Is the front bounce bumper mount replaceable?

716-01TJ

Hi this is my 1st post, and I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have a 2001 tj and the part the jounce bumper goes into has rotted, I can't seem to find any posts or anything close to what my issue is currently, but I was wondering if it's a replaceable part or if something else would have to be done, and if it can be replaced how would I do that?
15213279014221635410233.jpg

Holy cow that’s some bad rust! I believe this part is welded to the frame, so you’d have to cut one off another frame in a junk yard.

That's the problem living in ny, all the salt during the winter eats away the metal, not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks lol, would it be something that can be made out of steel pipe or so, or best option is just gonna be pull it from another jeep?

Unfortunately the entire spring and bump stop mount is rotted out. Can you weld? How are your fabrication skills?

2003 Rubicon

Not very good, haven't gotten to practice much welding, though some of the guys I work with say they're good, and one is a certified welder that says he'd help, and silly question, but when you say the spring mount is rusted do you mean the part the bump stop is connected to?

The jounce bumper is press fit in steel cup. That cup bolts to a tube that is welded to the frame. Your tube has rotted through, which is why the jounce bumper had fallen off...

You should be able to make a new tube with some pipe and close it off. Drill and tap the plate you closed the tube with, and you should be able to put it back together.

Good luck. I might have some pictures of mine when it was apart, if you need.

Reactions: jjvw
Ranger_b0b, when you say it bolts in do you mean the rear cup? Or there's a bolt holding the jounce bumper in the mount? I would appreciate the pics if you happen to find them, did you make your own or didn't have as bad of a rust issue?
And bob5589, is there any known places that might seek those newer or junkyard is the only option, idk if there's gonna be many good shape part jeeps near me to pick from, just in case there isn't anyways

As stated, the bump stop cup holding the foam jounce is (supposed to be) bolted to the bump stop mount. Your bump stop mount is disintegrating. The bump stop mount is part of the upper spring mount.

Here are a few pics of mine.
415e4c170fd7fc5cd6a4dc9615d3bbad.jpg

c98976f1f424c76734bd55e8ec855799.jpg

0f61c83b281111fd97393a319630feb3.jpg

What I suspect happened is that over time, crap filled the inside of the mount. This acted like a sponge, trapping water and road salt, accelerating the corrosion.

A few years ago, I discovered that mine were full of mud and rocks. Now I make sure to occasionally blast them clean with a pressure washer at the self service car wash.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Ranger_b0b, when you say it bolts in do you mean the rear cup? Or there's a bolt holding the jounce bumper in the mount? I would appreciate the pics if you happen to find them, did you make your own or didn't have as bad of a rust issue?
And bob5589, is there any known places that might seek those newer or junkyard is the only option, idk if there's gonna be many good shape part jeeps near me to pick from, just in case there isn't anyways
As stated previous, that mount assembly consists of the front spring perch, the shock mount, bump stop tube, and bump stop cup. The cup bolts to the tube and even in non salt environments, fills with dirt and sand and then any water sits in the and rots them from the inside out. Best case it corrodes the threads on the bolt and that's it. We get very few in that aren't full of dirt and sand. The bottom end of the tube has a few small holes for drainage but they are easily overpowered. I'd fully recommend that everyone take an air nozzle and water to flush the tubes out and then put some good tape or a plastic plug over the top hole to slow down how much crap gets in there.

If that were mine, I'd evaluate the rest of the frame to make sure that just replacing the whole mount is worth is. If that is the only bad area, I'd start calling the salvage yards and ask them for sections of the front frame from frontal collisions and try to source the part that way. I know from experience that trying to remove the stock mount in one piece is a very tedious process and will take some time to get it off the frame without damage.

I suspect that there is enough rust on the frame elsewhere that it won't be worth it to save the front part but you'll have to figure that one out. Good luck.

Well, best bet might be a new frame then lol, or at least a southern one, cause it doesnt look that great, but most of it just seems like surface rust to me so idk lol, but I appreciate all the advice and help from you guys, going from other posts I've seen was expecting to hear something about doing my searches and such lol

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/coil-spring-seats/year/2002/make/jeep/model/wrangler - heres some for the bottom if you need them? http://daveysjeeps.com/

https://www.quadratec.com/p/auto-ru...il-spring-mount-plates-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

i think he said rubicon express replacement part - what ever you do, if you weld = use professional:) an now with that said, using a professional. i had a guy been welding for probably 50 years, helped me with an old school chopper. an he welded a weld around the bottom of the tube, under the tank, to hold the neck on. neither one of us, thought about that weld on a ridge frame under the tube. well, the speed, an the ridged frame, on hour from sturgis after about a 30 hour ride, all most cracked the tube all the way around, an the only thing that was holding me going down the road was the gas tank bolted, in front an behind that crack. all need to question welds, to make sure they are all correct. :) an continually inspect all welds done. an that gas tank that was holding me was from the 70s....

Last edited:
Off topic lol, but what do you mean a weld at the bottom of the tube? Not very knowledgeable when it comes to motorcycle terms, is that the part of the frame under the tank? Sounds like you were pretty lucky driving it as it was, all fixed up now or don't have it? And thinking I might end up making a big project out of the jeep at some point fixing the frame or cleaning up a used frame, any ideas if they'd have the mounts on them for the shock towers or just depends?

ya the tube, from the neck, to the rear. the gusset.
see at the mark 6.28 where his hand is. see how he got it welded going down the tube towards the rear. i had two diamond plate gussets coming down on each side. an then made a piece to fit, to slide in horizontal, an welded it, across the tube underneath. the force of the pounding of the tube in a downward motion on that horizontal piece, caused the tube to crack around the tube. the way hes got it welded there, he is going down the tube, not across the tube. ya, well i got to the mitch sd, an i notice a small crack, so we welded it, while i waited for some more parts. then i got back on road about, 100 miles an the head gasket blew up. that head gasket saved my life, befor the tabs on the gas tank broke...........that year it was like hot man. so i pulled off the exit, an then looked under an the weld had broke, allthe way around the tube an was cracked probably about an 1/8 inch left an the tank was holding the tube together. some guy owned a gas station an we put it in his barn, an i got an a grey hound, rode back, got my car, picked the bike up, took it up to wisconsin, we rebuilt the top end, an fixed the frame gusset. got rid of the around the tube weld an went straight down the tube with the welds. rode it about sixteen hours thru a hurricane, to the chopper festival, in what state was that in? the great smoke out. an it ran fine. i was going to ride it back out to stugis or bust, two years ago, but i think someone didnt want me to ride it an switched the spark plug wires around, an now i got to i think, fix a leaky oil exhaust valve from a back fire:) thats why i took some time off from that an bought a jeep:) i had a jeep back in the day, an the hood flew up, doing about 55, with three girls in it, in the middle of 20 degree snow storm, an it was so fun, i thought i'd buy another one:) an that jeep that i had then, i went around a corner, an the whole corner of the back of the jeep fell off:)...what was that?

I looked around for the upper mounts on them shock towers on a quick search, but couldnt find any, they got the lowers an the backs around for sale? maybe someone else knows where you can get em.

ya the tube, from the neck, to the rear. the gusset.
see at the mark 6.28 where his hand is. see how he got it welded going down the tube towards the rear. i had two diamond plate gussets coming down on each side. an then made a piece to fit, to slide in horizontal, an welded it, across the tube underneath. the force of the pounding of the tube in a downward motion on that horizontal piece, caused the tube to crack around the tube. the way hes got it welded there, he is going down the tube, not across the tube. ya, well i got to the mitch sd, an i notice a small crack, so we welded it, while i waited for some more parts. then i got back on road about, 100 miles an the head gasket blew up. that head gasket saved my life, befor the tabs on the gas tank broke...........that year it was like hot man. so i pulled off the exit, an then looked under an the weld had broke, allthe way around the tube an was cracked probably about an 1/8 inch left an the tank was holding the tube together. some guy owned a gas station an we put it in his barn, an i got an a grey hound, rode back, got my car, picked the bike up, took it up to wisconsin, we rebuilt the top end, an fixed the frame gusset. got rid of the around the tube weld an went straight down the tube with the welds. rode it about sixteen hours thru a hurricane, to the chopper festival, in what state was that in? the great smoke out. an it ran fine. i was going to ride it back out to stugis or bust, two years ago, but i think someone didnt want me to ride it an switched the spark plug wires around, an now i got to i think, fix a leaky oil exhaust valve from a back fire:) thats why i took some time off from that an bought a jeep:) i had a jeep back in the day, an the hood flew up, doing about 55, with three girls in it, in the middle of 20 degree snow storm, an it was so fun, i thought i'd buy another one:) an that jeep that i had then, i went around a corner, an the whole corner of the back of the jeep fell off:)...what was that?

I looked around for the upper mounts on them shock towers on a quick search, but couldnt find any, they got the lowers an the backs around for sale? maybe someone else knows where you can get em.
this was before the diamond plate was welded, see that hole in the neck. i made a piece to cover that, that was welded onto the bottom of the tube. in this picture on the right, its not welded onto the bottom of the tube, it was open, above that circle. for good reason, let me tell ya. this frame is from the seventies. this is all just to say, if you weld, make sure you do it right:)
img016.jpg
img015.jpg
see them two tabs on the gas tank from an back, that is what was holding it together. :)