Is Rock Hard 4x4 rear tire carrier / bumper still the overall recommendation?

@connor grimes You mentioned towing. The Next Venture also has the option for an integrated hitch receiver. Or you could add one post factum, like some here have done.

Even with the NV hitch addon, and the Morryde reinforcement, that still comes out way under $1700.

Post up the list and I'll point right back at a list of inconsequential winers.

1706138785141.png

Spelling is key :)

Hey everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rear tire carrier /bumper to replace my redrock one. Reasons for replacing are it rattles all the time, I don't trust the welds, pivot from breaking, and I want to tow a small trailer and I also don't trust the integrated hitch receiver. I've seen over the years that people love the Rock Hard 4X4 tire carrier as it seems to not rattle, be very strong, and has a proper hitch for towing (within reason). It also costs $1700+ to get delivered ($300 freight shipping). Are there any other brands out there people recommend? I'll be carrying a 35" spare and towing a 1000lb trailer. What are y'all running these days? thanks

You may want to check out the dirtworx rear bumper tire carrier set up, I've been running on for years, touch as can be, (bounced it off more than one boulder) has options for fuel carriers and such. Mine is set up for the rotopax system. They do come bare metal so you need to paint it or send it out.

FWiW, I had a big swing out tire carrier for many years. After a lot of effort, I modified the latch to stop the rattling. But eventually after about 80k miles of shaking, the tire mount started to crack. I fixed that. But around that same time, I realized this thing was heavy and was frequently getting in the way on the trail.

The fix was an ExoGate and a Next Venture low profile crossmember plate. Everything about this change was for the better. Both in terms of performance, usability and aesthetics.

Eventually, the plan is to put the spare tire into the bed. But where the spare needs to hang off the back, there isn't much better.

Reactions: rasband and PNW_LJ
I have the Moryde and, as trailer park as it is, a smitybilt bumper with integrated hitch, add on a couple bumper frame tie-ins and I am WELL under $1700. I have pics of both in my short build thread. Kind of supprised at how stoute the SB bumper is.

Reactions: Weasellee
I have the Moryde and, as trailer park as it is, a smitybilt bumper with integrated hitch, add on a couple bumper frame tie-ins and I am WELL under $1700. I have pics of both in my short build thread. Kind of supprised at how stoute the SB bumper is.

I also have the Smittybilt rear bumper (src classic). It's definitely heavier duty than I expected. I bought it because it was the only one with an actual rated receiver that I could find. The only negative thing I can say is they don't pay super close attention to detail. Mine, along with several others I've seen, have the receiver welded on just slightly crooked. It doesn't affect anything except for my ADD lol.

I plan to add the Moryde soon. I've been running with a nekid tailgate for 2 years now. I like the look, and it'll be hard to get used to seeing a spare on the back again, but I'll feel more comfortable having it.

Oversize tires often don't fit under the bed. The JT for example, will only fit a 37" tire max in the factory spare location.

Another thing many forget is extra weight on the back of a pickup (ex. heavy rear bumper), can actually be a good thing.

From there you choose the lesser of two evils, a tire carrier bumper, or taking up bed space. Or I guess running no spare at all.

Im sorry. I use my pickup to haul things. Your reference is to those that wheel or overland a pickup.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hey everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rear tire carrier /bumper to replace my redrock one. Reasons for replacing are it rattles all the time, I don't trust the welds, pivot from breaking, and I want to tow a small trailer and I also don't trust the integrated hitch receiver. I've seen over the years that people love the Rock Hard 4X4 tire carrier as it seems to not rattle, be very strong, and has a proper hitch for towing (within reason). It also costs $1700+ to get delivered ($300 freight shipping). Are there any other brands out there people recommend? I'll be carrying a 35" spare and towing a 1000lb trailer. What are y'all running these days? thanks

I went with the Morryde tailgate reinforcement and just went to a ruffstuff rear bumper with some mods. I gained a few inched from what I had before.

IMO, a tire carrier bumper is usually only sensible on the back of a pickup truck.

Thats because you run small tires. If you elect to carry a spare, where are ya gonna stick a 37, 40, or 42 if not on the bumper?

By the way - who is this JJ you all keep mentioning?

• Haha
Reactions: PNW_LJ and B00mb00m