Is Subaru The New Extreme AWD Off-Road Brand?

Define extreme. Sure, they can go a lot of fun places. I almost bought an outback for my daughter's dd in the snow, but it wouldn't work for some of the places i want to see.

Had a '98 Subaru Legacy GT way back. Did the same thing with mine on light fire trails. You'll be surprised of what it's capable of.

They started out in the right direction but didn't ever quite get near real off-roading. AWD is just AWD 😢

0adb9844cfe77d1dfef41bf4c68ecca7.jpg

I previously had an AWD Suzuki hatchback that I built for backcountry travel (Suspension Lift, KO1's, Sliders, Under Armor, KC's) but as awesome as it was it was so limited in the scheme of what you could do. That led to me ultimately getting my TJ when my ZUK got totaled...bittersweet.

Here's one of its last great excursions to the middle of nowhere.

But, since this is a Subaru thread I will say my brother has a CrossTrek and he is building it for this use too, but I feel like a lot of people in Montana build whatever their vehicle is for life in Montana...

My wife has a '16 Outback. I picked it out (as long as it's reliable and has room is what she cares about). I would LOVE to take it off road — nothing too extreme, some forest trails for example. But alas, it will most likely not. It has driven very well thru the snow we had this winter. And the room inside is awesome....we've made several trips to Orlando packed with people, stuff, and roof top carrier with more stuff.

At least I have TJ that I can do what I want with.

That's comical and timely!
We went out to the Badlands at Attica Indiana which is close to the Subaru plant at Lafayette.

There was a young couple out where the bigger trucks play asking "how do we get out of here"

She had a map in her lap. He had a brand new Subaru hat on.

The Subaru was a hatch back affair. The rear plastic around the bumper cracked and hanging loose. The front air dam missing. The surround around the fog lights missing.

And they had barely got into the tough stuff. No ground clearance.

I’m on my 4th subi and my wife has had 2. I’ve had my 5 deer in the back of 02 outback and spent a lot of time on Jeep trails in Co. Great cars and very capable. I’ve never used it for rock crawling or heavy stuff, but it always got me to where I wanted to go.