Is there a best cold air intake for a 99 2.5?

Who was announced as the winner, and will this be an annual event? :LOL:

Ultimately the “juice is not worth the squeeze” on this. There are more reasons not to add a CAI than there are to add one.
The dyno has shown there is an improvement. Although probably not enough to notice.
Most likely gains are due to filter material.

Here is a test on filters.
https://www.project200.com.au/dm-iso5011/

Reactions: BlueC
So here is some rough math just for fun. So 151ci at 5000 (not realistic I know) rpm pulls 175 cfm. Stock air filter flows 320 cfm brand dependent. So really other than packaging issues there is no reason not to use the stock air box.

Last edited:
E
So here is some rough math just for fun. So 151ci at 5000 (not realistic I know) rpm pulls 175 cfm. Stock air filter flows 320 cfm brand dependent. So really other than packaging issues there is no reason not to use the stock air box.
Where would you say the small change in the dyno HP numbers come from? I know that video was a 4.0 as nobody is running dyno numbers on the 2.5. Lol.

It's not as simple as that.

I'll add gutting or removing a cat will do absolutely nothing for power either....unless yours is plugged. Ive tested that one on more than a few vehicles even bench flow testing them seeing 2-3 times the flow capacity and still Nada in the way of performance gains on the vehicles.

What is “plugging”?

What is “plugging”?

A clogged-up cat. In case you don't know, a catalytic converter has a core which exhaust gasses flow through and magic happens. This core can become clogged-up or "plugged-up" for various reasons. Also, a cat will act like somewhat of a resonator and tone down the exhaust note, but it will not do the job of a muffler.

1674789827271.png

Airbox flow?
Is a CAI pulling cool enough air?

No. Saying "engine X flows this and intake Y flows that which is more, so any changes to intake you make are pointless" is not correct. Using an intake's maximum flow number tells you almost nothing. Just like all those electronic cooling fan numbers you see advertised that mean zero. The pressure differential and how that effects flow does. How much vacuum (restriction to flow) does X filter create at what power level (WOT at 5k rpm) is what the engine cares about.

It also cares about how much dirt it is sucking in and I'm not advocating people run CAIs. I'm just saying understand how it works.

The cat is gone. It is loud. I’ve replaced motor mounts and timing chain, but she’s still too loud. Do you think adding the car back would quiet her down?

The cat will help knock a little sound out of it. Not a ton, but some. You aren't getting any practical power out of not running one though and it's bad for the environment in addition to making your exhaust stink in enclosed spaces.

No. Saying "engine X flows this and intake Y flows that which is more, so any changes to intake you make are pointless" is not correct. Using an intake's maximum flow number tells you almost nothing. Just like all those electronic cooling fan numbers you see advertised that mean zero. The pressure differential and how that effects flow does. How much vacuum (restriction to flow) does X filter create at what power level (WOT at 5k rpm) is what the engine cares about.

It also cares about how much dirt it is sucking in and I'm not advocating people run CAIs. I'm just saying understand how it works.

Neither am I an advocate for CAI. I think keeping the dirt out of your engine is far more important than 5hp.
I am just not a fan of blanket statements. Why not just tell the folks who ask what has been proven. There are minimal gains to be had, however those gains come at the cost of potential dirt in your engine. By the time we put a quality filter on a CAI then any gains made are probably gone.
Some guys may just like the look of a CAI, or the sound.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Agreed and accurate. I think my reply was really aimed at what Blackjack was saying which you replied to. I should have quoted him for my reply, not you.

Reactions: Gollywomper