Is there a way to check if my electric lockers are functional or not?

MortimerSTS9

Supporting Member
I bought this thing a little while ago and after getting some other things in order I noticed that it has electric lockers and the stock air lockers and compressor are no where to be found. This doesn’t bother me but when I flip the switches I get nothing. I tried engaging them in neutral with wheels off the ground and they do not lock also tried in gear. Both in 4 low. One wheel spins one way and one the other. Is there a way to check If they in fact are functional or not? Do a quick hard wire to a battery with a switch etc? Any help would be great.

I would just use a battery or other source of 12 volts to provide power to each of the lockers and listen for a clunk to indicate they're functioning. At this point I suspect a pretty easy electrical problem.

This is a really stupid-simple schematic drawing I drew up earlier this year for how to wire & control an electric locker.

E-Locker Simple Schematic.jpg

Reactions: Steel City 06
Ok. That’s what I’ll try and see what happens. Shouldn’t matter if a switch or not as it’s just a magnetic that locks when under applied current right?

Looks a lot like a Jeep that was for sale in North Central Missouri a while back. It was Raptor lined and had a bunch of mods. I'm not help with the lockers but it looks familiar to me.

Bought it out of St. Louis so wouldn’t surprise me. It’s been a mess but getting it how I want it now. All new steering got a killer deal on a warn winch and just going through all the mechanics. Went to moonlight a couple weeks ago and it went everywhere I wanted to go for a “test run” but this locker issue is a biggie. I will say this rocky road outfitters and there ott steering/ lift kit is absolute garbage. Glad that’s almost completely behind me

Reactions: AMS417
Ok. That’s what I’ll try and see what happens. Shouldn’t matter if a switch or not as it’s just a magnetic that locks when under applied current right?
I added a drawing above, it may be helpful. If not it will be to a friend with a smattering of electrical circuit expertise.

• Haha
Reactions: Fonz54 and Daryl
So this is what I’m working with. Hooked red to positive and black to negative. Get spark but no sounds and wheels still free. Any suggestions?

1F2A9B0E-5677-494C-A047-166A491B751D.jpeg

85063171-C91A-4209-9C68-A054108159CF.jpeg

Depending on how that locker was designed, one of those wires might be going straight to ground. It'd take a VOM (volt-ohmmeter) to measure to see if either is grounded. If one is grounded, provide 12v to the other side and listen for a clunk.

If neither wire is grounded, provide ground to one wire and 12 volts to the other and listen for a clunk. Look at my drawing above.

Reactions: Daryl
Start at the battery, check the connections, and the fuse. If all the parts are in the dif, it is likely a power supply or ground problem. Assuming it ever worked.

I would just use a battery or other source of 12 volts to provide power to each of the lockers and listen for a clunk to indicate they're functioning. At this point I suspect a pretty easy electrical problem.

This is a really stupid-simple schematic drawing I drew up earlier this year for how to wire & control an electric locker.

View attachment 165268
Hi Jerry - would there typically be a relay in the circuit?

Ok so did a little more digging. Wiring was all jacked up as I expect with any used vehicle especially modified. It has a Eaton E locker in it. From what I have read the Jeep has to be moving slightly to engage the locker. Is that correct since the pin has to slide slightly to engage? I’m hoping so once I get this wired back correctly I can flip the switch pull forward and it should engage. Thoughts?

I've never tried locking mine up when I wasn't driving it but if you engage it while driving on pavement you're going to know if it works or not. Turns will not be easy.

Click it on and make a bit of a turn while backing out of your driveway.

Reactions: chad
That appears to be an Eaton locker? I had nothing but trouble with the connectors that Eaton supplied. I ended up not using them and just making my own connections. I'd recomend running power and ground as Jerry described but doing so while bypassing the plastic connectors.

I am making my own harness. So yeah not using anything from Eaton to wire. Will be using new universal relay new switch UD40 connectors to the locker itself. Will also have a inline 10 amp fuse.