• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Is the MSD distributor for the 4.0 a mod worth doing?

JEEPdriver

Now it‘s cold outside... Winter is coming. No JEEP drive on the salt streets. Time to modify and repair something on my TJ. Today I open the distributor cap... no good condition anymore, also the rotor. I decided to change this, the spark plugs and spark cables. Now I had the idea to change with a MSD distributor.... but I‘m not sure of this. On my 360 V8 CJ, it was great... but the TJ? Yes, or no?

OP
J

JEEPdriver

Waste of money
Thanks, I‘ll change the cap and the rotor from the distributor. Looking for GOOD material. I don‘t think that the China stuff is good! Mopar? Or what can you recommend? In Germany it‘s hard to find.... there is too much China plastic at Amazon! :rolleyes:

TJ4Jim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Now it‘s cold outside... Winter is coming. No JEEP drive on the salt streets. Time to modify and repair something on my TJ. Today I open the distributor cap... no good condition anymore, also the rotor. I decided to change this, the spark plugs and spark cables. Now I had the idea to change with a MSD distributor.... but I‘m not sure of this. On my 360 V8 CJ, it was great... but the TJ? Yes, or no?
If you Jeep had a mechanical ignition system with points and the like it would do nicely however it is all electronic these days and there are no performance gains to be had with that setup.

TJ4Jim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Thanks, I‘ll change the cap and the rotor from the distributor. Looking for GOOD material. I don‘t think that the China stuff is good! Mopar? Or what can you recommend? In Germany it‘s hard to find.... there is too much China plastic at Amazon! :rolleyes:
Head to NAPA and get their cap and rotor with brass contacts, they are one of the few to still offer them. Oops, I don't think you guys have NAPA there.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I think MSD is made in China these days as well. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd always recommend OE Mopar if you can find it, but if you absolutely can't find it, then you may just be at the mercy of the Chinese unfortunately.

OP
J

JEEPdriver

Head to NAPA and get their cap and rotor with brass contacts, they are one of the few to still offer them. Oops, I don't think you guys have NAPA there.
We have Crown and STANDARD Motors... of I can read the pictures right I can see the brass contacts. Cost about in $ 20 for the cap.

PatMc

TJ Enthusiast
MSD = My Spark Disappeared

I wouldn't run MSD (or any other "performance" ignition) on anything unless the OE type system was simply inadequate...which for everything we drive on the road, it's not.

Reactions: JEEPdriver