Is the 2.5 4 cylinder a 1-piece or 2-piece rear main seal?

woody367

TJ Enthusiast
Sorry in advance I am sure this has been asked many time but I can not seem to find the answer. I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 and the RMS is leaking. Is this seal a 1 piece or 2 piece? I can find all kinds of info on the 4.0 but not the 2.5. I do not want to pull he trans to change a 1 piece seal and am hoping it is a 2 piece.

Sorry in advance I am sure this has been asked many time but I can not seem to find the answer. I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5 and the RMS is leaking. Is this seal a 1 piece or 2 piece? I can find all kinds of info on the 4.0 but not the 2.5. I do not want to pull he trans to change a 1 piece seal and am hoping it is a 2 piece.

From what I recall the 2.5 is a 1 piece seal. I don't own one, so I'm sure some of those guys will chime in to say for sure.

The rear main seal on a TJ doesn't require the transmission to be dropped in order to replace it. That's one of the nice things about the TJ!

There's a write-up here on how to replace the rear main seal on your 4.0: Rear Main Seal Replacement (4.0)