Is the Gladiator selling very well?

114DF3AD-34C2-4290-A6D9-C33DC9C9C62D.jpeg

JTs pulling TJs. Can’t beat that combo! (Unless it’s an LJ I guess)

Since then, both Jeeps have gotten a little taller….

I bought a JT last year to replace the TJ as my daily driver. And I sold my '87 Comanche and an '82 Waggy to make room.

I'm not sure I understand people saying it's not a good truck. To me it's just as solid of a "mid size" truck as the competition but it really depends on what you want out of it, I suppose.

My reasoning for my purchase was:
I wanted something more comfortable than my TJ for a daily.
I wanted to keep the TJ out of the salt in the winter.
I wanted better mpg and power (ecodiesel)
I wanted something easy to work on (aside from maybe that ecodiesel part)
I wanted something I could do low-medium duty towing with (mostly just moving cars around, towing the TJ)
Solid front Axle. Lockers.
They can be made to look pretty cool and look pretty dumb in stock form, imo. That just makes it more fun to me. I like the controversy. I also like the people that say they're ugly then see mine and reluctantly go well they're not that bad.

Resale value, like the TJ/JK/JL, is great. I built mine to order for 7% below invoice last year when they were selling on lots for a MSRP +$10k mark up. So even if I decided right away I didn't like it or regretted my decision, a quick flip would yield an easy $15k profit. Turns out I love it.

I had been on the fence about getting one since they came out but couldn't convince myself to spend that much money on something with an NA gasser v6 in it. Then when they finally started stuffing the ecodiesel into it I was back on board but they didn't have any colors I wanted. Then they did a short run of Gobi in early 2022 and came across that 7% deal and I jumped on it.

Would I buy one if I didn't still have the TJ? No. I always need a stick shift 2 door Jeep in my life. But having both is pretty excellent. The ecodiesel even on 37s and stock gearing does not give a shit about towing the TJ. And for longer trips into the rockies the JT makes a really comfortable long distance cruiser that can still tackle those basic scenic mountain trails with zero worry. Fitting 37s is stupid cheap on the Rubicon platform and still drives like stock, it's a very comfortable cruiser. And I appreciate the creature comforts way more than even I thought I would. Proximity keyless is dope.

I've also got an 04 Ram SRT10 regular cab 6 speed in the stable, along with some other toys. So if I want to row gears and haul ass in a pickup truck that's an option as well. And you can justifiably argue that is truly an awful truck. But it puts a smile on my face.

View attachment 413479

Best looking JT I have seen. I'd copy that if I were in the market for a mid size truck.

I bought a '22' Gladiator Max Tow when we were finally able to downsize from our 36' 5th wheel travel trailer. We bought a 2022 26' travel trailer that weighs around 5,500 lbs loaded up for camping. I thought I did my homework and the Gladiator should have handled it great. My plan was when we did go camping, I had the perfect exploring rig for doing forest and desert trails in and around Arizona. We live in South East Arizona and every direction from here is up and down hills. Long story, since I have my 05 TJR, I found a '21' Ram 1500 Bighorn with 3.92 gears and non e-torq that's honestly much more comfortable all the way around. I think the Gladiator has a place, and just like any Jeep, you can build it up to how it works for you.

I did the same except in ignorance (and maybe the two big margaritas I had at lunch that day), traded my Power Wagon for the JT, assuming it was the max tow. Apparently it was not...just the base tow package. I outfitted it with an air compressor, Mopar brake controller, and rear air bags to tow my 7k lbs travel trailer. Nope...not a good experience at all. The JT would do it but there was no relaxing, no getting anywhere in a timely manor, and abysmal fuel economy. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gladiator but a towing machine it is not. The JT will tow a 3k lbs trailer wonderfully, but get to 5k lbs or above and it really sucks.

With a heavy heart, I traded my manual trans, Scat Pack Challenger in for a '23 RAM 1500 tow pig. The 1500 outfitted with the HD tow package, V8, and e-torque tows the trailer as good or better than my Power Wagon did and with more comfort.

Reactions: RINC and DavidBT
I bought a 2021 JT Rubicon Eco diesel. Started leaking oil at 3700 miles. Took 7 weeks for parts. The dealer had it for a week. Replaced the oil cooler seal and resealed the timing chain cover. Had it for two days and noticed leaking fuel. The dealer broke my #1 fuel injector, oil cooler was still leaking and now it had a coolant leak at the oil cooler. They ordered a new oil cooler and fuel injector. It took 7 weeks to get the parts. They had my JT the whole time but did give me a loaner. Got my JT back the day before the lemon law would have got them. It was leaking coolant again 3 days later. They said it was a hose clamp on the oil cooler. They slid the old clamp over and put a new screw type on and gave it back to me. It was still leaking. It is very difficult to get to the oil cooler on the Eco D and tried to get away with a fast cheap fix. I was very pissed. They said the would make it right and try to get me in but I went and traded it in that weekend. I got a 2022 Chevy ZR2 Colorado and was very unhappy with the POS transmission they have in that thing. I traded that in for a full size pickup and got my TJ. Good thing I didn't loose any money because of the chip shortage on the trades. I actually got over a little.

View attachment 413559

JTs pulling TJs. Can’t beat that combo! (Unless it’s an LJ I guess)

Since then, both Jeeps have gotten a little taller….

The post above worry me. But since I see you both towing a TJ, how does it do? This is to @bluescapegoat as well.

It looks like @bluescapegoat has an eco-d.

@antwon412 is yours a max tow? Normal tow? Eco-d?

For the trucks that fit what I need it's the right size, but it needs to be able to tow my TJ. Otherwise it's for lumber grabbing and camping with the family.

Reactions: RINC
The post above worry me. But since I see you both towing a TJ, how does it do? This is to @bluescapegoat as well.

For the trucks that fit what I need it's the right size, but it needs to be able to tow my TJ. Otherwise it's for lumber grabbing and camping with the family.

You can’t get max tow with the Eco D, just the normal tow package. The Eco D has a lower tow rating because of cooling issues with the diesel.

• Sad
Reactions: DavidBT and RINC

I have a Mojave trim level which has some soft suspension. It pulls it fine - but the mileage sucks. I get about 10pm when towing it.

I am rated to tow 4500 pounds, which is pretty much what the TJ weighs.
I am sure the eco-diesel tows it much much better, power wise, but I am not sure what the tow rating is for those.

It works. It works fine for my uses. If I was towing a whole lot or towing a big trailer with the Jeep on it, I would have a different truck.

Reactions: LittleTankTJ

The EcoDiesel has issues with temperatures towing, the engineers themselves publicly said they couldn't stuff enough cooling in the front. Not at a realistic price point, anyway. So it's tow ratings are limited by that. I don't remember the specifics but tow ratings are standardized by pulling a box trailer with a large frontal area up a steep grade at a constant speed. People with the EcoDiesel that are having issues with the platform derating while towing are usually driving through the mountains or are at high altitudes on hot days near or above the tow ratings. (6000 lb)

I just have a 3" front and 2" rear coil and spring spacer on my JT Rubicon, so it's running the factory springs and Fox shocks. They're known for a soft ride, and I can tell the rear is soft, but totally controlled and a pleasure to tow with. I have the tongue set up at the appropriate 10% load at the correct height and a dual axle trailer.

So power isn't a problem in the slightest, 442 lb-ft. And the EcoDiesel comes with the ZF 8HP75 trans behind it, which is practically bulletproof. Suspension is a bit soft but no sway and even with an extra inch in the front suspension it sits level with a trailer correctly hooked up. It's just that cooling issue to be aware of.

My towing around here is most just gradual hills. I've had no issues with temps or performance. I average 15ish mpg towing the TJ. Which is better than the TJ gets on its own.

The JT is going to get a roof top tent soon, which means even more weight. I'm planning on switching to AEV high capacity coils that should easily handle the additional weight. Also shopping for a lighter trailer.

There are a few more details in my post HERE including weights.

Screenshot_20230412-103420~2.png

Also, when it comes to EcoDiesels themselves, they have their issues and have the potential to be a real basket case. There's a looming fuel pump recall. Tuners like GDE have already figured out how to save the fuel pumps but Stellantis hasn't implemented anything yet so you're faced with the classic position of voiding your warranty for the good of your property or keeping it stock and waiting for it to explode so they'll fix it. This is a problem with all CP4 fuel pumps in all applications across the industry, not specific to the EcoDiesel. I'm fine with getting in there with a tuner and cutting unnecessary equipment out of the picture if/when problems arise. I send my oil changes to BlackStone for analysis and I'm very specific about maintenance. I'm at 11,000 miles now with no issues

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleTankTJ
I live about 10 minutes from the Stellantis headquarters in Auburn Hills, MI. I see JTs everywhere, all the time. Geographically biased, I’d think they’re selling like hot cakes.

I thought they looked ridiculous when they first came out, I’ve warmed up to them over time. Nonetheless, if I wanted/needed a truck I wouldn’t bother with a smaller truck. I had a Chevy S10 in the early 2000s - it was a great car but anytime I wanted to use it as a truck it was often too small.

Reactions: Zorba
The EcoDiesel has issues with temperatures towing, the engineers themselves publicly said they couldn't stuff enough cooling in the front. Not at a realistic price point, anyway. So it's tow ratings are limited by that. I don't remember the specifics but tow ratings are standardized by pulling a box trailer with a large frontal area up a steep grade at a constant speed. People with the EcoDiesel that are having issues with the platform derating while towing are usually driving through the mountains or are at high altitudes on hot days near or above the tow ratings. (6000 lb)

I just have a 3" front and 2" rear coil and spring spacer on my JT Rubicon, so it's running the factory springs and Fox shocks. They're known for a soft ride, and I can tell the rear is soft, but totally controlled and a pleasure to tow with. I have the tongue set up at the appropriate 10% load at the correct height and a dual axle trailer.

So power isn't a problem in the slightest, 442 lb-ft. And the EcoDiesel comes with the ZF 8HP75 trans behind it, which is practically bulletproof. Suspension is a bit soft but no sway and even with an extra inch in the front suspension it sits level with a trailer correctly hooked up. It's just that cooling issue to be aware of.

My towing around here is most just gradual hills. I've had no issues with temps or performance. I average 15ish mpg towing the TJ. Which is better than the TJ gets on its own.

The JT is going to get a roof top tent soon, which means even more weight. I'm planning on switching to AEV high capacity coils that should easily handle the additional weight. Also shopping for a lighter trailer.

View attachment 415658

Also, when it comes to EcoDiesels themselves, they have their issues and have the potential to be a real basket case. There's a looming fuel pump recall. Tuners like GDE have already figured out how to save the fuel pumps but Stellantis hasn't implemented anything yet so you're faced with the classic position of voiding your warranty for the good of your property or keeping it stock and waiting for it to explode so they'll fix it. This is a problem with all CP4 fuel pumps in all applications across the industry, not specific to the EcoDiesel. I'm fine with getting in there with a tuner and cutting unnecessary equipment out of the picture if/when problems arise. I send my oil changes to BlackStone for analysis and I'm very specific about maintenance. I'm at 11,000 miles now with no issues

Thanks! That post was super helpful. I don't think I have to worry as much as I have been about how it would do towing. I went and test drove one and now it's time to spec and order it.

View attachment 415658

I had no idea the EcoDiesels had CP4's. I have one on my Duramax and would sleep better with it swapped to a CP3. My wife and I really liked the EcoDiesel JL we drove when we were considering getting one.