Is there a device or regulator to auto shut off tire inflator hose at pre-set PSI?

pc500

I see some of the new air compressors "shut off" at a pre-set PSI. Is it possible to make a air inflator hose with a regulator so I don't have to baby-sit and sample filling progress?

I have a TJ, but on my Nissan the horn beeps when at "normal" PSI. I wish the TJ's had this :)

I see some of the new air compressors "shut off" at a pre-set PSI. Is it possible to make a air inflator hose with a regulator so I don't have to baby-sit and sample filling progress?

I have a TJ, but on my Nissan the horn beeps when at "normal" PSI. I wish the TJ's had this :)
When I switched my OBA to a portable, I simply experiments a few times and saw how long it took to go from 11 psig to 29 psig. I then let the compressor do its thing and set a timer on my phone. I would do other things in the meantime, like pack up trash, unlock hubs, etc. Timer goes off, I check and then swap tires. Rinse and repeat 3 times and I was all packed up, tires inflated, and ready to roll in less than 12 minutes.

A regulator will fill a tire slower and slower as the tire pressure get closer to the target. I had a filler similar to the ARB, but didn't want to hold the lever down. I've seen people use a loose zip tie to keep the lever depressed. I ended up using a ball valve, 1/4" NPT T, 90* for the gauge and a 36" hose to the tire. This allows me to not be kneeling or bent over while filling tires. You young'uns will understand when you get a few more miles on the body.

Screenshot_2021-12-02-17-33-34.png

A regulator will fill a tire slower and slower as the tire pressure get closer to the target. I had a filler similar to the ARB, but didn't want to hold the lever down. I've seen people use a loose zip tie to keep the lever depressed. I ended up using a ball valve, 1/4" NPT T, 90* for the gauge and a 36" hose to the tire. This allows me to not be kneeling or bent over while filling tires. You young'uns will understand when you get a few more miles on the body.

View attachment 293871

I like your thinking. Could take a step further and come out from the gauge with a hose for each tire. Take a coffee (or beer) break while all 4 fill in unison.

Last edited:
I do this, I think you still need to watch a gauge unless your have an alarm or regulator.
I'm thinking more like a pressure switch shutting off the compressor and a check valve, if necessary, to keep air from pushing back through the non-running compressor.

Reactions: R49
I'm thinking more like a pressure switch shutting off the compressor and a check valve, if necessary, to keep air from pushing back through the non-running compressor.
If there was an inexpensive pressure switch around 30 psi I could stick on my compressor manifold in addition to my 105 I'd do it. I haven't found one.

If there was an inexpensive pressure switch around 30 psi I could stick on my compressor manifold in addition to my 105 I'd do it. I haven't found one.
I haven't even looked, as you might guess. What do you consider inexpensive?

There are somewhat reasonably priced pressure switches used in the refrigeration industry but I'd have to look for one that acts as a high limit and will adjust down to that pressure range. It'd be cake if we were filling our tires to 350psig. Even "low pressure" refrigerants aren't low enough to operate in the 20s on the high side.

Less than $100, that's maybe 4X the cost of my 85-105 but I'd still get my money out of it if it was fairly reliable.
Seems like the pressure we need is a bastard pressure range. I saw a switch at McMaster Carr where the one we could use was ~$250 and one that started at 50 or 60psi was $60.

Lite brite ran a system that would inflate or deflate all the tires to a set pressure. Check out their vids from a couple years ago.

Reactions: pagrey