Is the Rubicrawler worth the price?

Shoots I do NOT need to hear this!

Since the Rubicrawler only fits into an automatic transmission, I don't see the benefit enough to want one. You can crawl as slow as you want with an automatic, the automatic's torque converter allows that... it's the nature of the beast.

Now if it was possible to install a Rubicrawler into the rear of a manual transmission, which can't crawl as slow without stalling the engine, I'd immediately see the benefit... but a Rubicrawler can't be installed into a manual transmission.

Since I can currently crawl at .00000001 mph and all the way down to a stop with my automatic transmission, I don't know how I could crawl any slower than that with a Rubicrawler. :)

Last edited:
Some who don't own or have ever used a Rubi-Crawler like to preach that there is no benefit. You won't hear that from those of us who have installed one.

The benefits of a Rubi-Crawler are not limited to low crawl speed as Mr. Bransford seems to suggest. To the contrary, the greatest benefits of the Rubi-Crawler are in the 2.72 underdrive ratio with the transfer case in high range.

Some benefits of the Rubi-Crawler for those who own Rubicons with the NV241OR 4:1 transfer case:

Three low ranges - 2.72:1 underdrive, 4.0:1 from the transfer case, and 10.88:1 by combining the two.

[Caveat: The ultra low range may be a benefit in some highly technical stuff, but so far my 4.0:1 low range has been enough. My evaluation is based almost entirely on the benefit of having the 2.72 underdrive ratio with the NV241OR transfer case in high range. Having the 10.88 compound low ratio is just an added bonus to me, not the primary reason for the modification.]

In my opinion, the 2.72:1 underdrive ratio is an all around better ratio for the easier and moderate stuff in between the technical rock gardens where the 4.0:1 transfer case ratio shines. No more driving along forest service roads, desert washes, etc. in 4 low at very high rpms or shifting into high range and lugging the engine. The 2.72 ratio is the Goldilocks "just right" ratio most of the time for most conditions.

When the Rubi-Crawler is shifted into the 2.72 underdrive the transfer case can be shifted in and out of 4WD on the fly, something that cannot be done with the transfer case in low range. You have both 2.72:1 2WD and 2.72:1 4WD instantly available without stopping and shifting the transmission out of gear.

With the electronic interface provided by Advance Adapters, you can use your factory rear locker in 2.72:1 2WD in addition to both front and rear factory lockers in 2.72 4WD, 4.0 4WD, and 10.88 4WD. All factory switches and indicator lights work as intended in all situations.

Since installing my Rubi-Crawler I have found that I use 2.72 2WD a lot, both locked and unlocked. Generally speaking, I also find that I use the 2.72 underdrive and shift between 2WD and 4WD more than I shift out of underdrive and use my 4.0 transfer case low range instead. It may be not "much more," or "significantly more," but enough more that my Rubi-Crawler has been worth every dime to me.

But as always, YMMV.

Rub Crawler Shifter Side View.jpg

Some who don't own or have ever used a Rubi-Crawler like to preach that there is no benefit. You won't hear that from those of us who have installed one.

The benefits of a Rubi-Crawler are not limited to low crawl speed as Mr. Bransford seems to suggest. To the contrary, the greatest benefits of the Rubi-Crawler are in the 2.72 underdrive ratio with the transfer case in high range.

Some benefits of the Rubi-Crawler for those who own Rubicons with the NV241OR 4:1 transfer case:

Three low ranges - 2.72:1 underdrive, 4.0:1 from the transfer case, and 10.88:1 by combining the two.

[Caveat: The ultra low range may be a benefit in some highly technical stuff, but so far my 4.0:1 low range has been enough. My evaluation is based almost entirely on the benefit of having the 2.72 underdrive ratio with the NV241OR transfer case in high range. Having the 10.88 compound low ratio is just an added bonus to me, not the primary reason for the modification.]

In my opinion, the 2.72:1 underdrive ratio is an all around better ratio for the easier and moderate stuff in between the technical rock gardens where the 4.0:1 transfer case ratio shines. No more driving along forest service roads, desert washes, etc. in 4 low at very high rpms or shifting into high range and lugging the engine. The 2.72 ratio is the Goldilocks "just right" ratio most of the time for most conditions.

When the Rubi-Crawler is shifted into the 2.72 underdrive the transfer case can be shifted in and out of 4WD on the fly, something that cannot be done with the transfer case in low range. You have both 2.72:1 2WD and 2.72:1 4WD instantly available without stopping and shifting the transmission out of gear.

With the electronic interface provided by Advance Adapters, you can use your factory rear locker in 2.72:1 2WD in addition to both front and rear factory lockers in 2.72 4WD, 4.0 4WD, and 10.88 4WD. All factory switches and indicator lights work as intended in all situations.

Since installing my Rubi-Crawler I have found that I use 2.72 2WD a lot, both locked and unlocked. Generally speaking, I also find that I use the 2.72 underdrive and shift between 2WD and 4WD more than I shift out of underdrive and use my 4.0 transfer case low range instead. It may be not "much more," or "significantly more," but enough more that my Rubi-Crawler has been worth every dime to me.

But as always, YMMV.

View attachment 119411

I don’t have a Rubicrawler but I agree 100% with the biggest benefit is having the ability to run in either 2.72 or 4:1 low range.
Sometimes I wish my Rubicon had a 231 instead of the 241 case simply to avoid shifting between low and high ranges as the trail requires.

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Bills assessment.

Another major benefit of those of us with Rubicrawlers is steep downgrades as well. Shifting the Rubicrawler into low and the t-case into 4low it is so much more comfortable truly crawling down steep grades.

I didn't know what I was missing until I installed and used the Rubicrawler. Hands down the best money spent and the best mod I've done to my TJ!!!!!!

. . . Shifting the Rubicrawler into low and the t-case into 4low it is so much more comfortable truly crawling down steep grades. . . .

Then that shall be my next exercise. Thus far I've been satisfied with what the 42RLE can do with 4:1 low range and 5.38 axle gears with judicious use of Black Magic brakes so I haven't experimented much with the 10.88 low range on steep downhills.

I did not think I would like the 4:1 after switching to 5.38s, but It seems fine. I'm with Jerry on not needing any more reduction with a torque converter and I found myself using the throttle more than the brakes going downhill. I would rather have a .82 overdrive to fill the gap between 3rd and OD.

Then that shall be my next exercise. Thus far I've been satisfied with what the 42RLE can do with 4:1 low range and 5.38 axle gears with judicious use of Black Magic brakes so I haven't experimented much with the 10.88 low range on steep downhills.

Since ABQWrangler’s profile says he has an 06 SE I’ll assume he has a 231 case behind the 4 cyl engine. He would benefit from double low much more than you will due to the 231’s 2.72 low and assumably lower compression braking from the cyl vs your 4.1 low and 4.0 compression.

I remember when I had my auto 03 Rubicon I never felt the need for a lower t-case than the stock 4.1 ratio, in fact, most long descents were in 2nd gear low range.

Now having the option of running the 241 in high and the Rubicrawler in low would have been awesome.

Does anyone have experience with atlas 2 speed vs rubicrawler? I currently have np231. I really want the ability to run two drive low on logging roads. I've also experienced multiple situations I would love front wheel drive only. Not sure how much harder an Atlas 2 install is vs RC that's worth considering also.

Love my RubiCrawler. Downhills that previously required riding the brakes and carried a fairly high pucker factor are a non-issue now. Agree with all the other sentiments expressed by actual owners.

I did not think I would like the 4:1 after switching to 5.38s, but It seems fine. I'm with Jerry on not needing any more reduction with a torque converter and I found myself using the throttle more than the brakes going downhill. I would rather have a .82 overdrive to fill the gap between 3rd and OD.
As would all 42RLE owners.

I don’t have a Rubicrawler but I agree 100% with the biggest benefit is having the ability to run in either 2.72 or 4:1 low range.
Sometimes I wish my Rubicon had a 231 instead of the 241 case simply to avoid shifting between low and high ranges as the trail requires.
that's why I like my 04 stick rubi...I can run in 4lo 3rd gear down the trails and grab 1rst when I need it.
161875B0-41AB-4BA2-86E7-815F76B15F8B.jpeg

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Can someone please explain what a Rubicrawler is so I have one more thing to spend money on?

Does anyone have experience with atlas 2 speed vs rubicrawler? I currently have np231. I really want the ability to run two drive low on logging roads. I've also experienced multiple situations I would love front wheel drive only. Not sure how much harder an Atlas 2 install is vs RC that's worth considering also.
Two totally different solutions.

The Atlas is a gear driven case. multiple outputs (driver/passenger/Ford/Chevy) 100% gear driven vs chain driven, and way more strength.

The RC is strictly a solution to NP231 and 241 owners who want more gear reduction and already have the 42RLE.

You can modify the 231 to allow 2wd low, but you can only do rwd low not fwd.