Is there a tire deflator where you can set the final psi you want it to deflate to?

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
It seems like a friend of mine with an FJ40 had something like this. He would dial-in the final psi he wanted the tire to end up at and then screw the thing onto the valve stem. Did I dream that or is there such a thing?

Reactions: gbirk
It seems like a friend of mine with an FJ40 had something like this. He would dial-in the final psi he wanted the tire to end up at and then screw the thing onto the valve stem. Did I dream that or is there such a thing?

Reading your posts and adding the replies to my Amazon wish list has tripled my wish list length. You are not making my wife happy......

Reading your posts and adding the replies to my Amazon wish list has tripled my wish list length. You are not making my wife happy......
Hahaha! That literally made me laugh out loud. Hopefully Santa will read your Amazon wish list and be generous with you this year. (I hope you've been good.)

Try Coyote Enterprises automatic deflators. They are an improvement to the Staun design and far superior to the cheap Chinese knockoffs. [I have tried all three.]

One doesn't "dial in" a desired pressure that can be varied at will, instead they are calibrated to a specific pressure so they work best in situations where one airs down to the same pressure each time. For situations where one typically airs down to different pressures each time depending upon the particular conditions on a given day something like the ARB or Currie deflator would be a better option.

Coyote:
DEFLATOR.jpg

https://www.coyoteents.com/deflators/
https://www.coyoteents.com/shop/

ARB/Currie (same product, different logo):
91Aj2ZofX-L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LQCDOA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had a set of Stahn deflators that were adjustable. They didn't always work well and they were inconsistent in where they would stop deflating.

I recently bought the ARB deflator and it works amazingly well. You can only do one tire at a time, but it deflates extremely fast because it pulls the valve core. Currie makes an identical deflator, but I bought the ARB because the pouch looks more durable.

All of the Staun/Coyote type deflators can be adjusted to a specific destination pressure, i.e., 12 psi, 14 psi, 16 psi etc. They are not designed to be quickly adjusted to different pressures in the field.

I have experimented with Staun, Coyote and several of the cheap Chinese knockoffs. The mechanisms in the no-name deflators would frequently stick resulting in inconsistent final pressures. The Stauns were significantly better but not perfect. Harry Llewellyn's Coyote deflators are a definite improvement over the Stauns and have provided me with consistent results every time I have used them - without exception.

Stauns are Australian and Harry Llewellyn has been the U.S. distributor since they were first introduced. However, after a management/ownership change at Staun, Harry was able to introduce his own "made in U.S.A." Coyote Enterprises product based upon his own R&D and his own U.S. patent that addressed the Staun issues. Harry will still sell you Stauns if that is what you prefer, but Harry's Coyote deflators are better and actually costs less.

My advice is to avoid S*ittybilt, Rugged Ridge and other similar re-branded cheap Chinese knockoffs They are slower, less accurate and prone to sticking. Most negative comments about automatic deflators involve one of these rather than a genuine Staun or Coyote deflator.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
All of the Staun/Coyote type deflators can be adjusted to a specific stop pressure, i.e., 12 psi, 14 psi, 16 psi etc., and are easily calibrated so that all four deflators in the set stop at the same pressure. They are not designed to be quickly adjusted to different pressures in the field just by turning a dial.

I have experimented with Staun, Coyote and several of the cheap Chinese knockoffs. The mechanisms in the no-name deflators would frequently stick resulting in inconsistent final pressures. The Stauns were better but not perfect. Harry Llewellyn's Coyote deflators are a definite improvement and have provided consistent results every time I have used them - without exception.

[Stauns are Australian and Harry Llewellyn has been the U.S. distributor since they were first introduced. However, after a management/ownership change at Staun, Harry was able to introduce his own "made in U.S.A." product line based on his own R&D that addressed the Staun consistency issue. Harry will still sell you Stauns if that is what you prefer, but Harry's product is better and actually costs less.]
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but how do I buy Harry's deflators?

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I have yet to see a set of automatic deflators that work consistently. 3 friends have them. All were different brands/styles IIRC. None worked properly every time.

And they take foooorever to deflate tires.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but we do some of our best visiting while airing down tires. I'm just saying that I have no reason to hurry. I use the ARB one shown above and it works great.

Reactions: Wombat
I thought I liked my auto-deflaters, went to use them the other weekend and they didn’t release any air. I had set them for about 12psi a month before. The ARB was used and got 3 tires done to my one(done the old fashioned way).

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Wombat
I have a set of auto deflators and the ARB deflator and I find myself coming back to the ARB option.
I think the reason is that I'm 100% sure I've got the desired result.

When I used the auto deflators I'd find myself double checking each tire before setting off down the trail which ends up taking longer then doing each tire one at a time with the ARB option.

Anyone interested in a secondhand set of auto deflators going cheap.

I'm with some of the others. I've used staun, have a set of coyotes (yes, for sale now) and keep going back to the ARB.

Reactions: Wombat
I have cheap auto deflators. I put them on at home and drive to the trailhead, ready to go! I don’t freak out about equal pressure. However, I’d love me some Coyotes. Thanks @Mr. Bills for the informative comments.

Plus, did I say auto deflators are far and away the easiest, way easier than ARB, especially a good set!

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't claim to be an expert on deflators. For real information read the how-to's and technical articles on the Coyote Enterprises website.
That’s what I’ve been reading since I left the forum. I’m back now, and sold on these. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I have used the same set of Staun deflators for 11 years. Never had a problem with them. I just keep them clean and they work great every time. I set them for 10 front and nine rear. Put a blue sharpie mark on the rears so I can tell them apart.