Is the Rampage headlight conversion worth it?

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I received a free Rampage halogen conversion kit, so I have a two part question:

1. is it worth it to go through the trouble of getting a harness adaptor to install these? ie: I hear mixed opinions about LED. How would these compare?
  2. What is the stock wiring harness that I need to adapt from? H13?

-

I have LEDs on my rig I would tell you.. I see everything I need when dark.. I see no cons in the Leds, maybe blidingin a bit to guys in front of you but.. better them than me haha!

You're talking about a kit to convert to Halogens from Sealed beams, right? If so, they are plug and play. No wire harness needed. And yes, they are well worth the time and effort to do. Many here have done so, myself included.
You would only need a wire harness if you choose to upgrade your bulbs from the 60/ 55 watt bulbs to 100/ 80 watt bulbs, which again many here have done, myself included.

Reactions: L J
You're talking about a kit to convert to Halogens from Sealed beams, right? If so, they are plug and play. No wire harness needed. And yes, they are well worth the time and effort to do. Many here have done so, myself included.
You would only need a wire harness if you choose to upgrade your bulbs from the 60/ 55 watt bulbs to 100/ 80 watt bulbs, which again many here have done, myself included.

different connection. the rampage are h4

Reactions: Irun
If you put in a conversion harness put a dab of no ox on the connectors and slip a 1" or so piece of 4 -1 heatshrink over it and melt it down. Highly unlikely you're going to take it apart...but still possible!

-Mac

The harness is cheap and conversion process is easy. Just don't expect a huge difference with the H4 lights. It's better, just not night and day better.

Reactions: imactj2004
The H4s are plug and play.

hmm… my tj doesnt have an H4 connection. here’s back of the rampage. the housing going to my existing lamp does not mate to that.

3646992D-329C-4B0F-962A-773A81DC7525.jpeg

hmm… my tj doesnt have an H4 connection. here’s back of the rampage. the housing going to my existing lamp does not mate to that.

View attachment 361557

Then you have some kind of adapter for a different type of light on your Jeep. TJs have always come with an old style sealed beam bulb, which looks just like your lights.
Can you take a pic of your wiring harness? That might help.

Reactions: L J
Then you have some kind of adapter for a different type of light on your Jeep. TJs have always come with an old style sealed beam bulb, which looks just like your lights.
Can you take a pic of your wiring harness? That might help.

lamp is currently on the jeep right now but here’s a pic I took for different purpose. Sorry. bad angle. But basically where the arrow points to is the receiving port for the harness that I have. Coulda swore it was OEM but admittedlt have nothing to compare against and I cant figure out why someone wouldve gone to the trouble of custom installing what is in there now (total shite).

A711D3F9-A6CD-4352-AE34-C9040496B1DB.jpeg

H4 should be plug and play. The connector you've pictured looks to be a harness adapter of some kind. Take @C.J. Roberts recommendation. Follow them back. You should find the OE H4 plug that will mate up to your new lights. If not, someone replaced the OE harness.

Switching to H4's is certianly better that the OE 'candle in a sealed beam' but the LEDs win IMHO. I will tell you with 100% confidence, you get what you pay for. Inexpensive Chinesium LEDs are very often a scattered mess (always in my experience with three different bargain LEDs). I had a set of REALLY cheap LEDs installed by the OP basically as "buy-bait". Replaced them with a frequently recommended LED housing, hated them and then sold those in favor of H4's, which I lived with for a while. Replaced those with a quality set (IMHO) of LEDs that I am thoroughly happy with them.