Is Rugged Ridge HD steering a good idea?

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
First time I've seen this. Good idea or not? If so/not, why?

Basically boils down to heavier tie rod and drag link, with the attachment of the drag link to the tie rod close to the ps knuckle, and the tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle. No modifications to knuckles required. Just curious.

Last edited:
Don’t do it. It’s absolute garbage. And tie rod ends are expensive. If you’re on a budget. (Assuming you are since you’re looking at Rugged Ridge). Do a V8 ZJ tie rod swap. I replaced my shitty rugged ridge set up with the ZJ set up. Far better set up. And parts are cheaper. Go with Moog parts.

Reactions: jimsmith29841
I'm not looking at changing my steering, I just ran across the link and wondered about the geometry of the setup vs. oem.

I'm not looking at changing my steering, I just ran across the link and wondered about the geometry of the setup vs. oem.

Stock geometry is best. Look at the Currie set up. It mimics the OEM set up.

Don’t do it. It’s absolute garbage. And tie rod ends are expensive. If you’re on a budget. (Assuming you are since you’re looking at Rugged Ridge). Do a V8 ZJ tie rod swap. I replaced my shitty rugged ridge set up with the ZJ set up. Far better set up. And parts are cheaper. Go with Moog parts.
Rather than just state 'absolute garbage', do you have a reason it's that, other than more expensive tie rod ends? Or is the reason simply because it's Rugged Ridge? Trying to learn something here.

Rather than just state 'absolute garbage', do you have a reason it's that, other than more expensive tie rod ends? Or is the reason simply because it's Rugged Ridge? Trying to learn something here.

While turning the tie rod rotates allowing excessive steering wheel movement.

Reactions: jimsmith29841
I thought RR used V8 ZJ tie rod ends? 7/8" stock taper? The video is of a worn out RR steering. It most likely needs spacers replaced to eliminate the play. The Currie is the way to go if you are willing to pay the money. I have no complaints with the RR steering after almost a year.

That RR tie rod looks to be hollow. ZJ tie rod is solid and uses the same short tie rod end as the drag link.