Is the clutch override fuse supposed to work on a Rubicon?

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
I am well aware that the rubicons can be started without the clutch depressed if the transfer case is in 4LO. In my old TJ I also learned that you can put a 10 amp fuse in the "clutch override" slot in the under the hood fuse panel and the engine will start without the clutch depressed. I assumed that installing the clutch override fuse in the Rubicon would allow the engine to be started without the clutch being depressed in other transfer case positions.

I just tried putting the fuse in the Rubicon and it won't start without pressing the clutch or being in 4LO. Is this how it is supposed to work? I was thinking if the fuse was in the engine would start in any transfer case position and without pressing the clutch pedal.

Mine works. I think I take it out of 19 and put it in 20. I think those are the numbers anyway. And BTW, I can start it without the clutch in and in any TC position.

Last edited:
I wonder what's going on with mine. I've only owned it for a year but the PO did not really F with anything and it is low mileage. Not sure about fuse numbers either but its clearly marked "clutch override" on the inside of the fuse panel cover.

Reactions: CodaMan