Is there a way to wire headlights to turn off when you turn off the ignition?

Don Snelgrove

Supporting Member
Hey Guys, I just got back into Jeeps after owning a newer Bimmer. Seems every time I use my Jeep at night I forget to turn the lights off. Is there a way to wire the headlights so when the Jeep is off my headlights are off ? I looked for some kind of "auto on-off" kit but couldn't find that either. I know I'l get some shit about forgetting to turn them off but.....once you get used to auto on-off in a newer car it's kinda easy to do (and I'm old now too. lol Thanks

There's a way, no doubt about it. It would just take some electrical knowledge and know-how, of which I am no electrical expert.

So yes, it is possible, though I don't think anyone has ever done it to my knowledge. If you're good with electronics, it would be easy to follow the factory wiring diagrams in the FSM and figure it out.

I mean my unknowledgeable mind says you can use a relay but that would also make it so the headlights can't turn on when the car is off. But then again you could just run another wire after the relay. There's a much neater way to do that....

Reactions: Chris
Disclaimer: I have not verified this will work.

This is how I would do it. It would be a fun experiment:

Your headlight switch will have a main wire that's connected HOT all the time and should be the wire that supplies all the power to the lighting system. It would be the big red wire as shown below.

This setup would energize the relay only when the key is on. So as long as your headlight switch was ON, they would only illuminate when the key was on. You would still be able to turn them ON and OFF, but turning off the key would cut power to the relay and turn everything off.

Screenshot from 2018-10-17 17-09-37.png

I would buy an automotive relay and harness like this one — https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0SATHE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I would then, using the below relay diagram connect as follows:

1) Cut the large red wire from the back of the switch and connect one end to relay wire 30 and the other end to wire 87 (not 87a)

2) Connect a black piece of wire to chassis ground and the other end to relay wire 86

3) The relay you purchased came with a red wire with a fuse holder. Connect one end of it to relay wire 85 and the other end to a fuse in your fuse panel using a fuse tap that's only hot when the key is on. The fuse holder would only need a 5 amp fuse since it's only controlling the relay's coil.

1.gif

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to see your solution, as I too have been having issues from my Bimmer and wife’s Hyundai.

I was considering adding the old-school ding alert system that operates on a switch for when the doors are off.

I'm spoiled by having auto headlights in our Cherokee (and previous WJ), so I wouldn't mind rigging this up in my TJ too. What @CodaMan posted would work for the headlights, but wouldn't the running lights stay on? Maybe two relays would be needed?

I'm spoiled by having auto headlights in our Cherokee (and previous WJ), so I wouldn't mind rigging this up in my TJ too. What @CodaMan posted would work for the headlights, but wouldn't the running lights stay on? Maybe two relays would be needed?

The way I read the schematic, power for all the lighting system, including running lights and tail lights are fed from that switch, so in theory it should work for all of them.

Reactions: derekmac
The way I read the schematic, power for all the lighting system, including running lights and tail lights are fed from that switch, so in theory it should work for all of them.
Nice! I hadn't looked at the wiring diagram yet so I wasn't sure.

I'm also spoiled with Automatic headlights, I haven't had to turn on a light in about 10 yrs.
How about getting the auto headlights system from a Cherokee then adapting it to a TJ?

Worked perfectly...I wasn't sure my hazards would still work, but the do !! Thanks for your help CodaMan. If anyone is going to do this, just be sure to use pin 87 (NO) (Yellow) and not 87a (NC) (RED)...lol..... took me a second to figure out why my lights were always on when the Ignition was off. Fit nicely right next to the headlight switch with and ground and ACC+ readily available.

Last edited:
Worked perfectly...I wasn't sure my hazards work still work, but the do !! Thanks for your help CodaMan. If anyone are going to do this, just be sire to use pin 87 (NO) (Yellow) and not 87a (NC) (RED)...lol..... took me a second to figure out why my lights were always on when the Ignition was off. Fit nicely right next to the headlight switch with and ground and ACC+ readily available.

Glad I could help.

Yes, the 87a would do just that.

If anyone is going to perform this mod..Just be aware that the fog lights and the hazard lights are on a separate circuit and will not be affected by this mod. They will still operate or stay on even with the ignition turned off.

Reactions: derekmac
If anyone is going to perform this mod..Just be aware that the fog lights and the hazard lights are on a separate circuit and will not be affected by this mod. They will still operate or stay on even with the ignition turned off.

Well, the hazard lights should work no matter the position of the headlight switch, but don't the fog lights only work when the headlights are actually on?

Last edited:
big sticker with the words "turn your headlights off" :)

I had "turn the gas off dummy!" stickers on more than a few motorcycles I've owned.