Is replacing bad rear driveshaft u-joints urgent?

burdetter16

So my rear driveshaft u-joints are bad. I am planning on doing a SYE and CV driveshaft soon so if I don’t have to I’d rather not replace the u-joints just to turn around and put a new drive shaft in. So would it be okay to wait 2 or 3 weeks or do I risk damaging something else? Thanks for your help!

Reactions: txbemis69
well if the front u-joint lets go you might have a shaft sticking through the back floorboard, but if the one on the back of the shaft lets go you'll just leave it on the road, no biggie !

Reactions: connor grimes
So my rear driveshaft u-joints are bad. I am planning on doing a SYE and CV driveshaft soon so if I don’t have to I’d rather not replace the u-joints just to turn around and put a new drive shaft in. So would it be okay to wait 2 or 3 weeks or do I risk damaging something else? Thanks for your help!

If you do replace you could end up just pulling them and using as trail spares for the future

well if the front u-joint lets go you might have a shaft sticking through the back floorboard, but if the one on the back of the shaft lets go you'll just leave it on the road, no biggie !

LOL True! I pulled the front drive shaft when I first started noticing symptoms to make sure that wasn't it. still getting some symptoms though.

If it's bad enough and breaks, it could take out the transfer case. If you're concerned, you can pull the rear driveshaft and run in 4WH, with just the front driveshaft.

Symptoms don't seem too bad right now. Very slight vibrations when I accelerate kinda hard and I hear a little squeak at lower speeds. I'm not too concerned right now but wanted to see what others thought.

If it's bad enough and breaks, it could take out the transfer case. If you're concerned, you can pull the rear driveshaft and run in 4WH, with just the front driveshaft.

this. i just did the same thing.. few weeks driving in 4hi until I got the replacement parts and found time to get it done.

Pay $ now and fix it at home or pay $$$ and have it fail some where inconvenient. It’s a safety issue IMO and should be addressed sooner than later.

it's kinda like when your 500 miles from your next oil change and your only :ROFLMAO: a quart low ! do you waste a qt of oil and add it now or just wait the 500 miles ?

Reactions: bucky
go to (dont let Jerry see this) autozone and get the cheapest u-joints they have $15. and later keep them as a emergency spare !!!!!
I agree. Maybe $40 for the joints is money well spent on the peace of mind that the shaft will be safe for a few more weeks until you get the SYE and CV shaft. That way if 2-3 weeks turns into 3-5 you'll still be okay. Plus you get the added bonus of practicing your u-joint replacement skills, a thing that might come in handy in the future.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/diy-u-joint-replacement

IF the rear driveshaft is removed; the OP will puke at least some of the transmission fluid from the transfercase while driving.
As Artsifrtsi posted above; that only works if a SYE has been installed.

IF the rear driveshaft is removed; the OP will puke at least some of the transmission fluid from the transfercase while driving.
As Artsifrtsi posted above; that only works if a SYE has been installed.

I thought TJ transfer cases are sealed at the rear driveshaft? As far as I’m aware it’s only the YJ cases that would leak.

Reactions: Irun and GPK03X
I thought TJ transfer cases are sealed at the rear driveshaft? As far as I’m aware it’s only the YJ cases that would leak.

They are sealed and the slip yoke is considered external. If they leak, it's due to a bad seal. Regardless, for the cost of u joints, I'd just fix it!

They are sealed and the slip yoke is considered external. If they leak, it's due to a bad seal. Regardless, for the cost of u joints, I'd just fix it!

I thought so. And yeah, I do agree. Just didn’t think leaking would be an issue if he went the FWD route and wanted to clarify.

Reactions: Irun

I wasn't sure of what year that was resolved in the 231J; I know the XJs had that problem until the last few years of production...
Thanks for the information.