating changes the resistance. Just one more reason to go with a good standard filter like Jerry recommends.

B
Doesn't even have to be over oiled. I had an Airhog (Fram K&N knock off) and was getting odd error codes on my Silverado. I did some looking online and found the filter may be an issue. I cleaned off the MAF, installed a new Wix filter, and codes went away to never return. When I looked at the sensor wire, you could see the slightest oily/dirt build up on it. The wire is so thin it doesn't take much to contaminate it.

You missed the hilarity and drama that ensued from a new member, now banned, and a reference to not putting cheap parts on her TJ in another thread @Jerry Bransford, that's what @Ahoragi was referring to in his post. Well, you actually didn't miss much, in the grand scheme of things, but it was entertaining for a moment. The thread and member are now gone, thankfully.

Ok I guess it's time the below chart and data gets thrown out here...

There was an exhaustive ISO 5011 lab test conducted several years back which just further reinforced my belief that K&N's filters are POS's indeed.

" (quoted)
ISO 5011 Test:

The ISO 5011 Standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. As Arlen learned in attempting his own tests, there are many variables that can adversely affect filter test results. A small temperature change or a small change in humidity can cause the mass of a paper filter to change by several grams. To obtain an accurate measure of filter efficiency, it’s critical to know the EXACT amount of test dust being fed into the filter during the test. By following the ISO 5011 standard, a filter tested in Germany can be compared directly compared to another filter tested 5 years later in Rhode Island. The ISO 5011 filter test data for each filter is contained in two test reports; Capacity-Efficiency and Flow Restriction." (end of quote from the lab test)

The below just one chart & comment copied verbatim from the multi-page lab test. The only thing the K&N topped the charts with was air flow... which is nothing, a screen door has great air flow through it.

KN-Filter-Chart.jpg

In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574 gms of dirt and passed only 0.4 gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221 gms of dirt but passed 7.0 gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. (The lab's words, not mine)

If someone doesn't care how much dirt gets passed into their engine, the K&N would be a good choice. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodle and StG58