Is the 06 timing chain tensioner hydraulic?

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Is the 06 timing chain tensioner hydraulic? and can it loose pressure if worn and slacken overnight?
Still chasing a very short (less than a second) quick rapid rattle at cold start or periods of non use.

Cheers

There is a small timing chain guide on these engines, but no tensioner. Off the top of my head I would guess that you're hearing the hydraulic lifters rattle a little on start up before they pump up. Could mean it is time for new lifters, but not necessarily an urgent need.

Reactions: Fishtaco
What oil and filter are you running? Lifter tap/rattle is common with the 4.0.
I posted a pic of my filter in a previous thread as Jerry B asked if my filter was anti drain back and it is the correct Ryco type.

It only started after my oil change to 10w 30 as recommended or I didnt notice it when I bought it. OP may have had Thicker oil or additives in it ?

There is a small timing chain guide on these engines, but no tensioner. Off the top of my head I would guess that you're hearing the hydraulic lifters rattle a little on start up before they pump up. Could mean it is time for new lifters, but not necessarily an urgent need.
Puts my mind at ease a bit, Its hard to record a noise that's so quick and doesn't happen again until its left for a long overnight period at least 12-14 hours plus.

Sounds like a very rapid very short pre ignition type rattle. At least the chain tensioner isn't hydraulic as this would mean low oil pressure at start up :( I will have my lifters looked at.

cheers

The lifters on my previous TJ were significantly louder for a longer period of time when I used valvoline products than when I used Castrol, even when both were in the same viscosity grade. Just experiment with a few brands and see what ends up the least noisy.

Just realized the short rattle at cold start up also happen on a warmed engine start up that has been parked for a while on an Incline!
Any thoughts am still steering towards chain rattle.

Cheers

Just realized the short rattle at cold start up also happen on a warmed engine start up that has been parked for a while on an Incline!
Any thoughts am still steering towards chain rattle.

Cheers
can you have somebody start it up for you while you listen with a mechanics stethoscope? I don't hear a lot about chain rattle with these engines, but we hear about lifters all the time. My 99 did the same rattle on a warm startup just like a cold one, though when warm it seemed to go away more quickly. Still lasted at least 30 seconds though, and it was less of a random rattle and more a definite tap that corresponded with camshaft speed, and was heard loudest under the oil pan so there was pretty much zero doubt about it being in the region of the camshaft and lifters.

Your mileage seems premature for a worn timing chain. They generally outlast the rest of the engine, you just replace it while it's already apart for a rebuild/refresh.

Though I suppose since people almost ALWAYS replace the chain when they replace lifters, it's possible that the chain is what's fixing some of the noises instead of the lifters.

Bit hard to pinpoint as its so quick, longest the rattle has lasted is around 2 seconds.
Obviously not a common problem and doesnt sound anything like lifter tick, maybe its something as simple as the starter gear not returning fast enough and touching the ring gear? engine runs quiet there is no noises if I put it under load and It has got no worse in 7 months so it cant be major.

No start up rattle in 2 weeks after changing oil to Magnatec 10w-40 and putting on the expensive synthetic filter.
I can remember now I did not notice any noise before the oil change to high performance conventional 10w-30 soon after purchase so could have been a faulty filter allowing drain back? or too thin an oil?
High performance 10w-30 was all that was available at the time in 10w-30.
Maybe it just didn't like that particular oil?

I had same problem for the first time after a recent oil change. Changed my filter and it went away. It was a Mopar filter bought from Walmart.....