Is the chain in the transfer case in use full time in 2WD or only when it is in 4WD?

X2, and the front driveshaft spins 100% of the time the Jeep is moving on the road whether it's in 2wd or in 4x4.
I doubt all of this. This statement is only true, IMO, if the front diff were actuated by shifting into 4-wheel drive; & not the T-case.
I think the Dodge front axle is vacuum actuated, by shifting into 4x4. Our Jeep axles are not.

• Dislike
Reactions: EzPeezy
I doubt all of this. This statement is only true, IMO, if the front diff were actuated by shifting into 4-wheel drive; & not the T-case.
I think the Dodge front axle is vacuum actuated, by shifting into 4x4. Our Jeep axles are not.

Nope, our axles are always full time. No vacuum or no locking hubs so the driveshaft and axle shafts are always spinning. It is just disconnected from getting input in the Transfercase when in 2wd but its getting input from the road so the shifts spin.

So your Jeep's front wheels hover 2 inches above the pavement in 2WD?

I have a 2004 grand cherokee limited with Quadra drive and when i put it into 4weel into neutral i have no movement forwards or backwards but in active 4wd and 4low i am able to get around. Any ideas please help.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
I have a 2004 grand cherokee limited with Quadra drive and when i put it into 4weel into neutral i have no movement forwards or backwards but in active 4wd and 4low i am able to get around. Any ideas please help.

First off this is a TJ forum so you won't get a lot of answers about your Grand Cherokee. The Quadra Drive system is a full time 4WD system meaning your Jeep is a AWD vehicle.
When you put the transfer case into neutral it's the same as putting your transmission into neutral there isn't any power from the engine going to either axle. There is nothing wrong with your Jeep.

Reactions: pc1p and HYRYSC
Thank you. I learned that this morning. I have no 2wd option on my model. I am now leaning towards the drive as I have replaced the bearing on both sides and both axles are in great shape with no tooth grinding. Have I slight noise from the rear end area sounding like Ujoins possibly or further into the Dana 44 rear end. 😞 allot of the tjs had the same Dana 44 rear end just different shafts up to the diff.
First off this is a TJ forum so you won't get a lot of answers about your Grand Cherokee. The Quadra Drive system is a full time 4WD system meaning your Jeep is a AWD vehicle.
When you put the transfer case into neutral it's the same as putting your transmission into neutral there isn't any power from the engine going to either axle. There is nothing wrong with your Jeep.

Thank you. I learned that this morning. I have no 2wd option on my model. I am now leaning towards the drive as I have replaced the bearing on both sides and both axles are in great shape with no tooth grinding. Have I slight noise from the rear end area sounding like Ujoins possibly or further into the Dana 44 rear end. 😞 allot of the tjs had the same Dana 44 rear end just different shafts up to the diff.

Yes there isn't a 2WD option with the Quadra Trac system. Which do you have? The Quad II or ?

I would check which rear axle you have as many of the Dana 44's used in the GC were a D44a (aluminum center section).
Also check your drivelines because they were using a different design on some drivelines and had stopped using a conventual u-joint.

Got it figured out and will have parts tomorrow. Did a few more laps today trying to figure it out and had the bright idea 💡 to pull my rotor off and run just the axle. No noise. Put the rotor on with calliper. NOISE. Warped rotor and a failing calliper. So I'm going to have her good as new after work. 2004 with 112k and yes its a Quadra track ll system. I believe it is the Dana 44 hd with hydrolock. From what the boys in Michigan told me when I called to verify the rear end tags. Just remember him telling me it was the last of ots year with this setup. 😞 much harder to source parts and match other numbers up.

20210110_102332.jpg

The rotor will always make a rubbing noise as it rotates against the brake pads. And typically a pulsating sound or pulsating brake pedal is not caused by a warped rotor. It's usually caused by nothing more than a buildup of brake pad material... much like how a washboard dirt road builds its ridges up. The brake pad's ridged pattern buildup is caused by improper braking technique.