Is there a best cold air intake for a 99 2.5?

I'll add gutting or removing a cat will do absolutely nothing for power either....unless yours is plugged. Ive tested that one on more than a few vehicles even bench flow testing them seeing 2-3 times the flow capacity and still Nada in the way of performance gains on the vehicles.

Not running a cat on either the 2.5 or 4.0 is a step backwards. These engines are definitely designed with needing some backpressure in the exhaust. I have had to gut the cat on my 2.5 in the past waiting for a replacement and it was not happy at all.

CAI should only be done out of necessity, hiline fenders. There are quality filters available if needed.

This gave me a 10 HP and 10 MPG increase on my old 2.5L. My Butt dyno confirmed it. :cool:
tornadoair (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Not a fan of that filter choice. But there are others.
It is so often repeated, but in fact there may be an improvement. Roughly
5%-ish?
One of the biggest factors he touches in the video is that the fuel trim isn’t adjusted at wide open throttle.

Not a fan of that filter choice. But there are others.
It is so often repeated, but in fact there may be an improvement. Roughly
5%-ish?
One of the biggest factors he touches in the video is that the fuel trim isn’t adjusted at wide open throttle.

I wonder which one sucks more dirt through it? I always drive my TJ at those RPMs. :rolleyes:

but in fact there may be an improvement. Roughly
5%-ish?

The differences there, if any real differences, should be attributed to the variations in filter media and not the intake design, which is also why the no filter run made the most. That appears to be a K&N filter element on the "CAI". To make this a comparison of intakes, he should have used a similar K&N filter in the stock air box. Doing so, I'd bet there would be no significant differences, if any at all, beyond what could be attributed to the dyno. At these low power/percentage differences, some of it can be attributed to the dyno.

We all know about the differences, pros and cons, with filter medias. K&N and similar filters are good for cars/trucks on the racetrack and boats, not for everyday street use or dusty trails.

I wonder which one sucks more dirt through it? I always drive my TJ at those RPMs. :rolleyes:

I run a stock filter from a Honda prelude. Filters great, I run an Outerwear on the outside of it. I spend a lot of time on very dusty logging roads as well. I would not swap out a stock box except for necessity. Have to get creative with hiline fenders. 2.5s get run in the higher rpm range as well.
HP for either engine is well above 4k.

Reactions: BlueC
2.5. Way better than any Hemi……. Lmao.
In no way am I saying the gains are worth the effort, but there “May” be gains, even if very small and in an rpm range not used much. If we could change the wide open throttle fuel trim could we see more?

Reactions: BlueC
If we could change the wide open throttle fuel trim could we see more?

Yes and no. I'd say nothing significant, not at these power levels. At ~500 hp, you could probably tune in ~10 hp finding the right AFR. Proper timing would be more important and beneficial than getting AFR dialed perfect.