Is the MSD distributor for the 4.0 a mod worth doing?

JEEPdriver

Now it‘s cold outside... Winter is coming. No JEEP drive on the salt streets. Time to modify and repair something on my TJ. Today I open the distributor cap... no good condition anymore, also the rotor. I decided to change this, the spark plugs and spark cables. Now I had the idea to change with a MSD distributor.... but I‘m not sure of this. On my 360 V8 CJ, it was great... but the TJ? Yes, or no?

Waste of money
Thanks, I‘ll change the cap and the rotor from the distributor. Looking for GOOD material. I don‘t think that the China stuff is good! Mopar? Or what can you recommend? In Germany it‘s hard to find.... there is too much China plastic at Amazon! :rolleyes:

Now it‘s cold outside... Winter is coming. No JEEP drive on the salt streets. Time to modify and repair something on my TJ. Today I open the distributor cap... no good condition anymore, also the rotor. I decided to change this, the spark plugs and spark cables. Now I had the idea to change with a MSD distributor.... but I‘m not sure of this. On my 360 V8 CJ, it was great... but the TJ? Yes, or no?

If you Jeep had a mechanical ignition system with points and the like it would do nicely however it is all electronic these days and there are no performance gains to be had with that setup.

Thanks, I‘ll change the cap and the rotor from the distributor. Looking for GOOD material. I don‘t think that the China stuff is good! Mopar? Or what can you recommend? In Germany it‘s hard to find.... there is too much China plastic at Amazon! :rolleyes:

Head to NAPA and get their cap and rotor with brass contacts, they are one of the few to still offer them. Oops, I don't think you guys have NAPA there.

I think MSD is made in China these days as well. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd always recommend OE Mopar if you can find it, but if you absolutely can't find it, then you may just be at the mercy of the Chinese unfortunately.

Head to NAPA and get their cap and rotor with brass contacts, they are one of the few to still offer them. Oops, I don't think you guys have NAPA there.
We have Crown and STANDARD Motors... of I can read the pictures right I can see the brass contacts. Cost about in $ 20 for the cap.

MSD = My Spark Disappeared

I wouldn't run MSD (or any other "performance" ignition) on anything unless the OE type system was simply inadequate...which for everything we drive on the road, it's not.

Reactions: JEEPdriver
We have Crown and STANDARD Motors... of I can read the pictures right I can see the brass contacts. Cost about in $ 20 for the cap.
Ohhh my heart is laughing....I forgot Rock Auto! They have all the LiveType MOPAR stuff I need. And the best...they ship to Germany :love:

Reactions: TJ4Jim