Is the soft top rear window able to be removed completely?

wayno12

I have a Smittybilt soft top for my ‘05 TJ that I bought last year. The top was apparently replaced prior to me purchasing it as the stamped date on the rear window is 2017. My question is, can the rear window be removed completely or can it only be rolled up using the straps? Currently I have always just rolled it up and strapped it, but it would be nice to remove it at times.

The rear windows can be removed completely from the soft top. They simply unzip.

I mean, only you can really tell us. Take a look. Does it look like it can be removed? Is there zippers all the way around? Is there a big plastic clip?

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I mean, only you can really tell us. Take a look. Does it look like it can be removed? Is there zippers all the way around? Is there a big plastic clip?

I'll agree with this. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple fairly new tops with a rear window like my old CJ5, where it had two separate zippers, one one each side, and nothing to unzip across the top.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My .02 - *I* have found that the rear soft top window is a WHOLE LOT easier to take OUT than to put back IN. I got new rear & side windows for my soft top only TJ and struggled SO much to get the new one in that I effectively destroyed one of the two zippers. I now only have a single zipper holding my rear window in, and will NOT be removing it again until it's time for a new soft top...

Ironic you should post this today, as I just (one hour ago) removed my two side windows. I ran a thin rope across the front of my garage from left to right, then "hung" the two windows up using some thick clothespin-like spring clamps; they're they'll stay until early October!

I was able to try to remove the rear window and was finally successful. I had to take both zippers to the left-hand side and remove the corner piece to allow the rear window to be removed. I was told that the rear window couldn’t be removed, so I never really tried it before. I was hoping there was a way and I’m glad the TJ forum came through AGAIN!
Thanks

My .02 - *I* have found that the rear soft top window is a WHOLE LOT easier to take OUT than to put back IN. I got new rear & side windows for my soft top only TJ and struggled SO much to get the new one in that I effectively destroyed one of the two zippers. I now only have a single zipper holding my rear window in, and will NOT be removing it again until it's time for a new soft top...

Ironic you should post this today, as I just (one hour ago) removed my two side windows. I ran a thin rope across the front of my garage from left to right, then "hung" the two windows up using some thick clothespin-like spring clamps; they're they'll stay until early October!

This happened to me too. My question is have you been successful taking the top down completely and just keeping the rear window in? Or not possible?

This happened to me too. My question is have you been successful taking the top down completely and just keeping the rear window in? Or not possible?

Get Smart.jpg

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: DougyintheBushies