Is the Rubicrawler worth the price?

Can someone please explain what a Rubicrawler is so I have one more thing to spend money on?

From the Advance Adapters website:

This unit fits Jeeps 2003 to 2011 with the 42RLE automatic overdrive transmission. This new reduction unit replaces the stock 42RLE tailhousing with a 6 gear planetary reduction box featuring a 2.72 low range. This is a true bolt-in doubler that couples to the stock Jeep transfer case or an existing Atlas transfer case.

Features:

The RubiCrawler increases your available gear ratios. This allows you to choose the appropriate gear, depending on the terrain in which you’re wheeling. Proper gear choice will allow you more control of the vehicle. Ultimately, this contributes to a fun, and safe, offroading experience, even in extreme environments.

Ratios with a Stock New Process 231/241 are a 2.72:1 and a 7.40:1
Ratios with a Stock NP Rocktrac are a 2.72:1, 4.0:1 and a 10.88:1

rubicrawler0.jpg

for_the_rubi_crawler_and_one_for_the_transfer_case.jpg

d_to_the_transmission_ready_for_the_transfer_case_.jpg

https://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/rubicrawler/237/

Reactions: qslim
For those that are happy with their current crawl ratio but just want to have 2wd low, Teraflex sells their 2 low kit that can be added to the transfer case. It allows you to shift on the fly between 2 low and 4 low. I have it in my jeep. I do most of the trail in 2 low and just shift into 4 low for tougher obstacles. It works great for me because I run automatic lockers (Yukon Grizzly which is like a Detroit) front and rear, and the front Grizzly does not let the jeep turn very will in 4WD. The Tera 2 low solves that problem nicely. I run the 42RLE trans and the NP231 case. It costs about $250 as I recall.

....It works great for me because I run automatic lockers (Yukon Grizzly which is like a Detroit) front and rear, and the front Grizzly does not let the jeep turn very will in 4WD. The Tera 2 low solves that problem nicely....

You would be amazed by the difference in steering if you could open the rear and keep the front locked. Mine has independent F/R switches. The locked rear is where most of the steering restriction comes from.

That being said, I've never understood the appeal of 2L.

Why is it that this only fits the 42rle? Ive got the 231 and there are plenty of times that I can remember a lower crawl ratio would have been nice. I keep saying it, but I am confused as to why no one is picking up the baton for a 4:1 kit for the 231 anymore.

Why is it that this only fits the 42rle? Ive got the 231 and there are plenty of times that I can remember a lower crawl ratio would have been nice. I keep saying it, but I am confused as to why no one is picking up the baton for a 4:1 kit for the 231 anymore.

The 42RLE has a short tail section that houses just a shaft to interface the transmission to the input shaft of the NP231/NP241.

The Rubicrawler was specifically designed and built to replace that short tail section off the transmission.

To install the rubicrawler, you remove the transfer case, remove the bolts that hold the tail section onto the back of the 42RLE, installed the Rubicrawler inplace of the removed tail section, reinstall the transfer case.

Other than routing the two shifter cables and installing an new shifter bracket in replace of the old transfer case shift system, the Rubicrawler is pretty much as plug-n-play as you can get. There really isn't any physical modifications needed to the jeep body or frame to install the Rubicrawler.

The 42RLE has a short tail section that houses just a shaft to interface the transmission to the input shaft of the NP231/NP241.

The Rubicrawler was specifically designed and built to replace that short tail section off the transmission.

To install the rubicrawler, you remove the transfer case, remove the bolts that hold the tail section onto the back of the 42RLE, installed the Rubicrawler inplace of the removed tail section, reinstall the transfer case.

Other than routing the two shifter cables and installing an new shifter bracket in replace of the old transfer case shift system, the Rubicrawler is pretty much as plug-n-play as you can get. There really isn't any physical modifications needed to the jeep body or frame to install the Rubicrawler.

What does this do to the driveshaft? I imagine the angle is steep for those with a TT, and the 241. Or is it roughly the same size of that tail section that it replaces?

What does this do to the driveshaft? I imagine the angle is steep for those with a TT, and the 241. Or is it roughly the same size of that tail section that it replaces?

It is exactly the same size as the 42RLE tail section. It does nothing to change any lengths or geometry between tranmission / transfer case.

The rubicralwer is the same size as the section that is removed for its installation. It doesn't change the drive shaft angles. I have had one for about eight years now and it has worked flawlessly. I have the 231 transfer case and I will run in 2 low to help keep the transmission temps down. I have an aux. oil filter with a temp gauge, aux. delrae trans cooler and it will drop my tranny temp. 20 to 30 degrees on trails and mountain roads. One of the best mods that I have done.

A while back, someone wondered why someone doesn't make a drive shaft lengthening kit for the 42rle, since that rear section is empty space.